Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I didn’t indicate in the slightest that I thought Jesus was confused. That question seems out of no where??

I thought it was an appropriate question.

To be clear - you believe the death penalty in modern times is supported by Jesus?? You also believe Jesus himself will execute people??

I believe Jesus has left that up to the reigning powers. The upside of the dp far exceeds the downside.

His return will be quite bloody, and he may put some to death by removing from them the life he has given them, at the judgment.

This based on the information that is available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...His return will be quite bloody, and he may put some to death by removing from them the life he has given them, at the judgment...
We worship two very different Jesus’.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd always figured it's wrong to kill people, so, you shouldn't have the death penalty.

I write off any politician who argues for it. I write them off because they cannot be trusted with power.

I expect my state to behave better than murderers.

I'm just the opposite. If a public official opposes the death penalty I have no confidence that he or she will protect society from any threat to our well being. The evidence seems to bear this out. The nation is falling apart under the leadership of such. :(

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm just the opposite. If a public official opposes the death penalty I have no confidence that he or she will protect society from any threat to our well being. The evidence seems to bear this out. The nation is falling apart under the leadership of such. :(
I think they are the threat to society and our well being. It’s the hypocrisy that’s the first sign. Thinking you can commit homicide and it’s ok, but others who commit homicide are evil. It’s ok when some do it but not others - that means it’s not the homicide that’s the problem but who is commuting the homicide.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think they are the threat to society and our well being. It’s the hypocrisy that’s the first sign. Thinking you can commit homicide and it’s ok, but others who commit homicide are evil. It’s ok when some do it but not others - that means it’s not the homicide that’s the problem but who is commuting the homicide.

Well you are in the catbird's seat as there are very few executions taking place here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You think the USA is more unstable because you don’t kill enough of your people ?? If there was more state homicide you’d be better off??

Execution, not 'homicide'. Absolutely better off. Do the math.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Capital punishment serves no purpose whatsoever.
It does not bring the victims back.
By executing a criminal, we are no longer dealing with one tragedy, but two.
Capital punishment simply fuels society's desire for retribution and vengeance. It sows seeds of hatred and division, rather than mercy and justice.
True justice not only demands that a wrong is put right, but it provides every opportunity to do so.
True justice does not occur when sentence has been passed. It occurs when the convicted have learned from their mistakes and are striving to live a better life.
Baying for blood shows no respect for the sanctity of human life. In fact, it maligns the very One who created it.
Seeking any kind of vengeance, ill-will or violence makes the heart of a victim equally as repugnant as its perpetrator.
"Judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment" (James 2:13)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Execution is judgment, homicide is murder.
I'm not keen on getting into big definition chats - but, I'm pretty sure;
Homicide - killing a person.
Murder - killing without the state saying it's ok (illegal).
Execution - That just means carrying out the act of homicide.

It was rhetorical. The benefits are obvious.
Well do tell. They aren't obvious to me.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Capital punishment serves no purpose whatsoever.
It does not bring the victims back.
By executing a criminal, we are no longer dealing with one tragedy, but two.
Capital punishment simply fuels society's desire for retribution and vengeance. It sows seeds of hatred and division, rather than mercy and justice.
True justice not only demands that a wrong is put right, but it provides every opportunity to do so.
True justice does not occur when sentence has been passed. It occurs when the convicted have learned from their mistakes and are striving to live a better life.
Baying for blood shows no respect for the sanctity of human life. In fact, it maligns the very One who created it.
Seeking any kind of vengeance, ill-will or violence makes the heart of a victim equally as repugnant as its perpetrator.
"Judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment" (James 2:13)

I agree that capital punishment is a terrible thing, but necessary for the good of society. We are a representative democracy, and most favor the dp, so there's that.

Romans 13:3-5
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not keen on getting into big definition chats - but, I'm pretty sure;
Homicide - killing a person.
Murder - killing without the state saying it's ok (illegal).
Execution - That just means carrying out the act of homicide.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own definitions.

Well do tell. They aren't obvious to me.

Do a "split sheet" on it, pro's and con's.

Upvote 0