• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Support...think my spouse is bipolar

AnchoredDown1010

Apr 16, 2017
Mebourne
✟15,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband has struggled with anxiety his entire life. The last three years or so depression has also been an issue. After trying different antidepressants theu out the years and a grow who has bipolar recognizing some behaviors my husband believes he I bipolar. He has agreed to see a psychiatrist but we cannot get in for another two months. The depression phase seems to not be lifting this time. It breaks my heart to see him this way and I'm trying to trust God worg my husband and our future. Any suggestions or encouragement for what to do hntil we get in to see a doctor? The depression gets so bad and I know a could still have a long road Shea of us with trials I medications.really just hoping d some encouragemebt and prayers

• Prayers
Reactions: vinsight4u

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a VERY hard topic because its never meant as to sound hurtful to someone whos bipolar, but at the same time its not easy to deal with someone with it.

My ex-fiance had bipolar but to a pretty extreme level. We only last a few months despite hanging out for days at a time (I was rebelling as a christian at the time so we lived together). I don't think she was on proper meds. After she took out a knife and threatened to kill herself then me, that was the end of us.

BTW not saying you give up, your married after all. Just stay strong, pray and make sure he gets the right help. 2 month is a long wait. Maybe found another psychologist, even if its farther away. So at least they can help now. Then you can switch to another one close by later on and transfer your records to them.

BTW to be fair my fiance also has other mental illness, did weed every day and wasn't a christian. I just didn't have the strength for it. Now my mothers friend who was bipolar had her god and bad days too, but she was a very loving person and east to deal with. On her bad days she would just stay in her room all day and be "grumpy" as my friend said. Maybe thats what bipolar is like when no other mental issues are present. If so I'd probably handle that better.

Praying for you guys. Stay strong. Your husband has a good wife whos willing to be patient and try to understand what he has. Thats not common anymore.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My husband has struggled with anxiety his entire life. The last three years or so depression has also been an issue. After trying different antidepressants theu out the years and a grow who has bipolar recognizing some behaviors my husband believes he I bipolar. He has agreed to see a psychiatrist but we cannot get in for another two months. The depression phase seems to not be lifting this time. It breaks my heart to see him this way and I'm trying to trust God worg my husband and our future. Any suggestions or encouragement for what to do hntil we get in to see a doctor? The depression gets so bad and I know a could still have a long road Shea of us with trials I medications.really just hoping d some encouragemebt and prayers
When I was in this situation, I was told (correctly) that I could go to our local hospital's "mental emergency room." In my case, although I had to wait a long time (no doctor was there), they took very good care of me. A doctor talked to me for a little while and wrote me a prescription until I could see a psychiatrist. In case you didn't know, there are medications specifically for bipolar disorder, although in my case, the new diagnosis was Major Depression, not bipolar disorder (which came later from my psychiatrist).

Make sure he likes his psychiatrist and what he says makes sense to you, otherwise, after you have the prescription, as you are leaving, tell him that you want to try several psychiatrists before selecting one. He will be fine with that. IMO, it would be good to try several even if you do like him. Also consider the possibility of therapy with a psychologist (and medications from a psychiatrist). A psychologist's profession is entirely focused on therapies (and there are some for whom one of their focuses is depression), where a psychiatrist devotes his time to variety of things.

Also, living with someone with these mental illnesses can take a huge toll in the long run (the diseases in question can last for many years), and it is not a bad idea to consider therapy yourself, or at a minimum to attend a support group, which can be very helpful.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like your husband really does need a “formal” diagnosis because until then you really don't know how he can be helped. If he becomes a danger to himself (suicidal) or others (homicidal), don't hesitate to take him to the nearest Emergency Room where they can place him under a 72 hour hold, observe his behavior, and start a process of intervention getting him the help he needs. I would say talk to him and if he says that suicide did cross his mind, that would be enough to take him to your local hospital. I would also say document what's going on. Things can get very hectic and heavy causing you to forget certain details of your husband's behavior but if you write it down you'll have the information for later references. Because you are there, you are your husband's most powerful advocate for him to receive the care he needs so document.

For yourself find a support group or at least one other person you can lean and depend on. If you are of the Christian faith ask other Christians especially those you know and trust to pray. Stay away from people especially Christians who are critical of mental health. Surround yourself with those who are supportive. Make sure that you are taking care of yourself. Eat, sleep, go outside and look at the sky, etc. do basic things that you know make you feel okay. Don't stop trusting God. I believe the resources are there for you, you just have to find them. May God's Peace surround you and your husband and may His Wisdom through the Holy Spirit lead and guide you (((hugs))).

Upvote 0