Ice Cream Sandwich

Jan 26, 2012
✟7,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peekaboo,

Keep God in it the situation, work with your husband and keep a clear mind through it. You are there to help him along with having the mind to 'run' when things get completely out of hand. This is all I have to say. At least there is a plan in place between you two. It's an addiction though... sounds about as bad being addicted to drugs.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I also arranged a couple of "girl-dates" with some girlfriends in the UK in the weeks after I get home, so that I can have some support or at least a distraction from everything that's going on at home.

You should, if it's possible take the same approach when interacting with him throughout his recovery/healing process. By that I mean that not every interaction you have with him should be about the issue. As much as it is possible, try to have some times with him where this is put aside as completely as possible, just enjoying being with eachother. I'm not saying to fake anything and I'm certainly not saying sweep it under the rug and forget about it. More like "putting it away" for a short while so that what's good in your marriage doesn't get dominated for a long time during his recovery and eventually get forgotten. I've know of couples, reconciling after infidelity or something equally serious who made healing the rift the entire focus of everything they did for a year or more and by the time that issue was handled, they had litterally forgotten what it was they were fighting to save and almost ended up getting divorced anyway. So definitely try to set aside some time to simply enjoy being around eachother, doing the things you've always done together. Obviously there's going to be a bit of an elephant in the room, just try to stuff it into the closet on occasion.

Upvote 0

Agentle

Helping Men Be Set Free
Feb 2, 2012
Australia
Visit site
✟15,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have wives call me about their husbands secret inappropriate content use and what can they do. It is difficult for the husband to accept he has a problem when he is so immersed. Some times it takes something quite radical like leaving until he pops out of his dark cloud. But before you do that may I suggest a manual you can buy him that would definitely help him. Here's my story with the manual info at the end.

I came across inappropriate content accidentally by typing in .com instead of .net for a web address. What I saw exploded my mind and a lot of hidden anchors from the past surfaced. That was 18 years ago. About 4 years later I managed to wean myself off of inappropriate content. I still am tempted here and there but I have a strength in God and a plan and system in place to overcome. After a few more years I started an organization called Set Free inappropriate content, to help men be set free from inappropriate content and lately I started another organization to do the same but also to provide a tool for men to use at home, OFF the internet. It is a self help Manual titled, " Empowering Men - to Overcome The Temptation." You can get the manual from Save The Source . It is 90 pages long and has a unique approach unlike any other manual or book. It will definitely help men stop viewing inappropriate content.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have wives call me about their husbands secret inappropriate content use and what can they do. It is difficult for the husband to accept he has a problem when he is so immersed. Some times it takes something quite radical like leaving until he pops out of his dark cloud. But before you do that may I suggest a manual you can buy him that would definitely help him. Here's my story with the manual info at the end.

I came across inappropriate content accidentally by typing in .com instead of .net for a web address. What I saw exploded my mind and a lot of hidden anchors from the past surfaced. That was 18 years ago. About 4 years later I managed to wean myself off of inappropriate content. I still am tempted here and there but I have a strength in God and a plan and system in place to overcome. After a few more years I started an organization called Set Free inappropriate content, to help men be set free from inappropriate content and lately I started another organization to do the same but also to provide a tool for men to use at home, OFF the internet. It is a self help Manual titled, " Empowering Men - to Overcome The Temptation." You can get the manual from Save The Source . It is 90 pages long and has a unique approach unlike any other manual or book. It will definitely help men stop viewing inappropriate content.

Hi, glad you made it off the P. It's certainly designed with the devil's blessing to be something one craves and buys for life.

In terms of the program you started, is it something that can be used online? If you have the time, could you write me a pm with the particulars. As you can imagine, someone in my kind of position runs across men and women all the time who have addictions to inappropriate contentography. God bless you.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As a man yourself .. do you think that a man in your position would be okay about it if his wife gave him such a manual?

I'm very glad for you that you are free from this addiction. It's a very hard thing to do. :thumbsup:

I also agree that it does take a shock to the system before a person is ready to do a 180. The desire to change has to come from within. Good for you.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2012
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I felt a strong leading to post on this blog tonight, which is funny since I don't usually post on the web.

I wanted to start out by saying that I believe we must be very careful when teaching scripture, or when giving advice to others as teachers are held to a higher standard; that being said, I was first led to respond to the reference to Acts 5:1-11. "But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles feet......"

The explanation given was, "This means that it was not instigated by Sapphira. Her husband did this, but she was totally aware of it, and didn't stop him. So she was held accountable even to the point of death."

I would encourage us all to pray for wisdom when we quote and define scripture. Based on the verse it would appear that both Ananias and Sapphira sold the property, since with = together. I do however, agree that Sapphira was privy to the fact that Ananias kept back some of the proceeds. I believe that the truth should be extended to someone who is sinning as we are called to admonish a sinner, but to interject with the example that Peckaboo's husband knows what he is doing is against God's word and not only that but he is hurting his wife; after that it is that person's choice to choose to sin or not. It is not Peckaboo's responsibility to carry his sin. Is God held accountable because he didn't stop us from doing something? No, absolutely not! Are there consequences for what we do? Absolutely! We all have free will and are responsible for our own sins. As an example, Ananias chose to lie to God so he died in his sin. Sapphira could have confessed and would have been forgiven, but she chose to lie to God too. She died in her own sin not the sin of her husband. I'm happy to go into further detail, but I felt this was not the only reason I was led here tonight.

Dearest Peckaboo,

I am so sorry for what you are going through right now. My heart grieves for you because it sounds so much like the story I am going through with my husband at this moment. The only offering I can give to you is that you are Fearfully and Wonderfully made, and that God loves you unconditionally. I know that this doesn't really help in the physical world we live in because you want and need your flesh and blood husband to love you unconditionally and you feel very lonely at this time. I know what you are going through as I have had the same thoughts and feelings that you are feeling now. Feeling that it would be easier if I was not alive so I didn't have to deal with the pain. At those moments promise me that you will cry out to God and tell him that you need him. I know that I don't know you personally, but I needed and wanted to tell you that you are Wanted, Precious, and Valuable! Remember that you are a Daughter of the Most High King, and that you are precious in His eyes. He knows every hair on your head, every tear that you cry, and every thought even before you speak it. He loves you and will never forsake you! Every time I have felt like I'm at the end of my rope, so to speak. I have cried and called out to God and told him that I couldn't handle it anymore. In those moments He has come to my rescue. I know he will do the same for you. He loves you Peckaboo.

I know that you are hurt, lonely, and don't understand why your husband is choosing inappropriate content over you. I'm there now. I fasted for 2 weeks because I was so sad and thought that if I was skinnier, had (insert)... Please, Please, don't ever believe the lies that it's because of you or that inappropriate contentography is ok. It's not! The enemy loves it when we believe the lies.

My husband had this addiction long before we were married; your husband may have too but hid it well. I also have a fear of abandonment.

The second time I cried out to God, I've done this a couple of times, since I'm a control freak and couldn't let God have control of everything:) Let it all go.
God is the only one who has the power to change the situation. I was sobbing in my car because I couldn't cry around my husband. I told God I couldn't handle it anymore and if he wanted my marriage to work that he would have to handle it because I couldn't. That's all God wanted to hear; he wanted me to give up the control to Him. God is the only one who can fix your husband believe me I've tried to fix mine. As much as I want the inappropriate contentography and lying to stop only God can create a new heart in my husband. I've been told that since my husband isn't a Christian that it will be even more difficult and harder to face. As I turned to God by reading the Word, the Holy Spirit led me to the verse where husband and wife become one flesh. Well, if we are one flesh then God can certainly work on my husband through me I just need to pray. I've learned though (albeit hard) that God doesn't need me to work on my husband, or work through me to reach my husband. God is amazing! He can do anything, change anyone; we just have to give over the control, believe that it has been done, and get out of His way. I'm really trying hard to get out of God's way I struggle with it because I'm stubborn and controlling so it has been really hard for me. I still pray for my husband everyday that his temptation to inappropriate contentography and lust would not overwhelm him and that if he makes a mistake he would be completely upfront and honest with me, but ultimately it's up to God and it is up to him. Prayer is powerful. The days when I don't pray I see him struggle. I see myself struggle.

My husband was also adamant that he could handle it himself. Prior to the car incident I found out that he lied to me about looking; I gave him every opportunity to tell the truth and he still lied. The second time I cried in my car was after I had caught him in a yet another lie. I was so tired of dealing with the lies and my feelings of unworthiness and insecurity because I felt like my husband didn't care and that it was never going to change. That night he asked me what was wrong, and I said I didn't want to talk about it and I was going to bed. That is the complete opposite of what I usually would have done. God helped me that night to be silent and wait on Him to do His job. I'm an enabler, codependent so usually I would beg and plead etc....It was the first time I didn't act like if he left I would die.

Sorry for the novel, I want to encourage you that it can change the first time I felt like I couldn't handle it God worked in my husband and he agreed to go to marriage counseling. The second time he told me he didn't want to hurt me anymore and agreed to get an accountability partner. God is working in my husband in amazing ways he is going to church with me tomorrow. Praise God!

If you don't have the book the power of a praying wife by Stormie O' Martin I would recommend it. I'll send it to you if finances are tight or you can't get it overseas. It has helped a lot along with some of the other Christian websites dealing with inappropriate content addiction. For me marriage counseling has opened a lot of wounds I had built walls around so it hasn't been easy, but it was necessary. I wanted to compromise so many times because I was scared and am still scared to lose him. Going to church, reading my Bible, and attending a woman's Bible study have helped. Philippians 4, and II Timothy 1:7 have been a lifeline for me. Be educated but be careful of the blogs that excuse inappropriate contentography. There have been some that have made me want to throw in the towel. Focus on God first and by doing that you will take care of yourself. God can restore your marriage just look at Cindy Beall and her husband. If you ever need to talk you may contact me anytime. I'm going to pray over you.

Blessings,

Dear Almighty Father,

I pray for Peckaboo during her time of hardship that you would envelop her in your wings of love and protection shielding her heart from the darts of the enemy, and heal her broken heart Lord. I pray that you would show her how you see her Lord. Show her that she is a beautiful, wonderful woman, your precious precious daughter, and that you love her just the way she is. I also pray that you would allow her husband to see her through your eyes Lord and that you would open his eyes Lord to know the pain he is causing Peckaboo. Lord, I ask that you would restore their marriage and make it stronger than Peckaboo could ever dream possible. I also pray for Peckaboo's husband that he would be freed of his addiction, and that you would bring him back as a mighty man of integrity and chastity. Lord, help her husband realize that he cannot fight this battle on his own and put people in their lives that will support them and keep the enemy far from them. I pray in the name of your most Precious Son and our Savior Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0

Daniel56

Feb 5, 2012
✟7,629.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is frightening to post, because the words I type may be wrong.

Since I am a guy, but dont have this problem, I will substitute a problem I do have. I can get frustrated with my wife and yell at her. It is the normal small disagreement, then grows, then I yell. It is not too often, but it is often enough that I went to counselling because my wife wanted to leave.

So, I will substitute my yelling with your hubby's viewing bad material.

As the husband, I know I have a problem. I hope your husband at least will admit there is some 'problem'. Nothing more than that to start: 'yes, wife, I know it is a problem'.

Now Biblically of course you cannot self harm yourself, nor leave your husband. So that is just out of the thinking. If that comes into your mind, you need to pray and immediately KNOW and tell God you know that is not an option. Even say it out loud.

As a husband, here is how I would like my wife to help me. I would like her to forgive me EVERY time and tell me she forgives me. It is ok for her to say 'wow, that really hurt me, and I hope it will stop, but husband, I am your wife and I am gonna forgive you, and that is that'

I think what I type is Biblical and can help. For me, my wife is leaving me. So that is no good. I yelled one time too many. And she never forgave ever, anything, I ever did. So it just filled up. Funny, but I did not yell from September to January. But one yell in four months ended the marriage. And my wife is a very committed Christian. But she just kind of got filled up from the years past.

So, please do not get filled up. Just forgive him (God, I have no idea how hard it may be). But, ha ha, you can even forgive if you dont feel like it. You can choose to forgive... again and again. You can even say to hubby, 'wow, I sure dont FEEL like forgiving, but I am Christian and I should do it'.

Now maybe here is where I become unBiblical. Forgive me if I am wrong. What if hubby does not say 'sorry' or does not admit to any problem. Hmmm, I think you should still forgive - just on your own.

One of the most powerful ways I have learned to overcome habitual problems is to know I am forgiven, by God, when I ask. It seems weird, but I used to beat myself up. Then I could not change. But when I felt forgiven, I could change (pretty slowly, though).

I hope all will go great for you and your husband. And please, I type as man here, I dont think YOUR sexuality is any way connected to the addiction. To be honest, you are so sweet to think 'I will make myself more attractive to him. It is so nice that you are willing to do stuff to help.

I think the best thing you can do is forgive again and again and again.

God (I mean to Him) I sure hope my words are OK. I dont want to hurt the situation!

Upvote 0

peckaboo

Jul 11, 2011
England
✟8,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, thanks for the continued support / prayer / advice. Things have been a little better this week. I came home from the States last Wednesday, and for the first time I wasn't looking forward to going home and seeing him. When he got back from work that evening, he was very loving and affectionate, and we did have sex, but I didn't even get through that without crying. Normally I just bury my face in his shoulder or in the pillow or something if I cry during sex so he doesn't notice, and normally I'm done crying before we're finished, but this time he noticed and was bewildered as to why. I didn't want to bring it up and have a big argument on my first day home so I told him I was just happy to be home.

On Friday I was still feeling pretty down about the whole thing, but I told him at dinner that I really felt convicted that I hadn't responded well to him in the past (which was true), that I've attacked him personally rather than addressing the problem, and that I haven't listened when he's tried to explain what drives him to do this. I told him that I perceive this an attack from Satan on our marriage, and that if either of us allows it to come between us, he's winning. I also told him that God had opened my eyes to that fact that whenever I sin, it causes Him the same hurt and betrayal that I feel when DH uses inappropriate content, and I apologised for having such a self-righteous attitude and leaving so many things uncorrected in my own life while I concentrated on his sin. I'd hoped that this would open up a conversation about the inappropriate content use itself, but it didn't, beyond DH thanking me for apologising. He said it's helpful for him that i take such a strict approach and don't let him "get away with it", but that when I'm really aggressive about it he feels like he's on his own and I'm not willing to support him while he tries to deal with it. I was kind of frustrated that the conversation didn't develop further, but I didn't push it.

After we next had sex, I asked him if having sex with me feels different than looking at inappropriate content, even though the physical processes going on in his body are the same. He wasn't really keen to talk about it, but we did manage to have an open conversation with no raised voices or accusations, so that was good. He still couldn't understand why it affected me, so I told him that the thing that stops me from starting down the road of infidelity when I'm tempted to really flirt with a guy in a bar or something is the knowledge that I gave my sexuality freely and competely to him, so I can't snatch part of it back and give it to someone else, or spend it some selfish little pleasure that I want, because it's not mine; it's his. The reverse is also true; when we got married he gave his sexuality to me of his own free will, and when he looks at inappropriate content, he's snatching some of it back to spend on himself. That's why it affects me. He considered this for a while, then said that he'd never thought of it as part of his sexuality before; he just thought it was an inherent character flaw. But he said when I put it like that he could see why it is my buisness, after all. And he said repeatedly that it makes him feel horrible, and he thinks it's wrong, and he wants to stop.

We still didn't establish anything like whether we were going to put filters on the other computers / mobile devices, or set up an accountability partner for him, but at least we're talking honestly about it. I told him it would help me to be supportive if he also told me some of the times that he resists temptation, rather than just the times he gives in. I think knowing that 90% of the time he does the right thing will help me not to totally flip out over the 10% that he does the wrong thing.

I fully anticipate that he will slip up again in this area, and at that point I will insist on more positive action on his part. But I didn't want to go straight in with a list of "demands" or an ultimatum, because my track record is to deal with this in kind of an aggressive way, so I wanted to first establish with him that I'm on his side and that I'll come on this journey with him. The next time we talk about it we can discuss what exactly the 'journey' will look like and what we are and aren't going to bring with us.

Anyway, I apologise for the super-long post! Thank you all again for reading and posting and praying and sharing your own experiences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He said it's helpful for him that i take such a strict approach and don't let him "get away with it", but that when I'm really aggressive about it he feels like he's on his own and I'm not willing to support him while he tries to deal with it.
He's putting you in a really difficult position there, because how do you know when "strictness" turns into "aggression"? Plus - you're not his mom, and I don't think that "strictness" belongs in marriage, y'know? It seems like we should be strict with our kids (where necessary), but with a spouse? I'm not sure about that at all.

Again, it comes down to, imo, he needs an accountability partner.

Probably don't leave it until he slips again to have the conversation, okay? And you are not making "demands". They are suggestions. Neither of you are the boss, or the parent of the other, you are equals, and you can both make suggestions to each other at any time, that are intended to improve the marriage. :)

I hope you enjoyed your time in Texas!

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, thanks for the continued support / prayer / advice. Things have been a little better this week. I came home from the States last Wednesday, and for the first time I wasn't looking forward to going home and seeing him. When he got back from work that evening, he was very loving and affectionate, and we did have sex, but I didn't even get through that without crying. Normally I just bury my face in his shoulder or in the pillow or something if I cry during sex so he doesn't notice, and normally I'm done crying before we're finished, but this time he noticed and was bewildered as to why. I didn't want to bring it up and have a big argument on my first day home so I told him I was just happy to be home.

On Friday I was still feeling pretty down about the whole thing, but I told him at dinner that I really felt convicted that I hadn't responded well to him in the past (which was true), that I've attacked him personally rather than addressing the problem, and that I haven't listened when he's tried to explain what drives him to do this. I told him that I perceive this an attack from Satan on our marriage, and that if either of us allows it to come between us, he's winning. I also told him that God had opened my eyes to that fact that whenever I sin, it causes Him the same hurt and betrayal that I feel when DH uses inappropriate content, and I apologised for having such a self-righteous attitude and leaving so many things uncorrected in my own life while I concentrated on his sin. I'd hoped that this would open up a conversation about the inappropriate content use itself, but it didn't, beyond DH thanking me for apologising. He said it's helpful for him that i take such a strict approach and don't let him "get away with it", but that when I'm really aggressive about it he feels like he's on his own and I'm not willing to support him while he tries to deal with it. I was kind of frustrated that the conversation didn't develop further, but I didn't push it.

After we next had sex, I asked him if having sex with me feels different than looking at inappropriate content, even though the physical processes going on in his body are the same. He wasn't really keen to talk about it, but we did manage to have an open conversation with no raised voices or accusations, so that was good. He still couldn't understand why it affected me, so I told him that the thing that stops me from starting down the road of infidelity when I'm tempted to really flirt with a guy in a bar or something is the knowledge that I gave my sexuality freely and competely to him, so I can't snatch part of it back and give it to someone else, or spend it some selfish little pleasure that I want, because it's not mine; it's his. The reverse is also true; when we got married he gave his sexuality to me of his own free will, and when he looks at inappropriate content, he's snatching some of it back to spend on himself. That's why it affects me. He considered this for a while, then said that he'd never thought of it as part of his sexuality before; he just thought it was an inherent character flaw. But he said when I put it like that he could see why it is my buisness, after all. And he said repeatedly that it makes him feel horrible, and he thinks it's wrong, and he wants to stop.

We still didn't establish anything like whether we were going to put filters on the other computers / mobile devices, or set up an accountability partner for him, but at least we're talking honestly about it. I told him it would help me to be supportive if he also told me some of the times that he resists temptation, rather than just the times he gives in. I think knowing that 90% of the time he does the right thing will help me not to totally flip out over the 10% that he does the wrong thing.

I fully anticipate that he will slip up again in this area, and at that point I will insist on more positive action on his part. But I didn't want to go straight in with a list of "demands" or an ultimatum, because my track record is to deal with this in kind of an aggressive way, so I wanted to first establish with him that I'm on his side and that I'll come on this journey with him. The next time we talk about it we can discuss what exactly the 'journey' will look like and what we are and aren't going to bring with us.

Anyway, I apologise for the super-long post! Thank you all again for reading and posting and praying and sharing your own experiences.

At this point, with his expressed willingness to try to stop, what you describe here is a very healthy approach to the situation. If the trying to stop phase drags on for a long time with no improvement, or he changes tune back to "hey it's not a problem or it's not your business" then a more firm or even ultimatum approach may become necessary, but from what you've described, now is not the time for it.

He absolutely does need an accountability partner other than or in addition to you. From what you've described about how this is affecting you, I would be very much against the idea of you being his main accountability partner. Obviously he needs to be as open and honest and transparent as you need him to be, but in my opinion from what you've described, the level that would work for you is not what's needed in a primary accountability partner.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I told him that I perceive this an attack from Satan on our marriage, and that if either of us allows it to come between us, he's winning. I also told him that God had opened my eyes to that fact that whenever I sin, it causes Him the same hurt and betrayal that I feel when DH uses inappropriate content.

That sounds like you two had a productive conversation. I think the mindset of this being a spiritual attack, and something BOTH of you should be vigilant to make sure it doesn't come between you is an excellent one. I think reminding each other of that is helpful----our enemy STEALS and DESTROYS, and the more your husband realizes he's being stolen from---maybe the more he will be willing to fight it...seeing it properly....hating it. We don't run towards the things we hate.

The fact that you were able to have a discussion (not an argument) like this....where you were able to explain that he's giving away something that belongs to you may be the truth he needed to hear. When we sin, we believe lies. It sounds like that was one of the ones he believed (that it wasn't part of his sexuality---just an inherent character flaw). Maybe that should be zeroed in on....making sure he realizes it's a lie? It really sounds like he's being to see this just how you do....and hating it. That's HUGE, and may just be the turning point.

Bless you, Peckaboo......you are a great ambassador for Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
He still couldn't understand why it affected me, so I told him that the thing that stops me from starting down the road of infidelity when I'm tempted to really flirt with a guy in a bar or something is the knowledge that I gave my sexuality freely and competely to him, so I can't snatch part of it back and give it to someone else, or spend it some selfish little pleasure that I want, because it's not mine; it's his.

Whoa. How does you being "tempted to flirt with a guy in a bar" make him feel? Are you actually in the bar being tempted or are you tempted to go into a bar to flirt with a guy?

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2012
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dearest Peckaboo,

I'm glad that things are a bit better between you and your husband. I understand your frustration that the conversation did not go as far as you wanted. Keep praying. It will happen. Let God do his work:) The best thing you can do right now is pray for your husband, and ask God for everything you need.

Tell your husband sincerely that you understand there will be relapses. You have done some research and his addiction is one of the toughest addictions to have freedom from. (It can be done with God's help. Remember nothing is impossible with God). Tell your husband that you want him to feel safe to talk with you about it, but also explain to him that it hurts you. It would be like you looking at the same thing and saying to him he's not big enough etc...or as your example seeing something you desire, but not acting upon it because you value your husband more.

My husband knows that both the inappropriate contentography and lying hurt, but the lying hurts more. He also knows that I'm very good with computers and can find anything he is hiding. He has agreed to tell me the truth when he messes up and I have said that I will try to understand and lift him up instead of getting angry as long as he keeps trying.

He also will tell me when he is struggling. I would suggest marriage counseling for the both of you. A group counselor can take the pressure off and will teach you how to communicate. Explain to him based on the research you have done that he needs an accountability partner besides yourself. Did you mention that your husband asked you to work on some things through a counselor? If so you may say honey I did this for you would you be willing to go to group counseling with me? Start off with group counseling it will eventually become a stepping off point for individual counseling for him.

Do you have the book "The Power of a Praying Wife" by Stormie OMartian? I know I keep hashing on this point. If you don't have it either let me send you a copy or get it right away. The prayers in it are extremely helpful and I have watched my husband turn from night into day with God's help.

So far when I have prayed to God.

My husband recognized he had a problem.
Took a test which confirmed it.
Is going to marriage counseling with me.
Agreed to get a filter for his computer.
Is looking for an accountability partner to help.
Went to church with me on Sunday.

And came closer than he ever has to taking Jesus Christ as his Savior.

We have much work to do in the future. I still don't trust him, but everyday is getting better.

Stay in faith and pray. Listen to God when he tells you to keep silent or to speak.

Blessings on you both. I keep you in my prayers everyday and night.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dearest Peckaboo,

I'm glad that things are a bit better between you and your husband. I understand your frustration that the conversation did not go as far as you wanted. Keep praying. It will happen. Let God do his work:) The best thing you can do right now is pray for your husband, and ask God for everything you need.

Tell your husband sincerely that you understand there will be relapses. You have done some research and his addiction is one of the toughest addictions to have freedom from. (It can be done with God's help. Remember nothing is impossible with God). Tell your husband that you want him to feel safe to talk with you about it, but also explain to him that it hurts you. It would be like you looking at the same thing and saying to him he's not big enough etc...or as your example seeing something you desire, but not acting upon it because you value your husband more.

My husband knows that both the inappropriate contentography and lying hurt, but the lying hurts more. He also knows that I'm very good with computers and can find anything he is hiding. He has agreed to tell me the truth when he messes up and I have said that I will try to understand and lift him up instead of getting angry as long as he keeps trying.

He also will tell me when he is struggling. I would suggest marriage counseling for the both of you. A group counselor can take the pressure off and will teach you how to communicate. Explain to him based on the research you have done that he needs an accountability partner besides yourself. Did you mention that your husband asked you to work on some things through a counselor? If so you may say honey I did this for you would you be willing to go to group counseling with me? Start off with group counseling it will eventually become a stepping off point for individual counseling for him.

Do you have the book "The Power of a Praying Wife" by Stormie OMartian? I know I keep hashing on this point. If you don't have it either let me send you a copy or get it right away. The prayers in it are extremely helpful and I have watched my husband turn from night into day with God's help.

So far when I have prayed to God.

My husband recognized he had a problem.
Took a test which confirmed it.
Is going to marriage counseling with me.
Agreed to get a filter for his computer.
Is looking for an accountability partner to help.
Went to church with me on Sunday.

And came closer than he ever has to taking Jesus Christ as his Savior.

We have much work to do in the future. I still don't trust him, but everyday is getting better.

Stay in faith and pray. Listen to God when he tells you to keep silent or to speak.

Blessings on you both. I keep you in my prayers everyday and night.

Appologies for a general comment in a thread that's supposed to be about specific help but I can't let this go without comment.

This response is, IMO, exactly correct. It's very Christlike is every possible way. It's almost the complete opposite of what's usually suggested around here. And finally it's pretty much exactly the response my wife had when she found out about my inappropriate content use that is, thanks to God, pretty much completely in the past.

Upvote 0

Agentle

Helping Men Be Set Free
Feb 2, 2012
Australia
Visit site
✟15,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear Peckaboo,
I'm amazed at the helpful comments on this thread. There certainly is much maturity revealed. Peckaboo you are not alone in this situation with your husband. There are, sadly, millions in the same situation around the world today, and sadly again, most do not have a helper Jesus Christ and all that we have in Him. SO I would certainly focus on Him and the solution, not the problem. What do you feel the solution to the problem is? Sit on it with God and wait to hear what He says to you. He will guide you if you let Him. Note though, there are many Christians that really don't want to hear what God is saying to them, because it is not what they want to hear. "What if He tells me to do something that is painful" This could be a holding back factor for you. God wants the best for you Peckaboo and yes your husband too. Listen to what He says.
Also I want to recommend a book titled, "The inappropriate content Trap - The Essential guide..." by Wendy and Larry Maltz. It is an excellent book for both men and women and the last two chapters talk to the couples and what they can do to overcome this inappropriate content problem.
And lastly, we help men with inappropriate content problems here in Australia and Asia through our seminars and our Self Help Manual titled, Empowering Men - To Overcome the Temptation. You can find it if you look up on the internet Save The Source and then the resources page.
I do agree with the others on this thread - your husband needs an accountability person other than you. Pray for him and against the powers of darkness upon him as you stand with God while you are doing this.
God Bless you Peekaoo

Upvote 0
H

hijklmnop

Appologies for a general comment in a thread that's supposed to be about specific help but I can't let this go without comment.

This response is, IMO, exactly correct. It's very Christlike is every possible way. It's almost the complete opposite of what's usually suggested around here. And finally it's pretty much exactly the response my wife had when she found out about my inappropriate content use that is, thanks to God, pretty much completely in the past.

Advice that is different is not necessarily "opposite" or not Christlike. And sometimes it takes more than some think is necessary in order to get this addiction COMPLETELY in the past. And, yes...COMPLETELY...IS possible. It does not need to be a lingering problem that although it has improved is still characterized by "expected" and tolerated relapses here and there. If relapses wouldn't be tolerated with an alcoholic or heroin addict than the same can and should be expected from a sex addict, IMO. Complete freedom IS totally possible and should be the goal. Settling for less is selling everybody short. My counselor once said, "The higher you set your expectations for him the better he'll do." Boy, was she right! The previous years of low expectations paid off with exactly what we expected of my h. Now, I do not expect relapses nor require myself to tolerate them because I know that my h can do far better than that through Christ!...and I believe the same is true of anyone who needs to make a major life change/break the chains of addiction.

Peckaboo, I hope this is the start of a complete change for you guys. :) Don't forget that anything is possible with God, and faith can move mountains.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0