Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can someone please share their thoughts about this topic? Sunday Christians?
You should know what I am talking about just by the title, but in case you don't, I will
briefly describe the "problem".

We live in a world now where our days and weeks are organized in very strict, regimented, mandatory order.
In other words, most of us are company workers, employees. We have to follow a work schedule. We can't
just choose when we want to work and not work. Therefore, this new system of living (industrial age to post-
modernism) created what we call "Sunday Christians" meaning, we really only appear to be Christans on Sundays
because we go to church and attend worship services, bible studies, fellowship, etc.

We don't have the time (unless you are a worker in the ministry) to spend Mondays to Saturdays at church doing
ministry work. We have to go to our jobs. We have to come home and do our other duties (ie. taking care of family,
being a husband/wife etc). So we rarely live as the body of christ or the church. We really are only functioning as the
church in that 1 or 2 hours Sunday service.

Of course people can pray and read the bible throughout the week and really still be true Christians but I feel like
there is something problematic when we are mostly "Sunday Christians" only. Why do some christians don't feel
the need or urge to meet together more often outside of Sunday services? 1. They are too busy with work or other
social obligations, 2. They don't want to see you everyday and break bread with you everyday...that's TOO MUCH FACE TIME
with their church members. 3. They don't believe it's actually necessary to do those things to be a christian or even to be a church. You don't
need to, it's not urgent, it's no mandatory for believers to have to live their lives together as much as possible but only
once a week for 2 hours is enough...and maybe with the odd event here and there from time to time (ie. Xmas, easter, summer camp,
ski trip, apple picking, thanksgiving dinner, etc.).

But the early church described in Acts sounds to me more like they shared their lives together a lot more and more intimately. It sounded
like they met up with each other quite often (not just once a week) and did outreach, evangelization, selling of their properties to give
to the poor, serving others, praying together, breaking bread, etc.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should know what I am talking about just by the title, but in case you don't, I will

We live in a world now where our days and weeks are organized in very strict, regimented, mandatory order.
In other words, most of us are company workers, employees. We have to follow a work schedule. We can't
just choose when we want to work and not work. Therefore, this new system of living (industrial age to post-
modernism) created what we call "Sunday Christians" meaning, we really only appear to be Christans on Sundays
because we go to church and attend worship services, bible studies, fellowship, etc.

We don't have the time (unless you are a worker in the ministry) to spend Mondays to Saturdays at church doing
ministry work. We have to go to our jobs. We have to come home and do our other duties (ie. taking care of family,
being a husband/wife etc). So we rarely live as the body of christ or the church. We really are only functioning as the

Of course people can pray and read the bible throughout the week and really still be true Christians but I feel like
there is something problematic when we are mostly "Sunday Christians" only. Why do some christians don't feel
the need or urge to meet together more often outside of Sunday services? 1. They are too busy with work or other
social obligations, 2. They don't want to see you everyday and break bread with you everyday...that's TOO MUCH FACE TIME
with their church members. 3. They don't believe it's actually necessary to do those things to be a christian or even to be a church. You don't
need to, it's not urgent, it's no mandatory for believers to have to live their lives together as much as possible but only
once a week for 2 hours is enough...and maybe with the odd event here and there from time to time (ie. Xmas, easter, summer camp,

But the early church described in Acts sounds to me more like they shared their lives together a lot more and more intimately. It sounded
like they met up with each other quite often (not just once a week) and did outreach, evangelization, selling of their properties to give
Going to " church" is not commanded by Jesus Christ of Nazareth. This is quite different from the Body of Christ, His Church , those who are in Him. This is commanded for salvation. Those who walk with Him daily through His Holy Spirit do the will of the Father. This one on one relationship brings out the fruits of the Holy Spirit and can be displayed at any time in the life of a Spirit filled Christian.

Galatians 5:22-23 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control..

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with sis but would also say the gifts He gave us is always meant to be given away. So not going is not thinking of Him.. we do not forsake our gathering. Its just one more way of staying strong in the lord.

To the OP why look at the negative? Over 30 million Churches in the world. Thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions getting saved day in day out. Look how this started.. yeah its not dying its always growing stronger. Fact "we" do not know how many are going to Church or not... haha like the song paying right now "Have a little faith".

Yet Christ is not talking like this man is. He does not judge nor condemn. Use to be a guilt offering .. something else Christ died for. Maybe talk about it in a different way. Were talking about people/Children that belong to a God. And since I have not gone to every Church in my own city I could tell you how many go vs not. It would be just speculation something God does not do.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
seeker2122, regarding "the problem"...

I'm a firm believer in attending church whenever the doors are open. That means Sunday service and Sunday School, Wednesday Bible study, holiday fellowships, etc. But we do need to remember, the local church is just a building. It's a place for Christians to meet and fellowship. The true "church" is all believers who are united in their faith in Christ. It is the body of Christ. It's not one denomination or the other. It's not a building.

We don't have to go to a physical church to believe in God, to study the Bible, to read the words of Jesus or to proclaim the Gospel to others. While most do attend church to do these things, we also attend to have fellowship with other Christians, to be around people who are like-minded. And it's good that we do this. We need to associate with like-minded people because the world can be a scary place to live in. But our study of the Word should be on a continuous basis, throughout the week. It should be something we miss if we don't do it.

As saved followers of Christ, the fruits and gifts of the Spirit should be evident in the way we live our lives daily. You're correct in saying people nowadays don't have time, or in many cases don't make time, to attend services or functions other than on Sunday mornings. But we should be presenting to the world our fruits and gifts as a result of our faith, and we can all do that on a daily basis, regardless of time constraints. We can pray for those who are ill while sitting at our desk at work. We can spread the Gospel while lunching with friends. We can show our faith to those around us, whether well-known to us or strangers, in the way we act and live our lives.

Many churches in my area are full on Sundays, many others have sparse attendance. Some have memberships that go above and beyond when it comes to attendance and ministering, some don't. Whether that has anything to do with time restraints I don't know. But I'm a firm believer that people will and do make time for what is truly important in their lives. Many churches have outreach ministries that can be done at the member's discretion. A person just has to decide which is more important -- to help out at a food bank for a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon or to spend that same time going to lunch and a movie with friends. Most of us know, or have known in the past, the man who makes time to go fishing on Sunday morning instead of going to church, or the woman who plays cards with friends on Wednesday evening instead of attending Bible study. The bottom line is, time is what we make of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! A whole week is a long time to go without fellowship, there may be smaller group ministries mid week that you can help out in. These days every ministry is calling out for helpers. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The early church had the same issues of business, some were slaves, with masters who drove them, but the Apostles said "do not be concerned about it". We also should not be worried, but rather have peace about our calling, be it to work or family.

1Co 7:20-21 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called. Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it.

But even the Apostles got too busy and made appointments to "free" themselves for the purpose of the ministry.

Act 6:2-4 Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business; but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word."

If we can free ourselves for the ministry it is a good thing, but it is not always possible.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Hello! A whole week is a long time to go without fellowship, there may be smaller group ministries mid week that you can help out in. These days every ministry is calling out for helpers. God Bless :)
This is true. You also don't want to become burned out. Go where the Holy Spirit guides you.

Blessings

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is true. You also don't want to become burned out. Go where the Holy Spirit guides you.

Blessings
Yes, that's true about the burn-out, something to watch out for. I think if you serve in an area you're good in or that you enjoy or that you're passionate about then it will be more rewarding. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
daughter goes to church for youth group on wed, so not just church on Sun
she's been doing volunteer work for several churches in town including packing meals for another country & just helped at local food bank with another church
next weekend, she'll be volunteering by serving food
there are many ways to help others during the week

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums