Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Superstition is the belief in the supernatural, of which many religious beliefs are a subset. To be religious is to be superstitious by definition.

I don't find a belief in Christ to be 'superstitious'- the term is seen a bit differently in today's world.

For example, a Christian who sees every aspect of anything as a sign or omen is a superstitious person.
It's something that certainly exists among Catholics given Catholicism's openness to oddities- but it also exists among Protestants as well.

Nonetheless, God is amply regarded as self evident in much philosophy, and Christ is rarely, if ever, regarded as a merely superstitious entity.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In biblical times it was believed that most, if not all, disease was caused by demonic possession or evil spirits. Modern medicine has discovered the true nature of most diseases and in many cases a cure as well.
Early computer users believed that computer faults were caused by bugs in the system. Now we know that they are caused by a number of things that are not bugs. But some silly superstitious computer users still talk about bugs in the system. How so?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Early computer users believed that computer faults were caused by bugs in the system. Now we know that they are caused by a number of things that are not bugs. But some silly superstitious computer users still talk about bugs in the system. How so?

But a lot of the problems in early computers actually were caused by bugs attracted by the heat of the vacuum tubes and causing short circuits. As time went on and we switched to transistors the bug problem went away but the name stuck as a reference to any computer problem be it hardware or software. We still use archaic biblical concepts like "sunrise" and "sunset" and "the ends of the earth".

• Winner
Reactions: GeorgeJ
Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And? That has nothing to do with the OP. Scripture tells us that Satan took Jesus upon the mountain and tempted him. Scripture tells us that he also enter Judas and that Jesus cast out demons.

The Gospel account you gave was about the Pharisees condemning the deciples for eating food which the Jewish law defined as being defiled. Jesus said that what man eats does not defile but what comes from within that can.

Demons can affect man and compel him to do evil. I believe scripture and scripture shows that they are not a superstition.
John 13:2 The devil [adversary] put into Judas's HEART, Simeons son, to betray him! Where ? the HEART, by whom? the adversary and who was the adversry? Mt. 26;10 THE CHIEF PRIESTS
Mk. 1:34 healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils... DIVERS DISEASES, get it now?

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And? That has nothing to do with the OP. Scripture tells us that Satan took Jesus upon the mountain and tempted him. Scripture tells us that he also enter Judas and that Jesus cast out demons.

The Gospel account you gave was about the Pharisees condemning the deciples for eating food which the Jewish law defined as being defiled. Jesus said that what man eats does not defile but what comes from within that can.

Demons can affect man and compel him to do evil. I believe scripture and scripture shows that they are not a superstition.
It says The devil [adversary] entered Judas's HEART... so...who was the adversary? THE CHIEF PRIESTS, He said things that are without cannot delfile but evil things of the heart

Last edited:
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What
Well, for one, you are on a straight up heretical line of thinking- according to Christian orthodoxy, 'demons, devils, and satanic adversaries' are very real and active forces that attempt to torment or otherwise dissuade men from God.

They are largely angels who followed Satan when he rebelled against God's order.

Jesus himself drove demons from a man, and Peter later did just the same. Demonic possession is also in the Old Testament, and existed exponentially before the Crucifixion.
What Scripture? Rev 1:1 saysTHINGS which must surely come to pass so you cannot use anything in John to show a past tense happening. Posession was by sickness, mental disorders and not by anything demonic.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟819,215.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
John 13:2 The devil [adversary] put into Judas's HEART, Simeons son, to betray him! Where ? the HEART, by whom? the adversary and who was the adversry? Mt. 26;10 THE CHIEF PRIESTS
Mk. 1:34 healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils... DIVERS DISEASES, get it now?
Sure, Satan and demons are not superstition but why do you not read scripture in context?
First off, John 13:2 says the devil, not adversary. These are two different Greek words. And you leave out the word already(ἤδη) from "already put into Judas' heart.
Matthew 26 tells us that Judas had already decided to betray Jesus before he approached the chief priests, not the other way around.
You also leave out other key words in Mark 1:34, which says, "He cured many who were sick with various diseases, and he drove out many demons, not permitting them to speak because they knew him."
Now, I don't know diseases that can speak words or that know those who heal them.
GET IT NOW?

• Agree
Reactions: unbelievable1
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟819,215.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It says The devil [adversary] entered Judas's HEART... so...who was the adversary? THE CHIEF PRIESTS, He said things that are without cannot delfile but evil things of the heart
Try again and don't misuse scripture to try and prove your false theology.

• Haha
Reactions: he-man
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recall an inscription found
They didn't know the lord and were not known of the lord

Anyone who thinks there isn't a spiritual battle is also deceived

Who do you think Jesus was saying wanted to sift Peter?

An imaginary adversary?

I agreee with you

Some of these don't come out except by prayer

Just as the lord Jesus told his disciples when they couldn't remove the evil spirit in the man's boys

Those under the protection of the name are under the protection
of the lord Jesus Christ and the power of his name And satan has no power over those who are in Christ Jesus

For greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world

Satan can't cast out God's Holy Spirit
The ancients attributed epilepsy and malaria or fever to demons. These might be healed by God through prayer or in some cases medicine. I wrote some about it on a web page. I quoted fragments of manuscripts dating back to Roman and Byzantine times:

Casting Out a Demon

When Satan was desiring to sift Peter like a pile of wheat, who was Satan? Who eventually took Peter's life in an effort to break up the church and force people to worship Caesar?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Try again and don't misuse scripture to try and prove your false theology.
You have departed from what the living God says, so watch your mouth! Mt. 26:14 Judas went to the chief priests 15 and said what will you give me, and I will deliver him unto you 15 And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. Jn 13:2 And supper being ended , the adversary [devil] having now put into the heart of Judas Iscarot, Simon's son, to betray him.
Heb. 3:12 Take heed brother, least there be in any of you an EVIL Heart of unbelief, in departing fro the living God. Think before you speak! Mk. 7:21 Fpr from within out of the hearts of evil men proceed evil thoughts...

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why are people who say they are Christian so superstitious when it involves demons, devils, and satanic adversaries that are actually idols and thoughts in the heart of evil thinking men?

You're confusing Idol pagan "gods" in the OT with real demonic forces led by Satan.

Sure some "gods" are just idols and made of Gold and rock but some "gods" exist.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're confusing Idol pagan "gods" in the OT with real demonic forces led by Satan.

Sure some "gods" are just idols and made of Gold and rock but some "gods" exist.

Mark 12:32

And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mark 12:32

And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

one "God" not one "god"

2 Corinthians 4:4

“In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”

King James Version (KJV)

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Is 43:10 ..that you may know and believe me and understand that I am He: before me there was no God formed neither shall there be after me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Is 43:10 ..that you may know and believe me and understand that I am He: before me there was no God formed neither shall there be after me.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i'll repeat what I just said to another who tried to come at me with the same verse...

one "God" not one "god"

“In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”

King James Version (KJV)

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Additionally, i'm apostolic... trust me we emphasis the One God concept probably more so then anyone else does... i'm not promoting multiple omnipresent beings. I'm speaking of "gods" little g or in other words beings who don't deserve such a title yet in the bible were/are worshipped/uplifted as if they are the equal of the mighty God.

And some of these beings such as Satan exist.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
one "God" not one "god"

King James Version (KJV)
Who or what do you believe the god of this world is? And if you believe you serve the big G, why is there need to fear little g's?

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
one "God" not one "god"

King James Version (KJV)
I whom the God of this world has blinded the minds of them which believe not least the glorious light of the image pf God should shine unto them. All of the ancients read "whom the GOD of this world" as meaning the Supreme Being. [John GILL]

Upvote 0