Indiana
✟17,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if a Christian commits it what happens to that person? Just curious.
A Catholic might say it's a mortal sin, so hell is the result, unless the person fails in the attempt and then confesses her sin to a priest. An evangelical might say if the person is saved, she would still get to heaven, but might add that a person who commits suicide might not really be saved, in which case hell would be the result. A Mormon might say the one who commits suidice would still make it to one of the heavens, unless she has left the Mormon faith, then she'd be in outer darkness. A Jehovah's Witness might say the person would cease to exist and would not be recreated at the resurrection. Other Christians might say we don't know, but we can count on God to be fair in his judgement of or mercy shown to the person.

Why do you ask? You can speak frankly. I won't judge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't think anyone can definitively give you an answer for that, except that for sure you will miss out on Gods promises for you on earth. My suggestion to those thinking of this act would be to take your focus off of self and zero in on Jesus Christ in a personal way. He and only He has the power to take you out of that funk you are in. He has the power to shed new light in ways you never knew existed on your earthly portion of eternal life. And the earthly portion ( this life here and now) is but a flash in the pan compared with the rest of eternity.

Another thing is just that, we live eternally someplace and those places are but two: 1 to be with the Lord forever, with no more suffering, no more sin and full enlightenment. 2 eternal damnation, suffering and separation from God forever in darkness. I'd rather seek Jesus now on earth than risk that second option .

If you think about hell, it's 100's times worse than your worse torments on earth and it never ends, there is no rest, not even a drink of water. Want to risk that ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

spockrates

Wonderer
Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
✟17,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anyone can definitively give you an answer for that, except that for sure you will miss out on Gods promises for you on earth. My suggestion to those thinking of this act would to be to take your focus off of self and zero in on Jesus Christ in a personal way. He and only He has the power to take you out of that funk you are in. He has the power to shed new light in ways you never knew existed on your earthly portion of eternal life. And the earthly portion ( this life here and now) is but a flash in the pan compared with the rest of eternity.

Another thing is just that, we live eternally someplace and those places are but two: 1 to be with the Lord forever, with no more suffering, no more sin and full enlightenment. 2 eternal damnation, suffering and separation from God forever in darkness. I'd rather seek Jesus now on earth than risk that second option .

If you think about hell, it's 100's times worse than your worse torments on earth and it never ends, there is no rest, not even a drink of water. Want to risk that ?
Just a thought: It might be @Theokayman1 isn't thinking of committing suicide but knows someone who has. :)

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Just a thought: It might be @Theokayman1 isn't thinking of committing suicide but knows someone who has. :)
That's why I said "to those thinking of this act" , I didn't assume the OP was. I will edit my post and highlight that portion or bold it out.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mark 12:26-27 He is the God of the living and not of the dead. If a Christian commits suicide, who is their god?

What is the level of drug and alcohol use of the person who is thinking of doing this? Just curious. It's been your second post on the topic. If the world seems very dark, it would be good to ask yourself why before making a choice to leave.

Struggling with depression and hopelessness, I once wrote a suicide note that had the reasons I was leaving and why it was a good thing, and how I was stepping from 'the darkness into the light'.

Then I took another piece of paper, and on it, I wrote one single word:

"BullS**t"

And I looked back and forth between the two notes for a little bit.

I stayed.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In another suicide thread I mentioned an Iranian man and I said I was going to post on his testimony. I lost track of where that thread was and never got back. And since decided not to share the testimony but some events from it.

First he was raised in Iran and only knew the Muslim faith. Over a period of nearly 30 years he was always thinking there must be something else. Finally he got down to a deep darkness in his life and saw the world as terrible, dark and evil even. He plotted his suicide down to the day , the hour, the method and set cloths aside to wear that day. One week before the date arrived he met a man, I believe in a park, and they sat and talked for some time. The man invited him to his church on Sunday and gave him the address. Our Iranian friend in the story thought "what is the use in that". But then in thinking it out , he rethought "why not", he wasn't killing himself till that following week anyway, so might as well go. From the time of making that choice he began to feel something in his heart he never felt before, it was a lighter feeling he said. And on his way to church that Sunday he was feeling more light and almost some excitement. He listened to the service and it really spoke to him, this was a Christian Church ( he stated that in those days there were some Christian churches in Iran. By the end of the service he began feeling emotional and they did an altar call. He got up and went to the altar, he accepted Jesus that day, repeating the words calling Jesus in, as floods of tears poured from his eyes. And from that moment on all thoughts of suicide were gone from his life.

This man was maybe 30 when that took place, today he is about 50 and has a wife and two kids. True story, he gave that testimony in front of hundreds of people at a missions conference just last weekend that I attended, and he did it with full conviction in his voice. It's all about Jesus !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
if a Christian commits it what happens to that person? Just curious.
If you have your CF badge with you, there is a chance of a more lenient sentence than eternal flames. I think you can get like 100 years off? Something like that. You'll need to check with authorities.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
When you are broken and when you have come to the end of yourself, when you don't know what to do and you don't know where to turn. At that time, when you call out in a tiny bit of faith to Jesus and say, yes I believe in you, I must trust in you Jesus, I don't know what to do anymore and I need You. And you mean that. That is a life changer, that moment you will never ever forget, you became born again that day. Not next week, not next year but right then and there. And something happens in your heart, it's called an indwelling Holy Spirit. And it produces a peace on earth that you have never experienced before and that no one but another born again believer can describe. You smile in the midst of adversity now ( and there still is adversity, let no one fool you on that but somehow now you can handle it), when no matter what good thing seemed to happen before, you could rarely if ever smile before. The indwelling spirit is instant, but you need to build in the faith to feel the peace more and more and to build assurance.. It's not that you just hang back and say I'm all set now. No you need to live the life and experience the walk.

Jesus died on a cross, because He loves us. And He stated on earth that He came so you could have life and have it more abundantly. I like this version of that from the Amplified : John 10:10
AMP
The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance [to the full, till it overflows].

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't think suicide is a rational decision for a Christian to make. It's like a backhander to our Creator. The ultimate in ingratitude. Its out of our hands. Its not our call. We didn't give ourselves life so we don't have the right to take it.
But its easy for me to say. I've never been under the pump like someone who is in awful pain daily and immobile. Its easy to judge suicidal persons. We need to at least attempt compassion, if we don't have it naturally.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't think suicide is a rational decision for a Christian to make.

Suicide is almost never (if ever) a rational decision for anyone to make. People don't end their lives because it is the most logical position to take, suicide is the tragic end resulting from immense pain and turmoil; the Church ought to be present, immediately, to aid those in such pain and to bring to them comfort and love and healing, spiritual healing obviously, but mental, emotional, and psychological healing through counseling and medical care either directly or indirectly.

It's like a backhander to our Creator. The ultimate in ingratitude. Its out of our hands. Its not our call. We didn't give ourselves life so we don't have the right to take it.
But its easy for me to say. I've never been under the pump like someone who is in awful pain daily and immobile. Its easy to judge suicidal persons. We need to at least attempt compassion, if we don't have it naturally.

The person who commits suicide is not an offender, they are a victim. We should not treat people who are contemplating or who have attempted suicide as though they are offenders but as victims of immense pain, grief, sorrow and the proper response is as we would to any victim: unconditional and immense love, compassion, kindness, care and to be there, at their side, to be with them through everything, and to lift them up when they can't carry themselves.

To utilize Lutheran language, this is not a matter of Law, but Gospel. The person contemplating suicide does not need the Law to condemn them here, they need the Gospel to deliver to them the comfort, kindness, and compassion of God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Suicide is almost never (if ever) a rational decision for anyone to make.
I knew someone would say that. If you read some existentialists, they say it is the only rational thing to do, if you find your life is meaningless. Hey, I'm not promoting suicide here by the way. Not at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you have your CF badge with you, there is a chance of a more lenient sentence than eternal flames. I think you can get like 100 years off? Something like that. You'll need to check with authorities.
100 years off from being roasted eternally isn't much of a lenient sentence.

• Agree
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

BNM

Sep 21, 2017
taytay
✟7,945.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Murder is a sin. Murdering someone else is a sin. Murdering yourself is a sin.
We all know what happens when we sin - we get separated from God.

But the thing is, we're all human and we make mistakes, but we shouldn't live with such a mentality. We should try our best to live as pure of a life as we possibly can, asking God to show us even the unknown sins in our lives.

However, I'm sure that God is compassion to those who commit suicide because of a mental disorder (like schizophrenia or depression). But if you do it knowing that what you are doing is against God's will, but still chose to do it, then it is definitely a sin.

Upvote 0