Sunday Worship is not sanctioned in Scripture.

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟425,061.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The word Sunday is not found in the Bible. In the New Testament the first day of the week is mentioned eight times. In none of the eight instances is the first day said to be a day of worship, never is it said to be the Christian substitute for the Old Testament Sabbath, and never do the texts suggest that the first day of the week should be regarded as a memorial of Christ's resurrection. Let us briefly consider each of the eight New Testament passages that mention the first day of the week.

Matthew 28:1, "After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. And suddenly there was a great earthquake...." Jesus was crucified on Friday. He rested in the tomb over the Sabbath and rose early on Sunday morning. The verse indicates that the women disciples returned to the tomb at the very first opportunity after the death and burial of Jesus. Because the Sabbath came so soon after His burial, they could not approach the tomb again until after sundown on Sabbath evening.(The Sabbath began at sundown on the sixth day and ended at sundown on the seventh day; compare Lev. 23:32; Neh. 13:19; Mark 1:21, 32) Early Sunday morning was the most convenient time for them to visit the tomb.

Mark 16:1, 2, "When the sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. And very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to the tomb."Mark records the same events as Matthew with the additional information that the women visited the tomb early on the Sunday morning for the express purpose of anointing Jesus' body with spices.

Mark 16:9, "Now after he rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons."This verse simply records that, after His resurrection early on the Sunday morning, Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene.

Luke 23:54 * 24:1, "It [the day of Jesus' death and burial] was the day of Preparation, and the sabbath was beginning. The women who had come with him from Galilee followed, and they saw the tomb and how his body was laid. Then they returned, and prepared spices and ointments. On the sabbath they rested according to the commandment. But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb, taking the spices that they had prepared." The Sabbath came a few hours after Jesus' death on the cross. The women disciples "rested the sabbath day according to the commandment" (Luke 23:56, KJV). Then very early in the morning of the first day they visited the tomb to anoint the body of Jesus. The fact that they observed the Sabbath rest is sufficient indication that Jesus had never attempted to change the day or to suggest that after His death the first day would replace the Sabbath. Writing years after the event, Luke gave not the slightest hint that, even though the women disciples of Jesus observed the Sabbath, such a practice was no longer expected of Christians. He simply recorded that the Sabbath day "according to the commandment," which Jesus' followers were careful to observe, was the day after the crucifixion day (Friday), and before the resurrection day (Sunday).

John 20:1, "Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the tomb."Mary Magdalene visited the tomb early the first day of the week. Nothing is said of Sunday as a day of worship or rest.

John 20:19, "When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said,'Peace be with you.'" On the evening of the first day of the week the disciples were assembled behind locked doors "for fear of the Jews." Jesus appeared to them at that time. The passage does not say that henceforth Sunday was to be the day for worship. Since it was the evening of the first day of the week that Jesus appeared to the disciples, it was after sundown. According to Jewish reckoning this was actually the beginning of the second day (Monday; compare Gen. 1:5, 8). A week later when Thomas happened to be present, Jesus met with the disciples again (verse 26). But, writing years later, John records nothing regarding Sunday as a day of Christian worship. John's narrative gives no warrant for regarding Sunday as a substitute for the Sabbath or as a day to be distinguished by Christians above any other day of the week. And there is no indication in the passage that Sunday should henceforth be observed as a memorial of Christ's resurrection.

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟425,061.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acts 20:7, "On the first day of the week, when we met to break bread, Paul was holding a discussion with them; since he intended to leave the next day, he continued speaking until midnight."Since the meeting was held at night on the first day of the week, it may have been Saturday night.

According to Jewish reckoning, the Sabbath ended and the first day of the week began at sundown of the seventh day. If it were Sunday evening, the event gives no suggestion that Sunday should be observed as a day of worship. The following verses record that Paul preached a sermon on Thursday. The next day after the meeting recorded in Acts 20:7 (Monday), Paul and his party set sail for Mitylene (Acts 20:13, 14). The following day (Tuesday) they arrived opposite Chios (verse 15). The next day (Wednesday) they passed Samos (verse 15), and the day after that (Thursday) they arrived at Miletus (verse 15). The elders of the church of Ephesus met Paul at Miletus, and he preached to them (Acts 20:16-36). Because a Christian service was held on Thursday, do we conclude that Thursday is a day for regular Christian worship replacing the observance of the seventh-day Sabbath? A religious service on Sunday, Thursday, or any other day certainly did not make that day a replacement for the seventh-day Sabbath or a day of regular Christian worship and rest. There is no special significance in the disciples breaking bread at this first-day meeting, for they broke bread "daily" (Acts 2:46). We are not told that it was a Lord's Supper celebration, nor are we told that henceforth Sunday should be the day for this service to be conducted. To read Sunday sacredness or Sunday observance into Acts 20:7 is to do violence to the text.

1 Corinthians 16:1, 2, "Now concerning the collection for the saints: you should follow the directions I gave the churches of Galatia. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put aside and save whatever extra you earn, so that collections need not be taken when I come. And when I arrive, I will send any whom you approve with letters to take your gift to Jerusalem."These verses may be literally translated from the Greek as follows: "And concerning the collection for the saints, as I instructed the churches of Galatia, so also you do. On the first day of the week let each of you place (or 'lay') by himself, storing up whatever he might be prospered, so that when I come there might be no collections." (Italics supplied.) The phrase "by himself" (par' heauto), followed by the participle "storing up" or "saving" (thesaupizon), rules out the possibility that this is a reference to an offering taken up in a worship service. The Christian believer was to check his accounts on Sunday and put by at home the money that he wished to give to Paul for the support of the church. When Paul arrived, then the offerings of each individual would be collected.

None of these eight New Testament references to the first day of the week (Sunday), provides any evidence that Jesus or His disciples changed the day of worship from the seventh to the first day. Nor is the first day of the week represented as a time to memorialize the resurrection of Christ. Whatever special significance was given to Sunday in the later history of the church, it had no basis in the teaching or practice of Jesus and His apostles.

Jesus instructed His disciples to observe the Sabbath after His death (Matt. 24:20). Jesus' instruction was incorporated into His interpretation of Daniel 8 (compare Matthew 24:15 ff.). Daniel predicted that the work of the little horn power would continue until the setting up of God's kingdom (Dan. 8:25). Hence, Jesus' instruction to flee from the little horn power was not confined to Christians at the time of the destruction of Jerusalem (A.D. 70). Toward the end of time, during the great tribulation of Matthew 24:21, of which earlier tribulations were a type or preview, God's people will be obliged to flee again. Jesus' instruction that we pray that our flight will not be on the Sabbath day emphasizes His will that we engage in only those activities on the Sabbath that are consistent with worship and spiritual rest.

The record of the book of Acts (chapters 13, 16*18) establishes that the apostles consistently kept the Sabbath day as a time for worship and fellowship. This observance was not merely a means of meeting the Jews in the synagogue on their Sabbath day. In Philippi, Paul and his companions met for worship by the riverside. Luke says, "On the sabbath day we went outside the gate to the riverside, where we supposed [or "thought" or "assumed" : Greek nomizo] there was a place for prayer...." (Acts 16:13). The apostles selected a place by the river that they thought would be appropriate for their Sabbath worship service, and there they prayed and witnessed for their Lord.

Jesus and the apostles kept the seventh-day Sabbath and instructed others to do likewise, so it wasn't changed by them. Sunday Worship was never taught by Jesus or the apostles and is not sanctioned in Scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟425,061.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some people say 'I keep Sunday in honor of the Resurrection' or they are told by preachers or teachers that the Apostles began keeping Sunday as the day of worship after the resurrection, but did they. Did the resurrection somehow cause a change to the day of worship?

Worship is the reason for the Sabbath. It is the only day God ever gave us to worship Him on. "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."—Matthew 15:9. That which God gives us is the truth. We are to believe it and obey it. "Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word is truth."—John 17:17. "Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth."—1 Timothy 2:4. "God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth."—2 Thessalonians 2:13. "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit."—1 Peter 1:22. It is not safe to refuse obedience to the obvious truths of God’s Word. "He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination." Proverbs 28:9. "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God."—John 7:17, R. V.

So what does the clear Word of God tell us when men come up with changes to what God has given us, or bring in tradition which go against Gods Law. "We ought to obey God rather than men." Acts 5:29.

So does the ressurection change the day of the Sabbath, well the problem is that God never told anyone to keep Sunday in honor of the resurrection of Christ—or for any other reason. But He decidedly and repeatedly told us to keep holy the seventh day of the week. What are the greatest events in history? Creation and Calvary and the Second Advent stand out. In Gethsemane on Thursday night and on the cross on Friday morning and afternoon, our salvation hung in the balance. By sundown Friday it was all settled. The price had been paid. The salvation of those who would accept it was assured. Then came the Sabbath day of rest, and Jesus our Lord rested in the tomb.

On Sunday morning, He rose and another work week began. Christ began working again. Mary was told not to detain Him for He had yet to ascend to heaven—which He did that day. A long trip to heaven and back again. And a visit to the fearful disciples on a road to Emmaus that evening and in an upper room where other disciples were hiding from the Jewish leaders. Frankly, the resurrection of Christ is in no way as important as is Calvary. Those who wish to abandon a clear command of God to keep the seventh day for another day, would do well to keep Friday holy in honor of Calvary.—But we keep a day holy because God says to, not because we decide to! Let us not imagine that we can abolish part of God’s Ten Commandments and substitute our own!

Someone will say "I wish we still had a memorial of Christ’s resurrection." Actually, Jesus gave us a memorial which combines His crucifixion and resurrection. And He commanded us to observe it.

This definite memorial is baptism. The death and resurrection of Christ are symbolized by the ordinance of baptism, and by partaking of it we partake of that experience with Him. This double symbolism is clearly explained by Paul:

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin [the breaking of the law; 1 John 3:4] that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ—were baptized into His death? Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father,—even so we also should [rise and] walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted [buried] together in the likeness of His death, we shall be raised also in the likeness of His resurrection. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."—Romans 6:1-6.

Some say that they keep Sunday because it is the "great memorial of our redemption." This is not true. The sign or symbol or memorial of our redemption is the Bible Sabbath. Our keeping of it is the sign by which all men shall know that we belong to God our Creator and that it is He, and not we ourselves, who is saving us from sin and will ultimately redeem us from this evil world. The seventh-day Sabbath is the seal of the law and the sign that He is our Creator (Exodus 31:16-17). And it is the sign that He is our Redeemer. "Moreover also I gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them."—Ezekiel 20:12. His Sabbath kept in our lives is the sign that we belong to Him. "And hallow My Sabbaths, and they shall be a sign between Me and you, that ye may know that I am the Lord your God."—Ezekiel 20:20. The Bible Sabbath is the sign given by our Heavenly Father, that He is sanctifying or preparing us for eternal life. "Verily My Sabbaths ye shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you."— Exodus 31:13.

Christ is our example and what does scripture tell us...

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16

He who created the earth in seven days, made the Sabbath when He created the world

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth... And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." Genesis 1:1; 2:2,3.

Christ confirms that the Sabbath he made was created for man

"The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath." Mark 2:27

So the Sabbath was there from the beginning, made for man.

and the Creator Himself kept the Sabbath day:

Genesis 2:1-3
(1) Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
(2) And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
(3) And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

and if you look closely at Christ words....

Mark 2:27
(27) And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

....you begin to understand that as the Sabbath was made “for man” and when the Sabbath first came into the picture (Genesis 2:1-3) the only man alive then was Adam and his wife Eve. Therefore, the Sabbath was made for them, and for their offspring, not for one particular group, but for all mankind.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sunday Worship is not sanctioned in Scripture.

You start out with a slur. I don't worship Sunday. Do you worship Saturday?

I know of no one who tries to keep Sunday like the Israelites were told to keep the Sabbath. Most Christians I know make no attempt to "keep" the day at all. I work a secular job every Sunday afternoon.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟425,061.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You start out with a slur. I don't worship Sunday. Do you worship Saturday?

I know of no one who tries to keep Sunday like the Israelites were told to keep the Sabbath. Most Christians I know make no attempt to "keep" the day at all. I work a secular job every Sunday afternoon.
That is a twisting of what was posted and you know it..

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a twisting of what was posted and you know it..

Just saying you started out by misrepresenting what us "normal" Christians practice. We don't worship Sunday. We take the time to worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ collectively, usually on Sundays. May I call Seventh Day Adventists "Sabbath worshippers"?

How much more of the article you copied and pasted should I read when you started out so ingloriously?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robert Bee

Jul 9, 2015
✟7,682.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The 7th day Sabbath is created into this world forever. The new earth still has the SABBATH forever.
Hebrews 4 has JESUS not presenting another day. As ADA was crea6ted "Let US create man in OUR image"
ADAM knew all about the LAW BEING THE CHARACTER OF GOD.
"Thy will be done on earth as it is in HEAVEN"
So although the SABBATH is only for US on earth LAW is RIGHT LIVING and that is known in the UNIVERSE .

Upvote 0

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

1Corinthians 13:2 - agape
Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The whole world will promote it. It will creep in under the guise of giving the earth a much needed break due to environmental conditions, yet will be promoted by the head of a Christian religious order. They're already publicly pushing for it, but no one seems to be eyeing the fact that they are. They'll look to governments to enforce it. I read an older UN document the other day ( not very old) that listed the major reasons for the state to remove children from a home. I think #2 was spanking. I distinctly remember #5 for pushing the diety of Jesus Christ and fundamental Christianity on your own kids. It said the 6 day creation and the flood would confuse the children on evolutionary teaching at school. Insane. So far, the US hadn't completely bitten on the idea, but when you look around, it's coming. I would imagine they would have to outlaw homeschooling eventually to make it effective. Maybe the economic sanctions on the anti-christ of the "earth" will begin with what goes on with your children first. When I was growing up, ya had to get a SS# before getting a real job. Then you had to get your kids one to claim em on taxes. Later, it was before ya left the hospital with your newborn. NOW, it's before you can actually name them. The "clamp" is spread out over a few generations so that the propaganda sinks in and doesn't cause a revolt. You can totally change the belief system of a country in 3 generations. They have here and use "political correctness" to warrant anyone griping about it. SOMEONE may be offended. So far, it's God. If I got off topic a little, please forgive me, but it's relative.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acts 20:7, "On the first day of the week, when we met to break bread, Paul was holding a discussion with them; since he intended to leave the next day, he continued speaking until midnight."Since the meeting was held at night on the first day of the week, it may have been Saturday night.

According to Jewish reckoning, the Sabbath ended and the first day of the week began at sundown of the seventh day. If it were Sunday evening, the event gives no suggestion that Sunday should be observed as a day of worship. The following verses record that Paul preached a sermon on Thursday. The next day after the meeting recorded in Acts 20:7 (Monday), Paul and his party set sail for Mitylene (Acts 20:13, 14). The following day (Tuesday) they arrived opposite Chios (verse 15). The next day (Wednesday) they passed Samos (verse 15), and the day after that (Thursday) they arrived at Miletus (verse 15). The elders of the church of Ephesus met Paul at Miletus, and he preached to them (Acts 20:16-36). Because a Christian service was held on Thursday, do we conclude that Thursday is a day for regular Christian worship replacing the observance of the seventh-day Sabbath? A religious service on Sunday, Thursday, or any other day certainly did not make that day a replacement for the seventh-day Sabbath or a day of regular Christian worship and rest. There is no special significance in the disciples breaking bread at this first-day meeting, for they broke bread "daily" (Acts 2:46). We are not told that it was a Lord's Supper celebration, nor are we told that henceforth Sunday should be the day for this service to be conducted. To read Sunday sacredness or Sunday observance into Acts 20:7 is to do violence to the text.
What you have here is the short Jewish ceremony of Havdalah. (separation)

It is not now celebrated with a full kiddish, (with both bread and wine) but in the first century some did. (which in Messianic circles would have been communion) It starts (usually) at sundown on the 7th day (what we call saturday) and goes into the new workweek - the first day. So the "next day" would have been the first day (when it was daylight) what we call Sunday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

placebo99

May 31, 2013
✟9,855.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A few questions (not to be inflammatory; I am genuinely curious). Most of these appear in an article I've read defending Sunday worship:

1) Could not God's reason for blessing the seventh day be an institution of perpetual rest and open fellowship rather than one day a week of rest? After all, work (in the sense we understand it today) only became necessary after the Fall (Genesis 3:17). God may have blessed the seventh day, but was it God's intention for it to become a Sabbath day in the sense that the Israelites understood it?

2) In the New Testament, when Jesus is reciting the Commandments to the rich young man (Matthew 19:18-19) the rich young man specifically asks which commandments he should keep. Jesus lists various Commandments but fails to include, or even allude to, keeping the Sabbath. Admittedly, it may be argued that both implicitly understood to keep the Sabbath, but it still seems odd that Jesus leaves it out of this exchange, especially when the original questions was concerning what the rich young man must do to have "eternal life" (verse 16).

3) Jesus performed occasionally performed healings on Sabbaths and received condemnation from the Pharisees, which he defended himself against. He also defended his disciples when they picked grain on the Sabbath. Why was this?

4) Why wasn't Sabbath worship addressed at the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15, whereas circumcision was? Surely the Gentiles wouldn't have bee familiar with Sabbath worship, so wouldn't this be the perfect time to address it?

5) I really can't get past Colossians 2:16. It seems on face value to say that people who don't keep the Sabbath should be free from judgement.

I look forward to receiving your answers. I promise to keep an open mind :)

Upvote 0

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I, me, for one, appreciate your sincerity and your questions, and I'll give you my stab at it on why I keep it, while trying to answer your questions. If you've been poking around, you'll see that I'm a Sabbath keeper, but maybe not a genuine SDA, although I try to adhere to MUCH of what is believed and taught, especially because of OUR take on prophecy. Early on, I was led to keep Sabbath, THEN God started opening many doors on truth and prophecy. Did that happen that way for ANYONE else, I have no idea. I guess that's the chicken or the egg thing.
1. In Gen. 2, I'm sure you've seen the part about God blessing and sanctifying is because He had rested from all His work from the previous 6 days. Now before everyone goes into their sales pitch of why the Sabbath is kept because God said that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath, and I'm sure my brethren will give plenty of scripture on that, including Christ being Lord of the Sabbath. I go into the other truths I've learned that support who and why the Sabbath isn't kept today by MOST Christians. In this area, I spend hour upon hour, as I am sort of a watchman, of sorts. I've said in other posts, that for these reasons alone, I'd keep a Tuesday before I would a Sunday, even if I thought we weren't bound to a particular day, although God says to honor and do not profane His Sabbaths and keep His commandments hundreds of times. There are even more verses in the NT claiming that we, who love the Lord, are to obey Him, by far ,than the couple of verses in "contravercy" that indoctrinated (that may not be the best word , but it's clear enough for what we are looking at) people stand on, mostly because of tradition and the fact that they were taught that way. I look at history and prophecy to make my belief known. I'm not sure of what you understand or what angle you view prophecy from, but MOST Christians of this day and age are taught "futurism" on events occurring in Revelation. We (SDA, Sabbath keepers or whatever) know these teachings to have originated from the Church of Rome by one person who was in charge of the"counter reformation " of his era. We believe, as ALL the Reformers from the late 1400s-onward, that the "mother church" , the harlott with daughters, was none other than Rome. Leaders in our country, spoke the same way (even ol Honest Abe) until the turn of the century ( around 1900). There are hundreds of posts in our section about it if you would like to learn. Back to the subject at hand, we show how the beasts of Daniel, which are world powers, are the same as the beasts of Rev. and how the deadly wound of the sea beast was Rome and that ALL, even the Sunday keeping Protestant churches knew AND preached it, even after Rome was plundered by Napoleon (deadly wound), on into her rebirth as a sovergn independent state in 1929 ( wound "beginning" to be healed). At the council of Trent , around 1550s, the Protestants met with Rome to try to stop the bloodshed, AND THERE WERE MILLIONS killed who opposed Rome, and the Protestants claimed "sola-scriptura" , or solely scripture, which is BIBLE ONLY, rather than Rome's church tradition AND the Bible as what they went by. The Protestants actually lost the argument because since they too had kept Sunday, they actually paid homage to Rome, who adopted the "venerable day of the sun" as her official day of worship. The Sabbath was kept until Constantine, Emporer of Rome, adopted Christianity as Rome's state religion. They had kept Sunday and paganism for 600 years prior to the change in 331 ad, so that, and several other events prompted it to stick. Many pagan practices went right into the "new" head of the church-Rome. Many practices, rituals, beliefs and false-doctrines are still with her. All the Protestant churches branched off from Rome, each new sect, bringing more and more truth and light as they came, but they never restored Sabbath keeping. Rome points it out daily. They claim Sunday as the MARK of her ecclesiastical authority and claim ALL who keep Sunday still pay homage to her and that ALL other Christian churches are heretics and disobedient children. She never recants, nor admits fault. She still claims all the "heretics" will be punished. In all truth, she actually claims 2016 as a year of "mercy" and is actually welcoming the Lutheran Church back into her fold next year, on the 500th year anniversary of Martin Luther's split with Rome! There is no more protest in Protestantism and Rome still continues to build steam at a rapid pace, to be the head of the world church, taking all others back into her arms at whatever the cost. It's much more involved and the goal is much more sinister, yet it's ALL in her doctrines. She hides nothing, but you have to dig a little. If you truly want to seek what we've found to be the most evil and sinister plot ever schemed up that contains work from both men and entities of darkness, it will change your life. THAT IS WHY I KEEP THE SABBATH. That and the hundreds and hundreds of commands to, the blessings for it, and the penalties for NOT obeying the God of the Universe & Holy One of Isreal. I will begin with #2 later. Im tired after that !Thanks again for your sincerity and respect. I think that all will try to do the same for you. Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

placebo99

May 31, 2013
✟9,855.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi SabbathKeeper,

I appreciate your response.

Not to stray off the topic too much, but I am aware of the SDA Church's prophetic views and while I'm not sure if I agree with them yet, it is quite a compelling case. I was raised Catholic and wasn't really shown many alternatives until fairly recently, and now that I am doing some intense Bible study I have a lot of questions, though I remain in an undecided, non-denomenational camp for now. If nothing else, I certainly think that in terms of the afterlife, conditional immortality, annihilationism and soul sleep makes more Biblical sense than eternal suffering in hell and a body / soul divide.

One question from your initial response (sorry if this is too nit-picky!): in what sense did God "rest", is it the same sense as how man rests? I can't imagine God becoming tired or anything like that. Sorry if this sounds sarcastic, it's not meant to be, I'm just trying to understand what the Bible says when He rested, and was it a Sabbath rest (as in the Exodus and thereafter) rather than an infinite rest (because, at this time, he had created a perfect world)?

Thanks very much for your patience!

Upvote 0

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No problem. I wasn't sure what you were aware of, as far as what SDAs teach. I'll try to answer as best I can. As far as I can tell, you are correct- God probably doesn't tire out as we do. Who knows. Seems He had quite a bit to do in a short time, even if a day is a thousand years or not. I'm thinking that His rest is/ was so that we follow in His footsteps as Sabbath being made for man. We see in many instances where things on earth were commanded to be done as it is in heaven. The tents with the alter, holy and most holy places and so on. Like the Lord's prayer even- on earth like it is done in heaven. You see the overall picture there. It's not an infinite rest with God as we have Christ bringing our case before the Father and lots of "sorting out" being done in preperation for the great and dreadful day of the Lord. I guess it's great for some and dreadful or terrible for others. I don't know what God did on that particular day except rest. We are supposed to rest- in Him, not doing OUR stuff, but His. Drawing closer, speaking His words and so on. Where the Pharisees over did the law , Christ straitened out that doing good on the Sabbath isn't sin. Putting someone else, who needs it and can benefit from a Christ-like action, before our selves. I've stated in other posts that some Orthodox Jews that live in big cities, stick toothpicks in elevator buttons on Sabbath to keep from having to mash a button. As ludicrous as it sounds, so is slaughtering someone in the name of God because you are concerned for their soul, but it happens. I sort of subscribe to the "donkey in the ditch theory", where we should rest in Him, learn and worship, but don't let the house burn down because you were afraid that getting a bucket of water would offend God on the Sabbath. I feel He would SAY- hey stupid, get some water! You will run into many instances where someone will need you AND need to see the love of God, working through you on a Sabbath. The world isn't geared for it, but we are commanded not to be of the world. I don't work to profit, nor do I try to cause others to, but am I going to eat a stone cold burrito out of my fridge, or push a button on the microwave? I try to spend from sundown on Fri. to sundown on Sat. in His rest and His word. When I started several years ago. I'd wait til sundown on Sat., then go to the bar. I didn't ask Him to take the desires of the world away, but it happened. I guess He knew what would benefit me more than I did. What I see overall is that the world is hell-bent against the Sabbath rest, as is Rome. The Adventists seem to be the only ones that Rome target. I study a lot on what's been said, what's being said and where it's all headed. When you see a Vatican leader quote one of the old leaders or bring his name up, you go back to what that old leader said and what agenda he was pushing at the time. It's never good. They take for granted that you won't, and MOST don't care as long as what happens doesn't interfere with their agenda. If you've even watched a Python do his thing, then watch his explosive force once he's in deep enough to make the kill, its amazing. In Rev. a leopard is likened unto this "force" to be reckoned with. When you see the characteristics of the animal- it's spot on. Watching, waiting, getting a little closer. Using it's surroundings to hide it's agenda. The devil wants to trample the laws of God. All the beasts spoke through their legislative bodies. Look at ours. Look at the last few years. Rome never changes. They record everything. They have unlimited wealth and influence....and an agenda. There are many who love the Lord in all denominations, but if you really want eyes to see and ears to hear, God will give them to you. If I missed answering your question, remind me. I SEEM to get off track but it's all tied in together. The question is- who will be able to see all this before satan has slammed the iron jaws of Rome on the world.....again? According to prophecy, it's the last round. God hit me with a ton of bricks yesterday when I got to jabbering about this deal with the Lutheran's. Rome , nor politics of any kind, does anything without a reason. They've got this ecumenical movement and spiritual formation thing going, worldwide. In Lund, Sweden, on Oct 31 ( Hallows Eve- a genuine satanic holy-day), the pope, the world Lutheran council and all the folks are having a prayer vigil there, for reconciliation, repentance (of Lutheran's past sin of leaving Rome) , thanks giving, and commitment to common witness. There are going to be people praying all over the world at this time, being led by Rome, where satan gave power and authority to the "seat". They are asking for spiritual unity and you really need to understand what this entails. It's NOT the Holy Spirit no matter what they say. It's the spirit of anti-christ. Look on the web and research all this stuff. Look at who heads it and understand why everyone is so caught up. This is a very powerful vigil, worldwide and it opposes all that is holy because of who leads it. Satan came and the Bible said he decieved the WHOLE world. He has. This stuff is as real as it gets and folks are being led to spiritual slaughter because of not knowing. Man, this is bad. It one of the Vatican statements, it says they, in this vigil, are working toward - justice, peace and reconciliation. Remember they are calling 2016 a year of mercy. 2017 , the Lutherans are coming back. The Methodists right behind them. What happens when mercy is over? I'll tell ya, if you told me 5 years ago that it'll come down to a day of worship for the difference between the seal of God, and the mark, I'd have said you were off your rocker. Now, after all I've read and witnessed, from Rome's point of view, I have ZERO doubt. I will start on 2, 3 and so on this evening. It seems to me that you are genuinely interested in what truth really is. I hope so. It's said that the truth for our time is the 3 angels messages. Now I'm seeing the SDA church suppressing their preachers from pushing this lately. THAT message is what the church's mission was founded on. In warfare, convincing the troops that the enemy is not a threat or even there is good practice. Peace be with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Just saying you started out by misrepresenting what us "normal" Christians practice. We don't worship Sunday. We take the time to worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ collectively, usually on Sundays. May I call Seventh Day Adventists "Sabbath worshippers"?

How much more of the article you copied and pasted should I read when you started out so ingloriously?
You would be correct if you did.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The 7th day Sabbath is created into this world forever. The new earth still has the SABBATH forever.
Hebrews 4 has JESUS not presenting another day. As ADA was crea6ted "Let US create man in OUR image"
ADAM knew all about the LAW BEING THE CHARACTER OF GOD.
"Thy will be done on earth as it is in HEAVEN"
So although the SABBATH is only for US on earth LAW is RIGHT LIVING and that is known in the UNIVERSE .
I wonder in awe if you have read Deuteronomy 5.

bugkiller

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0