NY, Boston
✟15,692.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
spiritual abuse = bad church experiences. It's where one is part of a church that has leaders controlling the sphepherd's mind - basically mindcontrolling, even controlling their decisions. it looks like a pretty legalistic church. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Jennifer615

Jul 5, 2004
Cairns
✟8,497.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Spiritual abuse is extremely devestating. It turns millions of Christians away from God and bound for hell. Most backslidden Christians have turned away because of the spiritual abuse they received from a church, a "christian" organisation, or from other Christians.

A spiritually abusive church is basically one that controls their members, is extremely rigid in their beliefs and does not allow any other opinions that are not essential for salvation and makes the Christian feel like a failure or a bad person if they don't do exactly what they say, think they way they think, dress the way they dress etc etc etc. They use mind control and are extremely manipulative.

People can also be spiritually abusive. An example would be a husband who completely controls his wife, gives her no freedom, uses the Bible against her like bullets, constantly tells her what a bad person and bad Christian she is, and uses the Bible to back up his action, saying a wife has to submit to his abuse. There was a lovely lady in the marriage forum who was in such a situation http://www.christianforums.com/t1233484 My heart goes out to those women, as I know exactly what they are going through. Sadly alot of those women turn away from God and join feminist groups.

Here's a good explanation:

The Wrath of God - This is the person who misuses Scripture to get his own way, and who equates his own opinion with that of God. His children grow up believing that the Gospel, which was meant to bring them life, is nothing more than a rigid code of laws. He is uncomfortable with much mention of "grace", and may have some unusual explanations about how grace becomes a justification for legalism.

I was personally spiritually abused by an extremist fundmentalist group on the internet. I was practically made out to be the harlot of Babylon because some of my beliefs were different and I was (heaven forbid!) a women with an opinion! I had to get counselling from my Minister to get me back on track with God. I began to doubt my salvation and think that God would never accept me. A good dose of sane Christianity did the trick!

Spiritual abuse makes God out to be some cold, mean tyrant, instead of the loving God that He is. Yes, we all need to repent of our sins and get out act together with God, but not condemned and controlled.

Here's another good website. Just scroll down to Spiritual Abuse:

http://www.friendsoftruth.net/spiritual.abuse.htm

Well, this is my explanation of spiritual abuse. I am sure there are many here who can add to this.

Reactions: heartnsoul
Upvote 0

heartnsoul

Don't settle for less than God's best!
Nov 3, 2004
in the palm of God's hand
✟11,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
soyness said:
spiritual abuse = bad church experiences. It's where one is part of a church that has leaders controlling the sphepherd's mind - basically mindcontrolling, even controlling their decisions. it looks like a pretty legalistic church. I hope this helps.
To add to your true statement above, spiritual abuse also uses "fear and guilt" tactics to control people. It sends the wrong message to people about who God really is. It sends the message that God is to be feared rather than a God who is a LOVING and FORGIVING God. Two different messages with completely two different results. I was baptized from a spiritually abusive church, but got out of it and fell away for many years. Thank God, years of hard lessons learned and painful experiences brought me to my knees with repentance to where I finally understood who God really is and how much He loves us! :bow: Just proves that all things do work together for the good. Amen! Praise God!! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Jennifer615
Upvote 0

soyness

Mar 10, 2005
NY, Boston
✟15,692.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yea. I'm one of the victim of spiritual abuse 2 years ago (when I left it). But God healed me from it. But it's hard because our connections are "lost", we're not "friends" anymore. Right now, i've been part of different healthy mnistry. Praise God. I just wonder if there are anyone who's been through same expereinces.

Upvote 0

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
Been experiencing spiritual abuse. Encouraging you soyness that it is because of your genuine faith and great shall be your reward! :hug: When people encounter a sincere Christian and they themselves aren't (or not as committed), they get convicted by the Holy Spirit, yet remain unwilling to change, so they attack. Since we battle not against flesh and blood, it is the devil, through rabble rousers, who schemes to try and break the faith of true Christians. No need for the devil to cut down a bad tree already in his territory. Hence his lashing out to hinder a good tree that bears good fruit, in attempt to diminish their harvest that would multiply into many more good trees!

Matthew 5:10-12 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

2 Corinthians 1:2-5 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

1 Peter 2:15, 19-21 For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men...For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God...But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps. “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in His mouth.” When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly.

1 Peter 4:12-14 Dear friend...do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. :holy:

Upvote 0

IronHalo

Mar 4, 2005
Can you see me?
✟408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard about mind control in some 'churches'. They usually involve subtle tones of propaganda blended into the message and usually demand total loyalty from the congregation. They usually erupt from power struggles within the heirarchy. Something every pastor should avoid.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like it's mostly a women's issue (as are most abuse issues, right? I had an incident at work where I had to take an older lady into my office because she was hysterical about someone from another shift. I had one of the supervisors (female) come in with me to talk with her and calm her down. Whenever I spoke to her she nearly went fetal on the chair. Later the supervisor said it was a sign of abuse, probably from husband or father. Makes me really :mad: when women and children are treated poorly )

Any guys out there fall under spiritual abuse?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.