United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
SUICIDE: the RCC view

1. suicide has traditionally been considered a gravely wrong moral action, i.e. a mortal sin.

2. suicide violates a genuine love for oneself and one's neighbor (a Love Commandment)

3. suicide defiles the love we owe God (a Love Commandment)

Only God can read the depths of our soul(spirit).
Only He knows how much we love Him and how responsible we are for our actions.
We leave the judgment then to Him alone.
The Catechism offers words of great hope:
"We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives.
By ways known to Him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance.
The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives" (#2283).
Therefore, we do offer the Mass for the repose of the soul of a suicide victim,
invoking God's tender love and mercy, and His healing grace for the grieving loved ones.

REF: The Sin of Suicide

My View:

God is the giver and taker of life..

Job 1:21
He said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Job 33:4
The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Isaiah 42:5 Thus says God the Lord,
Who created the heavens and stretched them out,
Who spread out the earth and its offspring,
Who gives breath to the people on it (Body/Soul combo)
And SPIRIT to those who walk in it,

Zechariah 12:1 ...Thus declares the Lord
who stretches out the heavens,
lays the foundation of the earth, and
forms the SPIRIT of man within him,

God knows the spirit, soul, and bodies of ALL Mankind, especially believers, His beloved "children".

1 Chronicles 28:9...King David upon giving his kingdom to his wise son
“As for you, my son Solomon,
know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind;
for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts.
IF you seek Him, He will let you find Him; BUT
IF you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.

SUICIDE: The killing of self (a homocide) is intentional MURDER, an enumerated sin.

Exodus 20:13 / Deuteronomy 5:17: “You shall not murder.

Matthew 5:
21 “You have heard that the ancients were told,
‘You shall not commit murder’ and
‘Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.’
22 But I say to you
that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court;
and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before [p]the supreme court;
and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Matthew 19:18...And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder...

The sins of believers are forgiven UPON CONFESSION (agreeing with God) 1 John 1.

1 JOHN 1 (NASB)…TO BELIEVERS! …God Is Light (NOTE: Dark is absence of Light)
5 This is the message “we” have heard from Him (Jesus) and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have FELLOWSHIP with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not PRACTICE the “truth”;
7 BUT if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have FELLOWSHIP with “one another”,
and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we CONFESS (AGREE WITH GOD ABOUT) our sins, He is faithful and righteous to FORGIVE us our sins and to CLEANSE us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Forgiveness of Sins is a spiritual gift and a major benefit of salvation.

The hard question: did the suicide victim claim the benefit of 1 John 1 before death?? Only God Knows!! Only God Justly JUDGES!

Hebrews 9:27
And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die (BODY/SOUL) once and after this comes judgment,(of immortal SPIRITS)

Ecclesiastes 12...Remember God in Your Youth: AT DEATH, SPIRIT returns to God
Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth,
before the evil days come and the years draw near when you will say,
“I have no delight in them”;...
For man goes to his ETERNAL home while mourners go about in the street....
7 then the dust (Body/Soul) will return to the earth as it was, (Genesis 2:7)
and the SPIRIT (breath of life) will return to God who gave it. (Genesis 1:26)
8 “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher, “all is vanity!”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A Jehovah's Witness might say the person would cease to exist and would not be recreated at the resurrection.
Why do you ask? You can speak frankly. I won't judge.
Excuse me but as a former JW I know what the official view on those who commit suicide is and it is not how you describe. JWs tell their members not to judge suicidals but to let God determine what was involved in each individual case and judge in a righteous manner. After all, he is the only one qualified to accurately assess all the psychological, hereditary, factors which impelled the person to make such a decision.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I highly doubt that it works that way either.
If a Christian commits suicide, is he/she still saved?

. Many believe that a Christian who commits suicide will not be saved. This teaching is not supported in the Bible.

Scripture teaches that, from the moment we truly believe in Christ, we are guaranteed eternal life (John 3:16). According to the Bible, Christians can know beyond any doubt that they possess eternal life (1 John 5:13). Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love (Romans 8:38–39). No “created thing” can separate a Christian from God’s love, and even a Christian who commits suicide is a “created thing”; therefore, not even suicide can separate a Christian from God’s love. Jesus died for all of our sins, and if a true Christian, in a time of spiritual attack and weakness, commits suicide, his sin is still covered by the blood of Christ.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think anyone can definitively give you an answer for that, except that for sure you will miss out on Gods promises for you on earth. My suggestion to those thinking of this act would be to take your focus off of self and zero in on Jesus Christ in a personal way. He and only He has the power to take you out of that funk you are in. He has the power to shed new light in ways you never knew existed on your earthly portion of eternal life. And the earthly portion ( this life here and now) is but a flash in the pan compared with the rest of eternity.

Another thing is just that, we live eternally someplace and those places are but two: 1 to be with the Lord forever, with no more suffering, no more sin and full enlightenment. 2 eternal damnation, suffering and separation from God forever in darkness. I'd rather seek Jesus now on earth than risk that second option .

If you think about hell, it's 100's times worse than your worse torments on earth and it never ends, there is no rest, not even a drink of water. Want to risk that ?

So stay in misery. While true, doesn't bring much hope, does it?

I don't know what take your focus off of self and zero in on Jesus means. I've been a Christian for most of my life. I've spent my life trying to live for the Lord. That hasn't changed anything about life though. Prayer, faith, living right, staying away from crazy, avoiding evil, telling the truth, being open about my faith,

You get up in the morning when you don't want to, to drive to a place you don't want to go, so you can do work you don't want to do, and then go home tired bored and miserable, so that you can sleep for the purpose of being able to do it all over again the next day.

You do this week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade, until you grow old and die.

For what purpose? So I can hear well done good and faithful servant I suppose, and I would hope Heaven is worth it. But to think that at age 40, all I have to look forward to for the next 30 years, is the same that I experienced the last 30 years, is down right horrifying.

None of my prayers to have a decent job, or any success in life, have ever been answered. It's safe to assume that isn't his plan for me. Or more likely, I'm simply too evil of a person? Not enough faith? Doesn't matter now anyway. At this point my prayers are simply that the Lord of mercy grants me an early exit. 40 years of pointless misery is enough I think.

You don't need to worry about me that much. I've been around this long, I'll likely just remain in my zombie like existence until the end. I've been in it for 30 years straight, I can remain in it for another 30 years. But I can certainly see why so many of the old prophets ask G-d to let them die, and why so many wish to end it today.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Non Christians are supposed to be depression and without hope, but Christians who have Christ are suppose to be happy because of Christ, right? Is that right or what is the person is mentally ill?

Non-Christians can be happy.
And I don't see any reason why Christians, in bad situations would be happy. I assume you have read the book of Job. Can you really say in that situation you would be happy? I don't think so.

Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So stay in misery. While true, doesn't bring much hope, does it?

I don't know what take your focus off of self and zero in on Jesus means. I've been a Christian for most of my life. I've spent my life trying to live for the Lord. That hasn't changed anything about life though. Prayer, faith, living right, staying away from crazy, avoiding evil, telling the truth, being open about my faith,

You get up in the morning when you don't want to, to drive to a place you don't want to go, so you can do work you don't want to do, and then go home tired bored and miserable, so that you can sleep for the purpose of being able to do it all over again the next day.

You do this week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade, until you grow old and die.

For what purpose? So I can hear well done good and faithful servant I suppose, and I would hope Heaven is worth it. But to think that at age 40, all I have to look forward to for the next 30 years, is the same that I experienced the last 30 years, is down right horrifying.

None of my prayers to have a decent job, or any success in life, have ever been answered. It's safe to assume that isn't his plan for me. Or more likely, I'm simply too evil of a person? Not enough faith? Doesn't matter now anyway. At this point my prayers are simply that the Lord of mercy grants me an early exit. 40 years of pointless misery is enough I think.

You don't need to worry about me that much. I've been around this long, I'll likely just remain in my zombie like existence until the end. I've been in it for 30 years straight, I can remain in it for another 30 years. But I can certainly see why so many of the old prophets ask G-d to let them die, and why so many wish to end it today.

If you still lurk this site, know you're not alone in your feelings. I am right there with you.

I pray that God has blessed you abundantly since this post went up.

Upvote 0