Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many diocese are now lifting the dispensation from the obligation to attend Sunday Mass.
Mass dispensation to be lifted June 5-6 - Catholic Diocese of Wichita

So we will be back to "grave matter" and mortal sin thinking.

It somehow doesn't seem right. Mass is indeed a great privilege, dare I say, for those who freely choose to attend> making it obligatory under pain of Hell damnation sort of defeats the purpose. Doesn't it?

• Useful
Reactions: zippy2006

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
making it obligatory under pain of Hell damnation sort of defeats the purpose. Doesn't it?

You mean, it should be a no-brainer, and every faithful catholic would want to go no matter what? I think that is what you mean.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Many diocese are now lifting the dispensation from the obligation to attend Sunday Mass.
Mass dispensation to be lifted June 5-6 - Catholic Diocese of Wichita

So we will be back to "grave matter" and mortal sin thinking.

It somehow doesn't seem right. Mass is indeed a great privilege, dare I say, for those who freely choose to attend> making it obligatory under pain of Hell damnation sort of defeats the purpose. Doesn't it?

I posed a similar question on a different Christian website about a year ago (link). Hopefully I'm allowed to link to it. I tried to answer my own question there, and my answer is the last one (link). Clearly the Catholics felt a bit threatened by the question. I think it's a good question that will be on many people's minds.

making it obligatory under pain of Hell damnation sort of defeats the purpose. Doesn't it?

Why do you think making Mass attendance obligatory defeats the purpose?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a good question that will be on many people's minds.

Hopefully, you do not mind me tossing in my two cents. I like the thoughts provided by GratefulDisciple. On the whole, however, it is over my head, and seems unnecessary for me to debate. Unless you are into canon law, and debating canon law, and dreaming about canon law, the answers provided are those which produce a real yawn-fest. No offense, it is just not my cup of coffee.

An obvious answer is that the church can, and definitely should, in extreme cases, dispense obligations, even those created by God, if doing so will help protect her members.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully, you do not mind me tossing in my two cents.

:oldthumbsup:

I like the thoughts provided by GratefulDisciple. On the whole, however, it is over my head, and seems unnecessary for me to debate. Unless you are into canon law, and debating canon law, and dreaming about canon law, the answers provided are those which produce a real yawn-fest. No offense, it is just not my cup of coffee.

Do you think so? Canon law was only mentioned once on the page I linked, and it was done in passing. I think that's appropriate. I don't think it has much at all to do with canon law.

An obvious answer is that the church can, and definitely should, in extreme cases, dispense obligations, even those created by God, if doing so will help protect her members.

I don't find that answer obvious. The Church can dispense from obligations that come from God? Such as the obligation to not-murder referenced in my question? Aren't the prohibitions and obligations that come from God given to protect us in the first place?

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Church can dispense from obligations that come from God?

During a pandemic, the pope, as a successor of St. Peter, who alone was given the keys, who, along with the bishops, has authority to bind and loose, must take action in order to lead and protect the flock. He, and the bishops decided to do what they thought was in the best interest of the Catholic communities they serve. The question here, is, how is it the pope had any authority to dispense the obligation of Sunday mass? Correct?

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The question here, is, how is it the pope had any authority to dispense the obligation of Sunday mass? Correct?

Yes, that is the right question.

There is an analog in vowed life, although the current practice of annulments obscures it. If I become a religious brother or sister and take my solemn vows, it is possible for the Church to later dispense me from my vows. This is because the vow is on the human level. It binds with respect to the Church, but not with respect to God, and therefore the Church has the ability to dispense me from my vow. That is, the Church can dissolve the vow.

This isn't the case with marriage. An unconsummated marriage can be dissolved in certain circumstances, but a consummated marriage is a divinely bound covenant. It binds with respect to God himself, and only God himself (and not the Church) can dissolve a valid marriage. All the Church can do is determine whether the "marriage" was null from the beginning, and grant an annulment if such is determined.

This may be too canon law-ey for you, but our case is similar. Just as it would be theologically erroneous for the Church to start dissolving marriages, it would also be theologically erroneous for the Church to start giving dispensations from the obligation to not-murder. So the Sunday obligation must be a different kind of obligation than the obligation to not-murder, given that the Church can dispense from it. Yet Catholic practice makes it seem like both obligations are equal since both incur mortal sin. I think this is basically why the grave matter of the Sunday obligation strikes folks as strange.

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So the Sunday obligation must be a different kind of obligation than the obligation

And where would we look to find the answer? As far as I know, the dispensation of 2020 was one of those, "first time for everything", occurrences. It is an interesting topic.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And where would we look to find the answer? As far as I know, the dispensation of 2020 was one of those, "first time for everything", occurrences. It is an interesting topic.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the answer is or where to look. I have brought up the topic here and elsewhere in part to incentivize investigation into the issue and hopefully eventual clarity. My hope would be that some bishops, upon reinstating the obligation, will give their diocese guidance on this issue.

There is some precedent for the dispensations, though. It has happened before, for example during the black plague.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have you asked a priest?

Maybe a long time ago. I don't recall the exact answer I was given, but in general it relates to the obligation to worship. Again, my own view is reflected here. I don't think the Church has issued any definitive judgment on this topic.

Upvote 0