• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Superman's son comes out as bisexual in a new comic.

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by jayem, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clizby WampusCat

Clizby WampusCat Well-Known Member

+752
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    How does this make it any better? You also quoted that verse in response to a gay superman. The context was clear.

2. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Eccentric Eclectic Existentialist at work! Supporter

+7,799
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I can understand the upset among Secularists when some Christians of a Theonomic bent try to press for a more legal type of influence with the Bible. But there is a difference between citing that in the O.T. era among the Israelites, homosexuality was disdained by Law and is spiritually detrimental VERSUS Christians of some sort or other today insisting that American Laws should incorporate the same measures.

How much "push back" are you wanting to make in this regard? Like the kind where it becomes illegal to resort to citing Paul the Apostle's teachings anywhere at anytime in any church, across the board?

3. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+23,298
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Most of them don't harp on the stuff about divorce and remarriage anymore. So with luck, the future will see fewer and fewer harping on these other hangups.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Hammster

Hammster I’m for peace, but when I speak, They are for war. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+22,307
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    It’s not supposed to be better. It’s supposed to show that we are all sinful and that there’s a coming judgement. The subject here just happens to be about homosexuality, and the scriptures are clear about its sinfulness.

5. Hammster

Hammster I’m for peace, but when I speak, They are for war. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+22,307
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Let me know when one of those topics comes up. I have verses. ;)

6. Clizby WampusCat

+752
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    When Christians believe that God "wrote" the bible then it is problematic. Because then they believe that God at one point told people to kill homosexuals.

Nope, I never said this. I said hate speech is free speech. It should never be illegal to say things with the exception of certain situations the supreme court has outlined. But that does not mean those ideas should not be pushed back on by protest or peaceful confrontation etc.

7. Clizby WampusCat

+752
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Yes, Leviticus says to kill them, not wait for God's judgement like other sins. So it is a sin that has different punishment than others at least at one time in history.

8. Hammster

+22,307
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Can you quote the verse? And the context?

9. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Eccentric Eclectic Existentialist at work! Supporter

+7,799
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    ok. I understand you think this, but we've been over this kind of topic in the past and I think we've both stated our respective positions on it.

You're correct. You didn't say that, and fortunately I didn't imply that you did. Hence, the reason I asked you two questions rather than making statements of qualification, the purpose of which was to invite you to clarify your meaning, and you have done that.

As for push back, I understand your advocacy on this point as well since my entire Master's Degree involved working through a secular education for the promotion of various forms of Liberal Social Activism on behalf of socially disadvantaged and deprived groups. So, don't think I don't empathize with folks who have felt the direct brunt of prejudice and discrimination. However, what I am concerned about is that the supposed supposition of your form of political push back isn't much different in form than that of some politically invested Christians, that your intent (along with groups like the Freedom From Religion Foundation) is to more or less place a muffler on all kinds of Christian speech in the public arena.

Am I wrong in having this concern, that the social measures you're advocating essentially lead to a kind of coerced shutdown or 'cancellation' of Christian speech and thought?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  10. Bradskii

Bradskii Well-Known Member

+2,604
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Quoting scripture is obviously allowed. I guess what people might want to know is how you interpret it. You must know that some people take this section literally: 'that those who practice such things are worthy of death'.

I'm certain that you don't think that homosexuals should be killed. No reasonable person could think that. But just quoting that passage without further comment doesn't give it any context. Let's just say that it's not a good look...

11. Hammster

+22,307
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    All sinners are worthy of death. But in this context, homosexuality is the evidence of God’s wrath. So it’s not a good idea to be supporting something that is evidence of God’s wrath on humanity.

12. Bradskii

+2,604
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    That's an answer to a question I didn't ask. I certainly didn't ask, or was suggesting, that you might support homosexuality if you didn't quote that passage or read it in a non literal sense.

Which was the question. And not answering it only gives credence to those who might suggest that you do take it literally. Which again I would suggest, is a position no reasonable person could take. Clarifying your position in that regard would prevent those people from thinking that of you.

13. Hammster

+22,307
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I do take it literally. I take all of scripture literally.

14. Bradskii

+2,604
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Then people's perceptions of you will reflect the fact that you think that homosexuals should be killed. To be perfectly honest, that a moderator feels he can espouse such extreme views makes me wonder what else might be allowed. Seems odd that one cannot suggest that covid is a conspiracy (a quite reasonable rule) yet one can propose that gay people be put to death.

I should ask for clarification on the rules so I don't fall foul of them myself.

15. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+13,254
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    You believe the Earth is flat?

16. Bradskii

+2,604
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Talking trees?

17. Hammster

+22,307
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    No.

18. Hammster

+22,307
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    No.

19. Hammster

+22,307
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I never said that. And I have been clear, but you don’t want to take me at face value. You want me to say that homosexuals should be stoned, and that’s not my view.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  20. Bradskii

+2,604
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Literal apparently means something different to you than it means to me. Or it means the same and you only apply it when it you think it should be applied. I'd guess the second. But you are free to confirm that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.