Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So although you acknowledge that "we shouldn't do any of the sins, including suicide" - but instead if we choose to do them, does that mean we're still saved? Isn't that what Paul preached against in Romans when he stated that grace is not a license to sin? One can always genuinely repent after sinning and thus receive mercy. The problem with suicide though is that repentance is not possible since one is already dead.

I'm sorry, I don't believe in any human being achieving a sinless life after salvation . . . just a forgiven life.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, my first husband committed suicide. My second died of cancer but was an unbeliever, he died in fear of death. Both caused me deep anguish in different ways. I personally think neither will have gone to heaven. That is my own view.

Surely suicide is a sin seeing as it is not up to us to choose the moment and method of leaving this life. Only God can do that.

Years ago I suffered depression and felt life not worth living.But since becoming a true follower of Jesus, I have never felt like that again. Jesus fills us with life and joy, with strength to face life's trials head on, life is so precious.

I just want to know what Jesus says about suicide. The Bible is surely our ultimate guide to all aspects of life?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, I don't believe in any human being achieving a sinless life after salvation . . . just a forgiven life.
Nor do I believe that any person is sinless after salvation. You simply did not address my reply. So may I assume you believe that a believer is still forgiven if he/she doesn't repent of sin after being saved?

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, my first husband committed suicide. My second died of cancer but was an unbeliever, he died in fear of death. Both caused me deep anguish in different ways. I personally think neither will have gone to heaven. That is my own view.

Surely suicide is a sin seeing as it is not up to us to choose the moment and method of leaving this life. Only God can do that.

Years ago I suffered depression and felt life not worth living.But since becoming a true follower of Jesus, I have never felt like that again. Jesus fills us with life and joy, with strength to face life's trials head on, life is so precious.

I just want to know what Jesus says about suicide. The Bible is surely our ultimate guide to all aspects of life?
Well Lilly the fact of the matter is the bible doesn't mention suicide but of course does mention that we shall not kill. Did you read the article I posted back on the first page ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One is saved by trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, and one is saved from the penalty of sin.
But the penalty of sin is Death. Do you believe you will not die? And if you decided to make this part spiritual....as in "saved from a spiritual death" wouldnt you have to wait until the spiritual death happens for all it is intended for, and you escape it, before you say you are saved?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One is saved by trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, and one is saved from the penalty of sin.
And what does trusting in Jesus as savior entail? are these words you just repeat? as in " I Trust in Jesus as my lord and Savior!" And then no matter what i do after, I am "Saved?"

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nor do I believe that any person is sinless after salvation. You simply did not address my reply. So may I assume you believe that a believer is still forgiven if he/she doesn't repent of sin after being saved?

Of course, at the time one becomes saved, one must repent and turn away from a sinful life. However, this is imperfectly done in this mortal realm. The imperfection of our efforts to do right does not preclude our ultimate salvation. And that includes the imperfection of suicide.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And what does trusting in Jesus as savior entail? are these words you just repeat? as in " I Trust in Jesus as my lord and Savior!" And then no matter what i do after, I am "Saved?"

Clearly not, there must be a sincere desire to turn away from sin and turn towards righteousness. God of course is able to fairly judge the sincerity of that and act accordingly. We mortals are forced to make our own imperfect judgements of others by observing their works. So as mortals we take people at their word that they have trusted Jesus as Lord and Savior, but the reality of anyone's repentance and faith and sincerity is a matter between each person and God.

• Optimistic
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course, at the time one becomes saved, one must repent and turn away from a sinful life. However, this is imperfectly done in this mortal realm. The imperfection of our efforts to do right does not preclude our ultimate salvation. And that includes the imperfection of suicide.
I ask you again. Do you believe that a believer is still forgiven if he/she doesn't repent of sin after being saved? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I ask you again. Do you believe that a believer is still forgiven if he/she doesn't repent of sin after being saved? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Sorry, you're going to get a more nuanced reply than a simple yes or no.

Once a person has truly repented of their past sins and accepted by God for salvation, then further sins will occur from time to time . . . nobody's perfect . . . but all the person's sins for their whole life are covered by the blood of Christ. And that includes the sin of suicide. If you are a Christian, you don't have to live in constant dread of not having repented of your latest sin . . . you are safe in the hands of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, you're going to get a more nuanced reply than a simple yes or no.

Once a person has truly repented of their past sins and accepted by God for salvation, then further sins will occur from time to time . . . nobody's perfect . . . but all the person's sins for their whole life are covered by the blood of Christ. And that includes the sin of suicide. If you are a Christian, you don't have to live in constant dread of not having repented of your latest sin . . . you are safe in the hands of Jesus.
Sorry but a nuanced reply evades my simple question. Repentance is required for forgiveness even after one is saved. That's why Paul in Romans warned that grace is not a license do sin. That is why suicide is not forgiveable because the dead person can't repent. Your view is rather simple to disprove. Since you believe that "you are safe in the hands of Jesus" then see what happens when you or any other Christian takes the mark of the beast. Does the Bible say you will be safe then?

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry but a nuanced reply evades my simple question. Repentance is required for forgiveness even after one is saved. That's why Paul in Romans warned that grace is not a license do sin. That is why suicide is not forgiveable because the dead person can't repent. Your view is rather simple to disprove. Since you believe that "you are safe in the hands of Jesus" then see what happens when you or any other Christian takes the mark of the beast. Does the Bible say you will be safe then?

In your eschatology the mark of the beast is future. In my eschatology the mark of the beast was agreeing to worship the emperor once a year, and happened at the time Revelation was written.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My opinion is that if you truly believe and trust in Jesus, you shouldn't get ever to the stage of wishing to kill yourself. He fills us with life, joy. To take your or anyone's life is so wrong and cannot be the answer. I believe that it is always the Devil whispering in the head of a vulnerable person, urging them to take what seems the 'easy' way out, escape the pain of life somehow. It is vital not to listen to that voice but instead the voice of our Good Shepherd.
I have experienced depression in my life, I did once only once, attempt suicide. It was when I was 12 years old. New school, no friends, frightened and unable to cope, nobody to confidence in. I saw no reason to live. So I took a number of tablets, 20 anadin. I lay down and felt such peace, expected to die. Then thankfully I vomitted and decided to not try that again. After that I decided to concentrate on studying and get on. I did well. But struggled with depression as I found life hard. Somehow God must have helped. So I did reach that place of no hope.

Now, knowing Jesus power in my life, I know life is precious and it is not our decision ever to decide on the time to end our life. Only Gods. Jesus gives us rational sound minds. He puts everything right if we trust Him and allow Him to guide us.

Upvote 0