Supporting the Troops: "You're a bunch of dopes and babies"

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
'You're a bunch of dopes and babies': Inside Trump’s stunning tirade against generals
There is no more sacred room for military officers than 2E924 of the Pentagon, a windowless and secure vault where the Joint Chiefs of Staff meet regularly to wrestle with classified matters. Its more common name is “the Tank.” The Tank resembles a small corporate boardroom, with a gleaming golden oak table, leather swivel armchairs and other mid-century stylings. Inside its walls, flag officers observe a reverence and decorum for the wrenching decisions that have been made there.

Hanging prominently on one of the walls is The Peacemakers, a painting that depicts an 1865 Civil War strategy session with President Abraham Lincoln and his three service chiefs — Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant, Major General William Tecumseh Sherman, and Rear Admiral David Dixon Porter. One hundred fifty-two years after Lincoln hatched plans to preserve the Union, President Trump’s advisers staged an intervention inside the Tank to try to preserve the world order.

By that point, six months into his administration, Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, Director of the National Economic Council Gary Cohn, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had grown alarmed by gaping holes in Trump’s knowledge of history, especially the key alliances forged following World War II. Trump had dismissed allies as worthless, cozied up to authoritarian regimes in Russia and elsewhere, and advocated withdrawing troops from strategic outposts and active theaters alike.
"I wouldn’t go to war with you people," Trump told the assembled brass.

Addressing the room, the commander in chief barked, "You're a bunch of dopes and babies."

For a president known for verbiage he euphemistically called “locker room talk,” this was the gravest insult he could have delivered to these people, in this sacred space. The flag officers in the room were shocked. Some staff began looking down at their papers, rearranging folders, almost wishing themselves out of the room. A few considered walking out. They tried not to reveal their revulsion on their faces, but questions raced through their minds. "How does the commander in chief say that?" one thought. "What would our worst adversaries think if they knew he said this?"

This was a president who had been labeled a "draft dodger" for avoiding service in the Vietnam War under questionable circumstances.

How long before supporters say this is good and argue that the president supports the troops?

Trump: "I wouldn’t go to war with you people!"
Generals: "We know, we went to Vietnam."

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
'You're a bunch of dopes and babies': Inside Trump’s stunning tirade against generals

How long before supporters say this is good and argue that the president supports the troops?

I agree with Trump! The US has become dopes, babies, and losers.

We have spent trillions on bases overseas with no intent on winning any endeavor we enter.

I agree with Trump on Afghanistan, either take it completely or leave it, there is no in between.

I agree with Trump that there was a time in America when our military leaders had one objective, total victory in any situation.

Our military leaders today want to play politics with Washington. There is no place for this. Their job is to present a plan of total victory against any foe that opposes the US.

Leave the politics for the idiots in Washington.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I agree with Trump! The US has become dopes, babies, and losers.
He wasn't talking about the US, he was talking about members of the military. This is what usually happens, people shout their support and then edit what the current president said because it actually is that bad. And I'm sure supporters will not miss a beat when they then accuse others of hating and disrespecting the military.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...I agree with Trump that there was a time in America when our military leaders had one objective, total victory in any situation....
Yeah... and then our civilian leaders ordered them: "go do nation-building".

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟107,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I read the article, maybe I didn't address your view of context.

I addressed my view of why Trump acted as he did.
And here we are, giving replies that ignore the president's disrespectful remarks about the military. This behavior demonstrates that previous arguments about love for the military are inauthentic, especially when that professed love is dropped immediately to support the current president.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
And here we are, giving replies that ignore the president's disrespectful remarks about the military. This behavior demonstrates that previous arguments about love for the military are inauthentic, especially when that professed love is dropped immediately to support the current president.

Anyone that reads the articles will see why Trump said what he said. I brought out some of those points, in a previous post.

They will also see through the propaganda that the OP suggests.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And this is the man who represents the Executive Office of the Presidency, the Republican Party, and the United States of America. I can't express enough just how shameful and embarrassing that is. It's unsettling to think about how much lower the moral integrity of America has finally sunk in electing a man like him to the presidency. It's disconcerting that he is the man who represents this nation to the rest of the world. I think it's disheartening enough that he's being associated with the Christian faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,184,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They had no say in harboring and training terrorists?
They, the people of Iraq and Afghanistan, had no say at all. Neither Saddam nor the Taliban were big on democratic governance.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's astonishing just how far Trump's supporters will go to dismiss his immoral and unethical behavior, despite the fact they wouldn't do that if he was a Democratic President and he didn't pander to them.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
They, the people of Iraq and Afghanistan, had no say at all. Neither Saddam nor the Taliban were big on democratic governance.
It's astonishing just how far Trump's supporters will go to dismiss his immoral and unethical behavior, despite the fact they wouldn't do that if he was a Democratic President and he didn't pander to them.

The government in these countries is the problem not the people.

I wish to God that these people were not caught in the middle.

But they are, these governments are using their own people as shields to protect themselves.

I guess with softness on our part, no will for correcting wrong any longer, this will continue until our Lord comes and puts an end to it.

Upvote 0