Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe the soul of one who takes their own life is in eternal torment. That person will not go to heaven. Am I right? Or wrong? It's just my understanding.

I want to know what the scriptures say. I have an atheist friend who says how can God, if he exists, and who is a loving God, possibly condemn a person to eternal damnation because they were in such pain they chose suicide? I replied that the person condemned themselves. God does not punish, people punish themselves. Am I right?

So, to settle the argument, what is the teaching of the Bible on suicide and the fate of said souls please?

Stancet

May 20, 2016
Tennessee
✟22,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know your dilemma and I've had many close family who believed the same thing. However, I have read a substantial amount of the Bible and have not yet found anything that says suicide is a straight ticket to hell.

But God wants to give us new life, and some born again believers might take there own life because they failed to pursue a deeper relationship with Him. All I'm saying is that God is life, and the closer to Him we are the better He makes our lives, which is the best way I know of to help people who struggle with suicidal thoughts.

Upvote 0

Stancet

May 20, 2016
Tennessee
✟22,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
that isn't dangerous to say?

It is wrong to encourage people to commit suicide, yes. But even if the Bible doesn't teach that suicide leads to hell, we should also teach people what it means to have a meaningful relationship with God. I know, because I've struggled with suicide and pursuing Jesus in my life has cured me of that. I live for Him because I know He has a plan for my life, as He does for everyone else who struggles with suicide.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is wrong to encourage people to commit suicide, yes. But even if the Bible doesn't teach that suicide leads to hell, we should also teach people what it means to have a meaningful relationship with God. I know, because I've struggled with suicide and pursuing Jesus in my life has cured me of that. I live for Him because I know He has a plan for my life, as He does for everyone else who struggles with suicide.
I suffered many suicidal thoughts, but i found hope again. Never give up, thats my motto.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe the soul of one who takes their own life is in eternal torment. That person will not go to heaven. Am I right? Or wrong? It's just my understanding.

I want to know what the scriptures say. I have an atheist friend who says how can God, if he exists, and who is a loving God, possibly condemn a person to eternal damnation because they were in such pain they chose suicide? I replied that the person condemned themselves. God does not punish, people punish themselves. Am I right?

So, to settle the argument, what is the teaching of the Bible on suicide and the fate of said souls please?

I am a part of a denomination that teaches once saved, always saved.

So if a Christian is truly saved, and then later commits the sin of suicide, she is still saved. Just as if she died committing any other sin at the time. There's nothing magical about suicide compared to other sins. Of course, we shouldn't do any of the sins, including suicide.

And there are times when suicide might be the honorable thing to do. In war, for example, if being captured by the enemy while knowing critical secrets, one could honor the soldier who commits suicide rather than face the tortuous interrogation sure to come. Such instances are very rare, of course.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

1 Chronicles chapter 10 verse 13
Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance,

That's the only suicide that I know the bible says any thing about.

James chapter 4 verse 12
There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you--who are you to judge your neighbor?

So we know nothing about what happens when there's a suicide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So if a Christian is truly saved, and then later commits the sin of suicide, she is still saved. Just as if she died committing any other sin at the time. There's nothing magical about suicide compared to other sins. Of course, we shouldn't do any of the sins, including suicide.

And there are times when suicide might be the honorable thing to do. In war, for example, if being captured by the enemy while knowing critical secrets, one could honor the soldier who commits suicide rather than face the tortuous interrogation sure to come. Such instances are very rare, of course.
How is one saved in your denom.....and what are they saved from?

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Word of God does not speak about suicide (except maybe with King Saul who was wounded unto death), but life and death is shown in many ways. We need to look further to God's ways and His understanding of man and his struggles.

First, let us see that God always knows the end from the beginning, and He very well knows who will yield and be saved and who will not. Those who reject God and His "...so great salvation" in His "...beloved Son" will die in their sinful nature even from birth (as we are all born in sin from the malady we inherited from the beginning (Gen.1-3). God is seeking for man to surrender their will and bow to Him in a cry for mercy, and receive His remedy as in the message of the Gospels of His immutable Word.

Eternal life and blessings is not in our efforts and works, but in real faith and devotion to the Lord Jesus, and that is all known to God. Whether one lives recklessly or carelessly, they have the responsibility to come to the Savior. Suicide is just one way to die, and it is sad that any one dies; and it is sad that one has such a bad life experience even from birth that they are extremely depressed even to death; nevertheless, we live and die (some soon and some later) ---and we need to take heed to God and His Word and be saved ("born again" --John 3 & 1 Jn. 5:10-12, etc.).

No one can fault God for any failures, and He does righteously and loves all souls, but it is left to man to choose God or not. Some souls do suffer so greatly they think to end their life, and they might first get saved and yet see no good in living; however, we MUST leave death to God, and learn to pray for strength and peace to continue on with Him. I recommend one read the post on TESTIMONIES section herein about Mike's Blessings to see something about this matter of suffering and blessings from God. There is a reward for a ministry of suffering I have learned.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

So although you acknowledge that "we shouldn't do any of the sins, including suicide" - but instead if we choose to do them, does that mean we're still saved? Isn't that what Paul preached against in Romans when he stated that grace is not a license to sin? One can always genuinely repent after sinning and thus receive mercy. The problem with suicide though is that repentance is not possible since one is already dead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wouldnt either. The question though is, whats the bible say?

What the Bible Says about Suicide - Prayer Against Depression
If we knew that we would still go to Heaven if we killed ourselves, there would probably be a lot more suicides taking place than there already are. However, if we knew that all who killed themselves were automatically banished to Hell, no matter what their situation, it may be too much for the grief-stricken family and friends to bear.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I disagree with the article you posted.

If we knew that we would still go to Heaven if we killed ourselves, there would probably be a lot more suicides taking place than there already are. However, if we knew that all who killed themselves were automatically banished to Hell, no matter what their situation, it may be too much for the grief-stricken family and friends to bear.

Upvote 0