Sunday without services: how are you coping?

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I live in the UK and today I can either go to my church for individual prayer or listen to a live streamed service broadcast from the minister's home. Regulars services aren't permitted. These rules are likely to be relaxed for the Christmas week.

I haven't actually done either of these things during the lockdown. But I do take part in a Zoom Bible study meeting one weekday evening a week and I do some voluntary work for a food bank project my church is involved in.

I've read quite a few Christian books and watched quite a few Christian talks and debates online during lockdown but my appetite for these is beginning to wane. I was also praying regularly but again I am finding this more difficult to do. There is this forum of course which has helped to keep me going, often through keeping me annoyed that other people don't agree with me!

So the effect lockdown is having on me is that I have let my self-discipline (I think the word "disciple" is related to "discipline") and self-motivation go to quite a large extent. Going to church was relatively easy because it was largely a matter of just getting there and sitting down, and it was nice to meet the people there. But it's just God and I now (I live alone).

I know that this is a great opportunity to learn how to be with God while I am alone and it's one that I may never get again. So I shoudt really try to make the best of it and turn my "prison cell" into a monastic environment.

It would be interesting to read how lockdown has affected other people's faith.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Our church has Mass broadcast regularly online, as we are presently unable to attend church services in the building.

Tonight there is a candlelit Advent carol service with the Great "O" antiphons being broadcast by our cathedral. I'm going to screencast it on my main TV whilst following the service sheet on my touchscreen laptop.

https://www.lichfield-cathedral.org/downloads/advent-procession-2020-1800-29.11.2020.pdf

I listen to music on my music player, on Youtube, and play hymns on my piano. Sometimes I just like to pick up the hymn book and read the words. I have a range of liturgical and other books that I use.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I live in the UK and today I can either go to my church for individual prayer or listen to a live streamed service broadcast from the minister's home. Regulars services aren't permitted. These rules are likely to be relaxed for the Christmas week.

I haven't actually done either of these things during the lockdown. But I do take part in a Zoom Bible study meeting one weekday evening a week and I do some voluntary work for a food bank project my church is involved in.

I've read quite a few Christian books and watched quite a few Christian talks and debates online during lockdown but my appetite for these is beginning to wane. I was also praying regularly but again I am finding this more difficult to do. There is this forum of course which has helped to keep me going, often through keeping me annoyed that other people don't agree with me!

Hmmm, Walking and getting out in town is a helpful thing if you like too. In the United Kingdom, you have a country side rather than a city side right?

Myself, growing up the way I did, I hardly attend church, unless it's streamed online. For the past 4 years, reading has taught me that faith has allowed me to have peace in my life more by placing our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and to rest in him and his strength to make it through, and God.

Christian talks an debates are fun for a season.

Reading the bible can be tough sometimes to do because our flesh resist it, but there are great reminders in there of were our focus should be towards God, and loving others, and telling them the truth, and encouraging, and giving support even in others bad times.

You also remind me of this song:

Glad you have been part of the forums like you have been, Hmmm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,708.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I live in the UK and today I can either go to my church for individual prayer or listen to a live streamed service broadcast from the minister's home. Regulars services aren't permitted. These rules are likely to be relaxed for the Christmas week. I haven't actually done either of these things during the lockdown.
Churches here are allowed to have Sunday services "with a mask mandate and social distancing." This means the number of people allowed in the service is small and one has to call in advance for reservations. I haven't been to a Sunday service since March. I guess I got used to having a lazy morning and many pastors appear to share my sentiment as they have chosen to keep their churches closed on Sundays :).

But I do take part in a Zoom Bible study meeting one weekday evening a week and I do some voluntary work for a food bank project my church is involved in.
I attend a Bible study in the middle of the week and serve in a food bank twice-a-week.

I've read quite a few Christian books and watched quite a few Christian talks and debates online during lockdown but my appetite for these is beginning to wane. I was also praying regularly but again I am finding this more difficult to do.
Same here. If you have suggestions for great Christian talks and debates online, plz let me know.

There is this forum of course which has helped to keep me going, often through keeping me annoyed that other people don't agree with me!
LOL. There was that other Christian forum decades ago where I used to get into hot arguments and couldn't understand how others did not see things the way I did. This doesn't bother me here. For one, I've changed. I write an opinion once and may have to write a second post to explain it. If there is disagreement after I feel that I've explained my opinion adequately, then be it. Generally, and you have been an exception, Christians rarely give a like or agree to any posts and it almost feels like everyone talks at the same time and no one listens. Funny that this is not the case in the political discussions. There are other great features that promote peace in these Forums that are very helpful: 1) they don't allow heated arguments and personal attacks; and 2) there is that wonderful "ignore" feature.

I know that this is a great opportunity to learn how to be with God while I am alone and it's one that I may never get again. So I shoudt really try to make the best of it and turn my "prison cell" into a monastic environment.
I agree.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,346.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been able to attend Church (Catholic) for a few months now, but the numbers have been restricted. The limitations are being eased, and for the church I attend the number of people allowed would be more than the regular attendees. I try to get there when I can.

Being Catholic, one can't really participate without receiving the eucharist. But we don't have the wine, due to the fact we use a common cup.

A lot of parishioners seem to be missing in action, if my judgement is any guide. They take the host to normal shut-ins, but there are too many people absent for that to be a realistic option.

My wife goes to a Baptist Church, and she still hasn't made a habit of getting back to the regular service, with one exception, preferring to watch the service online. I think it's a bit of a cop-out, but that's her decision.

Again there's a lot of people in her church who have taken the easy option, choosing to watch the service in their pyjamas with a cup of coffee to hand.

I think one contributing factor to the reduced attendance has been they can't fellowship after the service due to restrictions on sharing food and drink after the service, for reasons of hygiene.

As an afterthought, one of my weird thoughts about the future is that I think God is going to drive us off the planet and out into the universe. Without getting into a debate as to practicality of space exploration, I am curious as to what form the Church would take then, spread out on thinly populated planets and space stations, with people mainly preoccupied in struggling to survive, living in hermetically sealed glass houses to grow food and wearing space suits anytime they step outside.

How would we partake of the body and blood of Christ in that situation, and would Rome still be the centre of a Catholic Church with branches in the Andromeda Galaxy, with earth possibly a burnt out wasteland due to nuclear war or enormous solar flares (as another possibility)? What price would Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "secular Christianity" be worth in that sort of forbidding lifestyle?

I mention solar flares as "my old pastor" said some 30 or so years ago that "I think He (God) is doing something to the sun." It doesn't seem to be adding to climate change, and in fact it's gone ominously quiet. But I'm wondering if God is winding up the magnetic field in order to produce enormous solar flares when it does erupt? Just my weird take on things.

Sun’s magnetic field during the grand minimum is in fact at its maximum

So we might be forced to have some sort of interstellar online church down the track - who knows?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Myself, growing up the way I did, I hardly attend church, unless it's streamed online. For the past 4 years, reading has taught me that faith has allowed me to have peace in my life more by placing our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and to rest in him and his strength to make it through, and God.

I had a lot of alone time when I returned to God. The absence of connections outside of family was a blessing. It allowed me to immerse myself in Him and develop a relationship that wasn’t dependent on outside activity. I was closer to God in that season than the busyness of church attendance.

It took several years of discernment to realize my path is contemplative and a traditional setting is counterproductive to my spiritual growth. A small group of hungry souls is my ideal. Intimate gatherings over a meal will allow me to minister to those I’m meant to serve.

While I’ve read my share of books, I limit sermons to three sources. That allows me to trace the root of the ideas I encounter. I’m glad I reached this point before the pandemic. The sudden loss of fellowship is difficult for some.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The title of your thread is "Sunday without services; how are you coping?"
I'm not just coping, I'm loving it.

Very often I watch services on YouTube, either streamed live or pre-recorded.
But in the first lockdown I always went for a walk in the park at "church time", and just enjoyed being out in the sunshine and meeting people, without the guilt of thinking "I should be in church".

Over the years I have become more passionate about the church being out in the community/on the streets, rather than shut behind 4 walls, debating rotas/finance/property etc.
I have never, ever known every single church, chapel and cathedral to close overnight and, barring another lockdown or virus, doubt that I will again. It was a great opportunity to for us to discover more ways of "doing church". And I hope we don't lose it and try to rediscover "normality".

Same here.
Our church was open for services between mid Sept and November; but I never went.
We were told there'd be no singing and no touching/hugging. A mask had to be worn for the service, hands washed on the way in and out, Bibles were removed from the pews and people would have to sit 6 feet apart, unless they were a couple.
To me, that was neither worship, nor fellowship; so I stayed away.

So the effect lockdown is having on me is that I have let my self-discipline (I think the word "disciple" is related to "discipline") and self-motivation go to quite a large extent.

I've been doing a lot of craft work - and also reading, walking, thinking and praying.

When we first went into lockdown I, and others, said that we didn't miss church meetings. Sadly, though, some of these are now on Zoom too - but I'm hoping that some will say "my faith survived 9 months without being in a church building; do I really need it?" And get out more to be church in the community.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,708.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My wife goes to a Baptist Church, and she still hasn't made a habit of getting back to the regular service, with one exception, preferring to watch the service online. I think it's a bit of a cop-out, but that's her decision. Again there's a lot of people in her church who have taken the easy option, choosing to watch the service in their pyjamas with a cup of coffee to hand. I think one contributing factor to the reduced attendance has been they can't fellowship after the service due to restrictions on sharing food and drink after the service, for reasons of hygiene.

I'm not just coping, I'm loving it. Very often I watch services on YouTube, either streamed live or pre-recorded. But in the first lockdown I always went for a walk in the park at "church time", and just enjoyed being out in the sunshine and meeting people, without the guilt of thinking "I should be in church".

Our church was open for services between mid Sept and November; but I never went. We were told there'd be no singing and no touching/hugging. A mask had to be worn for the service, hands washed on the way in and out, Bibles were removed from the pews and people would have to sit 6 feet apart, unless they were a couple. To me, that was neither worship, nor fellowship; so I stayed away.
I agree with all this. It describes my experience perfectly :).

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you have suggestions for great Christian talks and debates online, plz let me know.

I've enjoyed watching the public lectures given by Keith Ward and Alister McGrath at Gresham College. Ward in the main joins together philosophy, science and Christianity and Alister McGrath talks about Christianity or Christianity and the sciences or the arts. McGrath has also got his own YouTube channel where there are a couple of introductory series on Christianity.

There are several excellent debates between McGrath and the New Atheists (no longer so new now) Christopher Hitchens (now deceased). John Lennox has had similar debates and these are all on YouTube.

There are also lots of good talks by NT Wright on YouTube as I'm sure you know.

I also like watching Bishop Robert Barron where you get a Catholic perspective.

That's probably enough to be going on with. Let me know when you've watched all the videos for these guys and I'll ask you some questions to test you :)

Can you recommend any good talks or books?

Edited to add a writer and speaker I really like, Philip Yancey. He had an extremely bad experience with church when he was young which he openly talks about and he writes about subject such as Why is there suffering? not because he feels he has answers to give but in order to find out some answers himself. So when you read his books you feel you are learning alongside him, rather than listening to a lecture.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the United Kingdom, you have a country side rather than a city side right?

Yes, I enjoy walking and go fairly often but not as often as I should. I hadn't heard of Princess Chelsea before but she's got a fantastic voice and the song was very apposite.

Myself, growing up the way I did, I hardly attend church, unless it's streamed online.

Did you have a bad experience with church? But please ignore me if that's too personal a question.

• Friendly
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As an afterthought, one of my weird thoughts about the future is that I think God is going to drive us off the planet and out into the universe. Without getting into a debate as to practicality of space exploration, I am curious as to what form the Church would take then, spread out on thinly populated planets and space stations, with people mainly preoccupied in struggling to survive, living in hermetically sealed glass houses to grow food and wearing space suits anytime they step outside.

How would we partake of the body and blood of Christ in that situation, and would Rome still be the centre of a Catholic Church with branches in the Andromeda Galaxy, with earth possibly a burnt out wasteland due to nuclear war or enormous solar flares (as another possibility)? What price would Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "secular Christianity" be worth in that sort of forbidding lifestyle?

Fascinating questions, not just worthy of a thread but of a book and a film!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Intersting. Would you care to share what those sources are?

Derek Prince and Charles Stanley were instrumental in my deliverance. I turned to them in the beginning and afterward. The third is Tony Evans. I've heard him speak on several occasions. His resources on marriage are very good. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Over the years I have become more passionate about the church being out in the community/on the streets, rather than shut behind 4 walls, debating rotas/finance/property etc.

but I'm hoping that some will say "my faith survived 9 months without being in a church building; do I really need it?" And get out more to be church in the community.

That's an eye-opening thought and wouldn't that be great. I've often wondered why sometimes churches don't hold their services in the local park. I agree that many people are reluctant to walk into a church building for a service but if they encountered one in a public space they might very well pause and listen without feeling embarrassed that they're showing a need in public.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did you have a bad experience with church? But please ignore me if that's too personal a question.

Never had a bad experience. Most time was to go spend time with others. Went to one church that spoke tongues and people laid out on the floor making a crawling motion like going up a ladder to heaven which was strange.

Other than that only went to see others, or see the interesting art if they had any, one church had this half a wall filled with information from Adam and eve, to the modern day advances of society.

So the answer is no never had a bad experience, it seemed God has some useful way for me be of use. Here is a picture of that wall.
hRNpMAW.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Never had a bad experience. Most time was to go spend time with others. Went to one church that spoke tongues and people laid out on the floor making a crawling motion like going up a ladder to heaven which was strange.

Other than that only went to see others, or see the interesting art if they had any, one church had this half a wall filled with information from Adam and eve, to the modern day advances of society.

So the answer is no never had a bad experience, it seemed God has some useful way for me be of use. Here is a picture of that wall.
hRNpMAW.jpeg

You talking about art on church walls reminds me of a story the theologian NT Wright tells which shows that we can learn a lot from church art. He tells the story to illustrate his point that over the centuries Greek philosophy in particular Platonic dualism, in which the body is imperfect and dies whereas the soul is pure and continues after death, kind of hijacked the Christian idea of heaven. He mentions a very old cathedral near Rome where there are frescoes "quite explicitly about resurrection, skeletons coming up from the earth, being clothed with flesh and becoming human again. Contrast that with the Sistine Chapel (a later building), where you have this great heaven and hell scene. It is sort of assumed that heaven is a disembodied state where immortal souls go to live, and then it becomes very difficult for the word resurrection to be anything other than a rather flowery metaphor for that state. But the whole point is that (the resurrection skeletons) is what the Bible in the first three or four Christian centuries took for granted. We need to recapture that". The bracketed comments in the quote are mine.

Upvote 0