Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More specifically, I'm looking for Bible commentaries whose authors were not heavily influenced by the colonizers. Ancient texts will work, but they're not preferable.

Suggestions?

Note: Speaking of colonialism's influence, I'm including even modern societies which were heavily influenced by it. Put another way: Colonialism should not be in the lineage of the author's upbringing.

Check out The Expositor's Bible Commentary, an excellent 12-volume commentary that interprets the Bible according to its own assumptions and meanings instead of human assumptions and meanings.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,402.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
More specifically, I'm looking for Bible commentaries whose authors were not heavily influenced by the colonizers. Ancient texts will work, but they're not preferable.

Suggestions?

Note: Speaking of colonialism's influence, I'm including even modern societies which were heavily influenced by it. Put another way: Colonialism should not be in the lineage of the author's upbringing.
Ahhh... I see, you don't want white commentators. It might be more productive to ask for a non-western commentary, then you don't seem so prejudice.

Try this list

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You understood correctly. Of course other nations have colonized, but "colonialism" standardly refers to the period you spoke of.

That's the way I understood it. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for?

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Suggestions?

If you are hoping to find an inerrant unbiased commentary, forget it. It is not going to happen, but don't get me wrong, there are some commentaries that do provide helpful insight but as with everything else, always measure the rendering of application of scripture by any commentary you read against the inspired text of the scripture itself and don't judge a work by the author's nationality or lineage. He did not choose the lineage or nation in which he was born. Measure his works against the plain sense meaning of scripture itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Suggestions?

There is no perfect book. Nationalism is prevalent in the Old Testament. There is evidence the Jews allowed slavery to a certain extent. If colonialism corrupted, so did revolutions formed to counter it. Jesus came to serve, but those of the world would rather be served.

One may seek to learn Biblical geography, archaeology and other historical accounts of Biblical times for context. The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus wrote about first century Jewish politics leading up to the 66 - 70 AD war. Eusebius wrote about early church history up to c. 325 AD in his “Ecclesiastical History.” The Jews wrote about their thoughts and practices regarding the Torah (first five books of the Bible) law in their volumes of Talmudic commentary. These commentaries date back to the first century. The Talmud is tainted with corruption.

As Acts 15 described it, Gentiles are not required to obey the entire law. Jesus emphasized we should not murder, commit adultery, steal or bear false witness. As the law required loving one’s neighbor as oneself and to obey God with all one’s mind and bodily strength, part of the law is valid. Jesus emphasized mercy and truth. The law emphasized punishment. Angry people wanted revenge. Jesus advised forgiveness and turning the other cheek.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Suggestions?

This might interest you:

The Africa Bible Commentary
https://www.amazon.com/Africa-Bible.../ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Reactions: blackhole
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackhole

Apr 5, 2019
South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: HatGuy
Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Suggestions?

If I remember right - fourteen hundred and ninety two Columbus sailed the ocean blue... so, just pick anything off these lists before that.
List of biblical commentaries - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟702,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Critical race theory ≠ non-Western views
Agreed. I was posting in another forum about this subject and read into the posting more than I should have. I retract the question.

Reactions: HatGuy
Upvote 0