• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Suffering

Discussion in 'Daily Devotionals' started by Bob Wille, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Bob Wille

Bob Wille Well-Known Member

+961
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time
    are not worth comparing with the glory
    that is going to be revealed to us
    .”
    Romans 8:18

Funny how it is okay to blame God
    for evil and suffering in the world,
    but it is not necessary to thank Him
    for what is good and pleasant.
    [Unknown]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. TheWhat?

TheWhat? Ate all the treats

+521
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    You know, I was just thinking about this very thing today. I was just about to take a bite into my sandwich at lunch when saying grace came to mind, and with all the talk going on here about persecution and such, I had to stop and ask myself "does God want me to suffer, or to be thankful for this meal?" Honestly, at that moment it seemed completely contradictory.

3. returntosender

returntosender EL ROI Supporter

+2,508
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    I love to see posts showing Christian's love for God

4. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+43,080
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Hi Bob, are we not also commanded to thank Him for EVERYTHING, including the things that do ~not~ seem/feel good to us (at least in the moment anyway), trusting that His great promise to us, that He will cause ALL THINGS to work together for our good .. Romans 8:28 (whether what is happening to us seems good or bad to us in the moment), will actually come true?

Here are some other Scriptures that come to mind.

Proverbs 3
    5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    And do not lean on your own understanding.
    6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
    And He will make your paths straight.

1 Thessalonians 5
    16 Rejoice always;
    17 pray without ceasing;
    18 ~in everything~ give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 12
    7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
    8 But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.
    9 Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?
    10 For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us ~for our good~, so that we may share His holiness.
    11 All discipline seems painful rather than pleasant at the time; yet afterwards, for those who have been trained by it, it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

Or as Missionary Elisabeth Elliot once said,

Our vision is so limited that we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering.... The love of God did not protect His own Son.... He will not necessarily protect us - not from anything that it takes to make us like His Son. A lot of hammering and chiseling and purifying by fire will have to go into the process.

God bless you!

--David
    p.s. - finally, here is one of my favorite quotes and points of view about suffering from Pastor Charles H. Spurgeon.

[​IMG]

We know that God causes all things to work together
    for good to those who love God, to those who
    are called according to His purpose.

Romans 8:28

5. Sarah G

Sarah G Human bean. Supporter

+1,112
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Married
    Suffering is mercy, it brings us closer to God. It's not always easy to be thankful for suffering at the time but in retrospect it often is.
    We should be thankful for everything, including difficulties and suffering.

6. rocknanchor

rocknanchor Continue Well 2 John 9 Supporter

+7,435
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Tis good as some mention 'difficulties'. Yes, some Christians endure oppression and persecution on-end, but all will taste of it as the scriptures declare. But what of difficulties, difficulties of not only loving an enemy, but distancing oneself from personal bias? For instance, when two are joined to become one and each have children of their own, indeed, sometimes this is an unpleasant discipline to love them all equally, but by God, there is a harmonious blend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Bob Wille

+961
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks for your post, "returntosender". What an appropriate name: "
    "By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."
    Genesis 3:19 (NIV)

8. returntosender

returntosender EL ROI Supporter

+2,508
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    Not a good day for this. not a goodness and light day for me.
    I always wonder if I am the only one that doesn't think our "pain and suffering brings us closer to God"? I know it's the good thing to say but as time goes on and trials increase I get farther away. I don't stop loving him but I surely don't thank him for it.
    God bless those that can view suffering that way.

9. Bob Wille

+961
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."
    Romans 8:18 (NIV)

10. TheWhat?

TheWhat? Ate all the treats

+521
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Sorry to hear. I think suffering can bring us closer to Christ, but yeah, not always. There are times when we have to seek God to lessen our suffering.

I always keep in mind examples such as Naomi or, especially, Hannah. Naomi suffered, unfortunately, from the will of God for going into a pagan nation with her family, but she was not punished when she returned. She was helped. Hannah also sought God, and she was not reprimanded for seeking to escape her suffering, she was rewarded with a son.

James says something similar:

[Heb 11:6 NKJV] 6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [Him], for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and [that] He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Of course that doesn't mean we're guaranteed the answer we prefer, although it's enough to keep the door to hope open just a crack. At least it can help to know that it's just the brokenness of the world, of nature, that we suffer in some cases and not because God directly wills our suffering.

We christians who are so quick to raise the bar and push others toward suffering might get it, eventually, even if we have to first be broken to come to that realization.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Bob Wille

+961
    United States
    Christian
    Married

12. Bob Wille

+961
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thank you for your well-thought-out response. Very much appreciated.