Superman's son comes out as bisexual in a new comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,913.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Supes. Social Justice Warrior and mainstream media journalist since 1938.

superman_refugee.jpg

How about you two young boys coming on a trip overseas with me? Hold on to me nice and tight...

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟274,876.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah but most of the public is not really familiar with the Extended Universe they only know about the stuff in the movies, and a few may have watched some of the episodes of Clone Wars or Star Wars Rebels.

Except all of those female Jedi I mentioned (with the exception of Nomi Sunrider) were from either the original trilogy or the prequel trilogy. Most of them were masters on the council

Just because there wasn't a female Jedi protagonist in the first two trilogies, doesn't mean there weren't female Jedi in universe.

There is a lot of good material there.

There's an awful lot of rubbish too. I'm looking at my 'Star Wars' book shelf at the moment, and there's more than 150 pre-Disney EU novels there (and about 15 post Disney ones). I'd say there's only about 30 EU novels that count as 'good' - and most of those aren't tentpole movie sort of stories.

I actually love the back story of things like the History of the Sith. I would have loved a series dealing with the Old Republic, or one dealing with the extended universe that happened after the fall of the Empire as depicted in the various novels, comic books etc. Which I never read, but after the second Trilogy I got into reading the history and lore via the internet especially after playing the Bioware Star Wars game and their MMO.

Part of the problem was laziness. There was so much EU content Abrams and Kennedy borrowed elements without really having a proper appreciation for the where a lot of the plot points, characters and world building elements ended up at, and the process taken to get there. Like grabbing a kettle and not understanding why its hot.

They shoehorned a lot of stuff into the sequel trilogy that didn't mesh well together. There's elements of Zahn's 'Thrawn Trilogy' in the general setting (which are considered some of the best EU writing), but Zahn at least gave us a proper explanation for the fall of the Empire.

There bits of Dark Empire, the Jedi Academy trilogy, Fate of the Jedi and the Thrawn Trilogy again in the plotting - which is a super mixed bag, because some of its great and some of its execrable.

There are lots of parts of The New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force series in the characters (particularly Ben/Kylo, Luke and Leia) and some other character elements taken from a bunch of other places.

Sticking to the original source material and simply adapting it for movies, TV shows like what the Walking Dead did for the original TV show would be a no brainer path to success, but some people just got to do their own thing....

What original source material?

If you're going with the High Republic as a lead in to a new Star Wars trilogy, you're swimming uphill. Particularly in the risk averse studio environment.

Listen to some of the interviews with Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote Empire, Jedi and The Force Awakens) about the writing process - Disney had put $2.2 billion in cash plus about 37 million shares (then worth about $50 a share, now worth nearly $200 a share) in buying Star Wars and it wanted a win straight away.

If you're going with post Return of the Jedi EU, that's a total no go because you want your familiar characters as audience touchstones, and there's no way to do that with the EU content as it is.

If you want to see how to bring in EU content into the Star Wars universe, look at the Mandalorian and the Rebels cartoon and the final Clone Wars season. Filoni has a proper understanding of what worked and what didn't in the EU - and he borrowed only the bits that worked within the setting and story he was telling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Except all of those female Jedi I mentioned (with the exception of Nomi Sunrider) were from either the original trilogy or the prequel trilogy. Most of them were masters on the council

Just because there wasn't a female Jedi protagonist in the first two trilogies, doesn't mean there weren't female Jedi in universe.

Yeah that kind of was what the Clone wars was good at giving all those people lines and featured stories that mostly acted like scenery in the prequal trilogy.

I was drawing a comparison how the original Walking Dead TV series stuck pretty close to the earlier Walking Dead comic books (Which I never read but read about online), compared to the Abrahams movies that sorta drew a little inspiration from some of the Jacen Solo stories for Kylo Ren but mostly did their own thing.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,913.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

There's an awful lot of rubbish too. I'm looking at my 'Star Wars' book shelf at the moment, and there's more than 150 pre-Disney EU novels there (and about 15 post Disney ones). I'd say there's only about 30 EU novels that count as 'good' - and most of those aren't tentpole movie sort of stories.

Part of the problem was laziness. There was so much EU content Abrams and Kennedy borrowed elements without really having a proper appreciation for the where a lot of the plot points, characters and world building elements ended up at, and the process taken to get there. Like grabbing a kettle and not understanding why its hot.

They shoehorned a lot of stuff into the sequel trilogy that didn't mesh well together. There's elements of Zahn's 'Thrawn Trilogy' in the general setting (which are considered some of the best EU writing), but Zahn at least gave us a proper explanation for the fall of the Empire.

There bits of Dark Empire, the Jedi Academy trilogy, Fate of the Jedi and the Thrawn Trilogy again in the plotting - which is a super mixed bag, because some of its great and some of its execrable.

There are lots of parts of The New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force series in the characters (particularly Ben/Kylo, Luke and Leia) and some other character elements taken from a bunch of other places.

If you're going with the High Republic as a lead in to a new Star Wars trilogy, you're swimming uphill. Particularly in the risk averse studio environment.

Listen to some of the interviews with Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote Empire, Jedi and The Force Awakens) about the writing process - Disney had put $2.2 billion in cash plus about 37 million shares (then worth about $50 a share, now worth nearly $200 a share) in buying Star Wars and it wanted a win straight away.

If you're going with post Return of the Jedi EU, that's a total no go because you want your familiar characters as audience touchstones, and there's no way to do that with the EU content as it is.

If you want to see how to bring in EU content into the Star Wars universe, look at the Mandalorian and the Rebels cartoon and the final Clone Wars season. Filoni has a proper understanding of what worked and what didn't in the EU - and he borrowed only the bits that worked within the setting and story he was telling.

They lost me with Solo's 15 parsecs. Post hoc justification didn't save me from immediately realising that the writers had no idea what a parsec was. Nothing else rings true after that.

There's a scene in the Godfather where Sonny is beating up his brother-in-law for hitting his sister. There's one long shot where a Sonny haymaker misses by a foot but Rizzi's head snaps back. It's so obvious it beats me why they didn't cut it. I'll watch the film any time it's on but if something is obviously wrong it spoils the whole film. So I literally have to turn away at that moment. Don't watch the clip if you feel the same way (slow it down at 28 seconds):

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lucas started ruining Star Wars looooooong before Disney got involved.

lol yeah he did make some decisions I was less than happy with. Midicholorians, Jar Jar Binks

And the line from Revenge of Sith, "Only the Sith deal in absolutes!" was kind of a way of working in some kind of social commentary against the war against Terror I suspect but sort of ignored the Jedi code depicted in the original Star Wars movie where the Jedi's "never use the Force to attack" etc.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,913.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Your suspension of disbelief threshold in a movie about magical knights and space wizards was terminological accuracy?

Oddly, yes. I can cope with fantasy (Lord of The Rings etc) and I don't mind some Space Opera (Star Wars etc). But I prefer hard sci fi (The Martian being a great example). If it's mix and match I don't mind but it has to be coherent and structurally consistent.

But maybe I'm overthinking this...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This sums it up.

And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.
— Romans 1:28-32
This should be a violation of the rules here. Saying these people are worthy of death.

• Winner
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟274,876.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oddly, yes. I can cope with fantasy (Lord of The Rings etc) and I don't mind some Space Opera (Star Wars etc). But I prefer hard sci fi (The Martian being a great example). If it's mix and match I don't mind but it has to be coherent and structurally consistent.

But maybe I'm overthinking this...

Star Wars isn't even Space Opera - it's Space Fantasy.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,913.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Star Wars isn't even Space Opera - it's Space Fantasy.

I'm happy with how it's defined in wiki:

'Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes science fictional space warfare, with use of melodramatic, risk-taking space adventures and chivalric romance. Set mainly or entirely in outer space it features technological and social advancements (or lack thereof) in faster-than-light travel, futuristic weapons and sophisticated technology on backdrop of galactic empires and interstellar wars with fictional aliens often in fictional galaxies. The term has no relation to music, as in a traditional opera, but is instead a play on the terms "soap opera", a melodramatic television series, and "horse opera",[1] which was coined during the 1930s to indicate a clichéd and formulaic Western movie. Space operas emerged in the 1930s and continue to be produced in literature, film, comics, television, and video games.

An early film which was based on space-opera comic strips was Flash Gordon (1936), created by Alex Raymond.[2] Star Wars films (1977–) by George Lucas and Star Trek TV series (1966–) by Gene Roddenberry, brought a great deal of attention to the sub-genre.'

If you're a big fan, you might prefer a different definition. But the force was never with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I quoted scripture in context.
I understand what your bible says. It says that homosexuals are worthy of death. That kind of language should be pushed back on.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I understand what your bible says. It says that homosexuals are worthy of death. That kind of language should be pushed back on.
It says that all sinners are worthy of death.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.