Superman V. Jesus

L

Lovely Lane

Look! in the air, it's a bird, it's a plane...it's WHO, Superman or Jesus?

Is Superman a Christ figure, in having characteristics of Jesus?
...a martyr sacrificing himself for a greater good.
Christ figure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Superman and Jesus
“Superman’s story goes something like this… From above, a heavenly father sends his only son to save the Earth. When he comes down to Earth, he’ll be raised by two parents who originally had the names Mary and Joseph – now this is the Superman story we are talking about,” Skelton says.
When Superman comes of age, he travels to the artic wilderness to commune with his father’s spirit, which mirrors Christ’s journey into the desert.
“At age 30, Superman will embark on his public mission – this is the same age as Christ,” he explains. “And then Superman will, in his mission as ministry, fight for truth and justice, two fundamental, biblical principles to base a mission on.”
He comes back to life after being killed in the last comic book published in 1992 called The Death of Superman. Then, Superman comes back to Earth – this is where the storyline in 2006's Superman Returns picks up.
“Within the specifics of that story, I know of no other story that mirrors it so closely than the Christ story,” Skelton says.
Superman and Jesus: Superman's Origin and Parallels to Jesus

Any Similarities?
"'Man of Steel' also features examples of the similarities between Christ and Superman, such as Superman being shackled prior to being interrogated just as Jesus was shackled before facing interrogation. Another example in the new film is Superman's ascent into the heavens just as Jesus ascended following his resurrection."
Is 'Man of Steel' Superman Really Based on Jesus?

Violence vs. Peace? shall we fight or teach not to fight?
Jesus was the antithesis of the might-makes-right solutions which we find in superhero stories. In the Christian story, salvation is offered through a cross, through the hero laying down his life rather than wiping out all of the bad guys. His life and death are the embodiment of an argument which says, "there is nothing redemptive about violence."
Mark Sandlin: Superman vs. Jesus

L

Lovely Lane

What others are saying...

So how does Superman fare, religiously, in “Man of Steel?"
Well he’s not Jewish…that’s for sure. In fact, he’s as non-Jewish as the Pope is Catholic.
And here are the top six reasons why. [WARNING: Spoilers ahead]
JewishJournal.com

1) Holy Trinity. There’s a strong father-son theme in this movie between Superman (Henry Cavill) and his human father, Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner). Throughout the film, repeated flashbacks recall this relationship, establishing context for Superman’s morality. Later, Superman is introduced to the holographic consciousness of his biological father, Jor-El (Russell Crowe). In this incarnation, Jor-El offers guidance and a sense of clarity to Superman (known by his Krypton name, Kal-El). It’s even hinted that Jor-El is like a ghost. So here we have it, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
2) Superman goes to church, seriously. In a moment of uncertainty, Clark Kent finds himself in church seeking advice from a minister. Furthermore, you can see a stained glass Jesus in the background of a close-up on Clark. Real subtle.
3) Superman is willing to die for our sins. In the film, General Zod (Michael Shannon) requests that the people of Earth deliver Superman in exchange for not destroying the planet (Seems legit). Superman, of course, turns himself in. Such a mensch.
4) Superman LOVES to pose like Jesus. There’s a scene where Superman leaps from a spaceship outside the Earth’s atmosphere. Instead of taking a confident nosedive or cannonball, he falls backwards from the ship with his arms extended, mimicking a “cross.” I’d say it’s a coincidence, but this poses happens twice (at least).
5) Immaculate conception. Or rather…the only conception. In this story, Superman is actually the first natural birth on Krypton in centuries. Other babies are born via some Kryptonian harvest that grows infants out of pods. (It’s like “The Matrix” meets “Children of Men.”) Why don’t Krypton women give birth anymore? Probably because Krypton’s Sunday morning farmer’s market has the freshest babies in town. That…or Jor-El forgot to buy Kryptonite-coated condoms.
And finally…
6) Superman is 33 and unmarried. If he were Jewish, his mom would be ALL over that.
http://www.jewishjournal.com/bloggish/item/six_reasons_why_superman_is_jesus_christ_in_man_of_steel

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
“Superman’s story goes something like this… From above, a heavenly father sends his only son to save the Earth. When he comes down to Earth, he’ll be raised by two parents who originally had the names Mary and Joseph – now this is the Superman story we are talking about,”

Except that Superman wasn't sent to "save the Earth." His planet was about to be distroyed--his parents sent him to Earth to save him. His Earthly mother was originally named Mary but his father was originally not named, and the names of his Earthly parents varied over the years. They are most commonly named Martha and Jonathan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Except that Superman wasn't sent to "save the Earth." His planet was about to be distroyed--his parents sent him to Earth to save him. His Earthly mother was originally named Mary but his father was originally not named, and the names of his Earthly parents varied over the years. They are most commonly named Martha and Jonathan.

This thread is about that new Superman movie; "Man Of Steel" I haven't seen it but they say it has made millions already. Prior to the release, a private viewing for clergy took place. Thus, we have conversation of Superman v. Jesus in morals and in saving the world. Where Superman is given over to the enemy to save the world to die for it's sins, he was a natural born Kryton where others where hatched some how, etc.

I find it odd that clergy would use Superman to discuss Jesus, but I guess that is just me.

Man of Steel (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Man of Steel | Ministry Resources
Man of Steel marketing campaign seeks to align Superman with Jesus | Film | guardian.co.uk

Upvote 0

NJBeliever

Apr 29, 2009
New Jersey
✟9,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Superman is a MYTH. It's a FICTION story.

Jesus Christ is real and alive.

The movie itself is basically a promotion for the Anithchrist. The over-the-top comparisons in the movie with The Lord Jesus Christ are blasphemy. But that has not stopped thousands of pastors across the country from preaching pre-written "Man of Steel" sermons and forcing this nonsense on their unwitting congregations.

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. - 2 Peter 1:16.

Upvote 0

Jake Brake

May 31, 2013
Earth
✟15,450.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I can see the similarities. Both use super powers to fight crime and save the world.

The only differences I see is that Superman doesn't condemn anyone to hell, Superman isn't prejudiced in only saving one set of people first before others, Superman respects the rights of all citizens whereas the church who is the voice of Jesus does otherwise.

The reason I point out the differences is that Christians explained it to me those things I listed, so it must be the opinion of all Christians. Jesus came to save the Jews, then when they refused Jesus, then the Gentiles were the secondary group to be saved.
Also, I'm told that homosexuals are not to be married according to the church. And also, Jesus sends those to hell who refuse to follow him.

Upvote 0