Suicide is a sin that cannot be forgiven?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever heard that suicide is a sin that cannot be forgiven? Where did this teaching come from? Why can't it be forgiven? Didn't Jesus die for all of our sins past, present, and future? So why is suicide an unforgivable sin?

Reactions: danbuter

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever heard that suicide is a sin that cannot be forgiven? Where did this teaching come from? Why can't it be forgiven? Didn't Jesus die for all of our sins past, present, and future? So why is suicide an unforgivable sin?

Correct, suicide is indeed an unpardonable sin. One of God's 10 commandments is that we should not kill *EXODUS 20:13. This includes ourselves. When we sin or break God's commandments when we are alive we can always seek God in repentance and forgiveness for our sins as we have faith in God's WORD. You cannot do this once you have killed yourself.

We are not our own we are brought with a price.

1 CORINTHIANS 3:16-17
[16], Know you not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? [17], If any man defiles the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archer_on_Fire

Oct 17, 2018
West coast
✟4,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Having been suicidal and having lost someone to suicide, it is often the result of mental illness and an act of utter hopelessness.

Christians can become ill. Just like anyone else, including with depression or any other mental illness. Depression warps the mind and the individual who commits suicide is not in the right state of mind. I believe God understands this.

While depression is treatable, for some people medication doesn't help and neither does therapy. Why? I don't know.

So no I absolutely don't believe it is an unforgivable sin. God said nothing can snatch a saved person out of his hands, including mental illness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Suicide is not the unforgivable sin.

Having been suicidal and having lost someone to suicide, it is often the result of mental illness and an act of utter hopelessness.

So no I absolutely don't believe it is an unforgivable sin.

Of course suicide is an unforgiveable sin. How can you seek God's forgiveness once you have killed yourself when one of the 10 commandments is thou shalt not kill *EXODUS 20:13?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are, at least, six different kinds of suicide:
  1. Self-murder,
  2. Self-homicide (for unclear reasons),
  3. Unsuccessful defense,
  4. Self-sacrifice,
  5. Unnecessary self-sacrifice, and
  6. Recklessness for the same five reasons.
You will have to be more specific about which type of suicide you are referring to.

• Informative
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Someone who is suicidal is not mentally stable at that particular moment and anyone who has ever lived has had thought at one time or another about this. Blasphemy is the only unforgivable sin and that is ignoring the Holy Spirits calling to receive salvation. Once you accept Jesus, Romans 8:38,39
No suicide does not condemn you! However it is NOT God's plan for you and you simply cheat yourself out of many many blessings in life and hurt your family greatly.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Someone who is suicidal is not mentally stable at that particular moment and anyone who has ever lived has had thought at one time or another about this. Blasphemy is the only unforgivable sin and that is ignoring the Holy Spirits calling to receive salvation. Once you accept Jesus, Romans 8:38,39
No suicide does not condemn you! However it is NOT God's plan for you and you simply cheat yourself out of many many blessings in life and hurt your family greatly.

GOD'S 6TH COMMANDMENT

EXODUS 20:13. Thou shalt not kill.

Breaking any of God's commandments is sin *JAMES 2:10-11. The wages of sin is death ROMANS 6:23. How are you going to seek God's forgiveness for the sin of killing yourself once you have died?

[16], Know you not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? [17], If any man defiles the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AACJ
Upvote 0

Archer_on_Fire

Oct 17, 2018
West coast
✟4,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course suicide is an unforgiveable sin. How can you seek God's forgiveness once you have killed yourself when one of the 10 commandments is thou shalt not kill *EXODUS 20:13?

You have not read a thing I wrote have you? You honestly think someone who was in the right frame of mind would kill themselves?

You honestly think God is so heartless that He wouldn't understand mental illness?

I pray to God you never get the call saying someone you love has killed themselves.

It changes things.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Right. Suicide is never an option even though it is a sin that can be forgiven. I believe that suicide can be forgiven because Jesus says what the unforgivable sin was in 3 of the gospels. Which is like you said rejecting the holy spirits call to salvation. But suicide causes tons of pain to the victims family and should never be considered. They say because of my mental illness that I'm much more likely than normal to die of suicide. But I don't want to leave my loving family away. Besides I'm probably going to be gone within the next 20 years.

Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You have not read a thing I wrote have you? You honestly think someone who was in the right frame of mind would kill themselves?

You honestly think God is so heartless that He wouldn't understand mental illness?

I believe that God can forgive mental illness. Some things cannot be helped. Jesus died for asll our sins on tyher cross.

• Agree
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was watching an Anthony Bourdain show filmed in South Texas near the Mexican border. I thought it is sad he is gone. I wondered if it was murder or suicide. His younger lover was photographed holding hands in public with another man two days before he was found hanging in his hotel room. He was gone most of the time on the road and she wandered away from him. Whether one wants to forgive him or not he can not come back. Do not think suicide is a way to heaven. It is murder.

Upvote 0

Archer_on_Fire

Oct 17, 2018
West coast
✟4,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's WORD disagrees with you.

GOD'S 6TH COMMANDMENT

Breaking any of God's commandments is sin *JAMES 2:10-11. The wages of sin is death ROMANS 6:23. How are you going to seek God's forgiveness for the sin of killing yourself once you have died?

Because suicide is the result of mental illness. And I choose to believe God has more compassion on those suffering than most possess in their little pinky finger.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I pray to God you never get the call saying someone you love has killed themselves.

Hello Archer_on_Fire, yes I did read everything you wrote. It is not biblical. All of us have tempation to break any of God's Commandments. Breaking anyone of them is sin *JAMES 2:10-11; 1 JOHN 3:4. The wages is sin is death to all those who reject the gift of God's dear son [FORGIVENESS through confession and repentance and faith]. If you kill yourself you have committed an unpardonable sin because there is no way you can seek God's forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Archer_on_Fire

Oct 17, 2018
West coast
✟4,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was watching an Anthony Bourdain show filmed in South Texas near the Mexican border. I thought it is sad he is gone. I wondered if it was murder or suicide. His younger lover was photographed holding hands in public with another man two days before he was found hanging in his hotel room. He was gone most of the time on the road and she wandered away from him. Whether one wants to forgive him or not he can not come back. Do not think suicide is a way to heaven. It is murder.

Most likely the only thing the suicidal person is thinking about is getting the pain to stop.

Upvote 0

Archer_on_Fire

Oct 17, 2018
West coast
✟4,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Archer_on_Fire, yes I did read everything you wrote. It is not biblical. All of us have tempation to break any of God's Commandments. Breaking anyone of them is sin *JAMES 2:10-11; 1 JOHN 3:4. The wages is sin is death to all those who reject the gift of God's dear son [FORGIVENESS through confession and repentance and faith]. If you kill yourself you have committed an unpardonable sin because there is no way you can seek God's forgiveness.

It's clear we will have to agree to disagree and that you lack compassion.

I hope you never get the news someone you loved has killed themselves or ever suffer a severe bout of depression.

Neither of those things are those I would wish on anyone.

Unfortunately ignorance can't be helped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Most likely the only thing the suicidal person is thinking about is getting the pain to stop.

Right but they don't stop to consider what it does to the family. The pain stoppingbis also only te!mporary.

Reactions: misput
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God's WORD disagrees with you.

GOD'S 6TH COMMANDMENT

The forgiveness of sins is always there, on God's end (For His mercy endureth forever). It's only on our end that something needs to happen in order for us to benefit from it. Does something possibly happen within a person who has committed an action leading to their death and the precise time of the actual death which can lead to the repentance and salvation of said person? Can we know for certain what transpired between that person and their Creator immediately prior to their expiration? Can we be the all-knowing judges of this?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It's clear we will have to agree to disagree and that you lack compassion.

I hope you never get the news someone you loved has killed themselves or ever suffer a severe bout of depression.

Neither of those things are those I would wish on anyone.

Unfortunately ignorance can't be helped.

You can choose to believe God's WORD or not. I was only sharing the scriptures with you. What you're suggesting is not biblical.

Upvote 0

Archer_on_Fire

Oct 17, 2018
West coast
✟4,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right but they don't stop to consider what it does to the family. The pain stoppingbis also only te!mporary.

I am aware having lost someone as I said. When a person is in that state of mind they often can't think of anyone else. In fact, they often view themselves as a burden and think others would be better off without them.

Regarding my loved one, I truly believe God gave me assurance that I will see her again someday.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Neostarwcc , the root issue to your question is Eternal Security vs. Arminianism. It will prove to be quite futile to try to sort out suicide ethics without grappling with that larger issue, first. And that is an on-going debate.

• Agree
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0