Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was recently offered the opportunity to teach a Sunday school class at my local church. It is a nice opportunity. If I accept the offer, I will be expected to work with 7-9 year olds primarily. I’ve never done this before. I left the church when I was seven years old and didn’t return until I was a teenager. I have a few questions to ask.
How do I make it fun for the little ones? How do I successfully capture their interest? How long are your lessons? What does a typical lesson look like? Any advice and tips will be appreciated thank you.
Can you recommend any useful websites or not?

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was recently offered the opportunity to teach a Sunday school class at my local church. It is a nice opportunity. If I accept the offer, I will be expected to work with 7-9 year olds primarily. I’ve never done this before. I left the church when I was seven years old and didn’t return until I was a teenager. I have a few questions to ask.
How do I make it fun for the little ones? How do I successfully capture their interest? How long are your lessons? What does a typical lesson look like? Any advice and tips will be appreciated thank you.

It sounds like you have the right idea. I was a scout master in my church and made it fun for the troop. They expressed how they really appreciated it.

You could look up on the internet what's appropriate for that age group. You probably want a stand and back board and religious pictures that follow your lesson. You can google "appropriate Sunday School lesson for 8 year olds" to get some ideas also.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OH, they should be telling you how long the lesson should be. Contact them and ask.

Also churches should have lessons available for you to access.

If this is not the case, then I would keep it under an hour. Like a public school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
This is what we do at our Church. We will have a theme for the quarter. And will decorate the class rooms according to the theme. Not just cardboard cut outs. Im talking about creative construction. Such as if we are teaching about lessons from Jonah we build an underwater world to "submerge" the kinds in. If we are teaching on Growing in God we may create a virtual farm and fields out of the classroom. Kids are visual learners, its hard to keep their attention if their not surrounded by the environment that is being taught about. Lots of huge roles of colored paper and hours of building props and decor just to be torn down in three months but its worth every minute to put these bible stories in the hearts of Kids. Class usually lasts about 1 to 1.5 hours.

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you.

I start this Sunday.
Nervous and excited at the same time. So what themes do you have in mind? If all goes well I may also be asked to work with a different group of children. How do you talk about difficult topics? I want to be able to talk about mental health with the children as well.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll certainly search for lesson plans online.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you.

I start this Sunday.
Nervous and excited at the same time. So what themes do you have in mind? If all goes well I may also be asked to work with a different group of children. How do you talk about difficult topics? I want to be able to talk about mental health with the children as well.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll certainly search for lesson plans online.

You don't talk about difficult topics with children. You intelligently steer them away from that while being loving and kind. Like you wouldn't discuss hell and death with a child. But you might praise Jesus to them for being a loving and caring Father.

Upvote 0

kkamagwi

Feb 3, 2019
South Chungcheong
✟16,767.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A fun Sunday School activity for kids is called, "Picking Up After Yourselves."

• Haha
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
taught Sunday school/different yrs
had a book with lesson plans that I followed
(think the church gave it to me)

for the younger kids, I added in songs, as well as a craft
did the craft at end of class so children were engaged and busy when parents arrived for pickup

I always over planned as didn't want to run out of lessons/activities before parents arrived
ask your church if they have a lesson plan book as it will guide you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
asked my child how her class runs

4th, 5th graders sit as group in church for opening music
then they go into a big room with other kids for songs

after, they go to their classroom for worship time with prayers, get a Bible if told for looking up verses, have the lesson plan, free time end of class

there is also a helper person besides teacher
sometimes they come home with a Bible verse to memorize

Last edited:
Upvote 0