Sunday Law, how did we come to that conclusion?

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟339,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In reviewing what I have been taught, I was wondering how we came to the conclusion that sunday was the mark of the beast. can anyone tell the steps and the process? scripture does not explicitly say it, so it is a conclusion based on intrepretaion based on certian assumptions . What are the assumptions and what are the passages for intrepretation

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟128,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In reviewing what I have been taught, I was wondering how we came to the conclusion that sunday was the mark of the beast. can anyone tell the steps and the process? scripture does not explicitly say it, so it is a conclusion based on intrepretaion based on certian assumptions . What are the assumptions and what are the passages for intrepretation

I don't see the connection between the title of sunday law and the mark of the beast. where did sunday law come from? never heard anyone say law.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I am also not a Progressive (though I am a Moderate SDA). I am scheduled to preach a sermon on the mark of the beast at the end of this month because the pastor is not available that Sabbath. (I picked the topic for myself)

My personal opinion is that sermons that get uploaded should not have anything in them that a non-SDA would find difficult to accept by just reading the Bible alone and as we both know the term "mark of the Beast" is found in Rev 13 and 14 but it has no direct reference to the Sabbath in the text where "mark" of the beast is mentioned, (though Rev 14 does mention the "Commandments of God" and also quotes directly from the Sabbath Commandment in Rev 14:7 as it uses the language of Ex 20:11.). The text does not exclude your topic by any means but it is not explicitly connected or dictated by the text either.

Nothing in our 28 FB connects the Sabbath with this subject explicitly - (in fact "mark of the beast" does not even appear in the 28 FB)

So IMO my sermon topic "mark of the Beast" 101 from Rev 13 and Rev 14 does not have a way to get to addressing your question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟339,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am also not a Progressive (though I am a Moderate SDA). I am scheduled to preach a sermon on the mark of the beast at the end of this month because the pastor is not available that Sabbath. (I picked the topic for myself)

My personal opinion is that sermons that get uploaded should not have anything in them that a non-SDA would find difficult to accept by just reading the Bible alone and as we both know the term "mark of the Beast" is found in Rev 13 and 14 but it has no direct reference to the Sabbath in the text where "mark" of the beast is mentioned, (though Rev 14 does mention the "Commandments of God" and also quotes directly from the Sabbath Commandment in Rev 14:7 as it uses the language of Ex 20:11.). The text does not exclude your topic by any means but it is not explicitly connected or dictated by the text either.

Nothing in our 28 FB connects the Sabbath with this subject explicitly - (in fact "mark of the beast" does not even appear in the 28 FB)

So IMO my sermon topic "mark of the Beast" 101 from Rev 13 and Rev 14 does not have a way to get to addressing your question.
well lets examine the assumptions. How did we come to that conclusion.

1. We assume the Catholic church and her allies is the beast. The Church state union, contiuation Divine Right of Kings, except with Christanity as the religion of the state.

2. Sabbath, the day of worship, was changed by the Catholic church.

3. The Change of the Sabbath to Sunday was poloticaly motivated

4. Sabbath is a sign of loyality to God and, the change of the Sabbath to Sunday represent apostasy or rebellion in some form.

5. Sabbath represents God in Some way shape or form and the Change of the Sabbath to Sunday misrepresents God in some way.

Those are the assumptions that need to clarified and examined, because it is based off those assumptions they need to be looked at.

If there is an assumption that is not being mentioned please let me know I will add it to the list.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You must be delighted with yourself. I am never more astonished than when Christians so eagerly exercise themselves to divisiveness and utilise rules to uphold their mistaken authority to demand of others what they cannot sustain in their own conduct. On your direction I am leaving the forum entirely.
Hi,

There are plenty of forums on CF that you can engage with other Christians. Each forum has rules you might want to check them out to be sure what is allowed in that area. The traditional SDA forum is more welcoming as well. I would not leave this site because of one poster and its not a good representation on how most SDA’s treat other people. God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they do then there is no part of this forum for a Calvinist because Calvinism isn't a denomination.

You may consider checking out this area for Calvinists.

Semper Reformanda

And the theology section has areas where people from various backgrounds discuss.

If you want to comment on the mark of the beast topic in an area of open discussion, check here:

SDA--Seal of God vs. Mark of the Beast

It looks like you are fairly new to the forums. Welcome!

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mod Hat On

Some Posts and Responses
have been Removed
in
Thread Clean

RV:
Progressive/Moderate Adventists

Community Rule's
If you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against this group's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic. All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules.

Also​
  • If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.
Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟339,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see the connection between the title of sunday law and the mark of the beast. where did sunday law come from? never heard anyone say law.
It is an SDA teaching. it assumes the the catholic church is the beast and it usurped God, by changing the Day of worship and taking those perogatives for himself

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟339,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
well lets examine the assumptions. How did we come to that conclusion.

1. We assume the Catholic church and her allies is the beast. The Church state union, contiuation Divine Right of Kings, except with Christanity as the religion of the state.

2. Sabbath, the day of worship, was changed by the Catholic church.

3. The Change of the Sabbath to Sunday was poloticaly motivated

4. Sabbath is a sign of loyality to God and, the change of the Sabbath to Sunday represent apostasy or rebellion in some form.

5. Sabbath represents God in Some way shape or form and the Change of the Sabbath to Sunday misrepresents God in some way.

Those are the assumptions that need to clarified and examined, because it is based off those assumptions they need to be looked at.

If there is an assumption that is not being mentioned please let me know I will add it to the list.

I think the first thing we need to do is Identify the Beast, then identify what his mark is.

Reactions: AdamjEdgar
Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Doug Bachelors Amazing Facts group offers answers to the question surrounding the "mark of the beast".

My understanding is that the Church doesn't have an official position on it although personally, i feel that the church infers a lot about the topic which has flowed on down through the ranks like a large waterfall.

I wonder if this has led to a very direct view that may have misrepresented the church's position and indeed even confused the correct interpretation of the Biblical narrative about the beast and its mark?

Despite the above concern, I offer the Amazing facts version as but one SDA group's explanation of it. This is also basically the same outline I was taught from a young age to use when interpreting the Bible narrative regarding this topic:

I think the difficulty we have in the current social and political climate is that it is an unsatisfactory approach to label specific groups in the way we have traditionally tended to do when it comes to the Mark of the Beast, however, it is not the only one. Another example is LGBT and the Bible's seemingly very direct condemnation of homosexuality. Both are dangerous pedestals to erect and may actually do more harm than good by distracting from the real message of the Gospel. Personally, i have no answer here...The illustration of Sodom and Gomorah is very vivid in my head, however, Jesus writing the sins of those who would condemn the prostitute also come to mind!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Here is a sermon by C. D. Brooks an SDA evangelist on the Mark of the Beast. He explains it well and only uses scripture,

The link will take you to a list of sermons from one of his crusades. Choose sermon 20 to download to hear his sermon on it.

BREATH OF LIFE CRUSADE III

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟344,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is a sermon by C. D. Brooks an SDA evangelist on the Mark of the Beast. He explains it well and only uses scripture,

The link will take you to a list of sermons from one of his crusades. Choose sermon 20 to download to hear his sermon on it.

BREATH OF LIFE CRUSADE III
American Christian Ministries lol I known Al and his wife for years. Great people. C.D Brooks? I was so sorry to here of his passing. Powerful speaker and kind man.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
American Christian Ministries lol I known Al and his wife for years. Great people. C.D Brooks? I was so sorry to here of his passing. Powerful speaker and kind man.

I don't know the people who run the ministry, but CD Brooks has been my all time favorite SDA preacher for decades. I liked listening to him when I was in high school. He presents truth straightforward and unapologetically and at the same time showed the people he loved them. We SDA's really lost someone when when he passed away. He really had a knack for stepping on toes gracefully.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Doug Bachelors Amazing Facts group offers answers to the question surrounding the "mark of the beast".

My understanding is that the Church doesn't have an official position on it although personally, i feel that the church infers a lot about the topic which has flowed on down through the ranks like a large waterfall.

I wonder if this has led to a very direct view that may have misrepresented the church's position and indeed even confused the correct interpretation of the Biblical narrative about the beast and its mark?

Despite the above concern, I offer the Amazing facts version as but one SDA group's explanation of it. This is also basically the same outline I was taught from a young age to use when interpreting the Bible narrative regarding this topic:

I think the difficulty we have in the current social and political climate is that it is an unsatisfactory approach to label specific groups in the way we have traditionally tended to do when it comes to the Mark of the Beast, however, it is not the only one. Another example is LGBT and the Bible's seemingly very direct condemnation of homosexuality. Both are dangerous pedestals to erect and may actually do more harm than good by distracting from the real message of the Gospel. Personally, i have no answer here...The illustration of Sodom and Gomorah is very vivid in my head, however, Jesus writing the sins of those who would condemn the prostitute also come to mind!

I think it is a mistake to change what we do for it is God who prepares the heart. Those who will reject the message will find any reason they can to reject it and one reason is as good for them as another. No one was more loving than Jesus, and people turned away from Him in droves.

Truth always cuts to the quick.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟339,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see the connection between the title of sunday law and the mark of the beast. where did Sunday law come from? never heard anyone say law.
this is an SDA Sub forum, and it is clear that you do not know SDA theology. the SDA theology states the Sunday will become a sign of rebellion against God in the future and the Sabbath will be come the dividing line between the faithful and unfaithful. I am asking for a review of this doctrine in order to see our logic on this matter, what assumptions we are , what links are being made and are the conclusions accurate. Is there a better way to present and understand this teaching?

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0