Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may have heard that women should submit.
That is not in all things. That has only to do with
how a man should prioritize God first, and then
his wife next. She must submit, not to her
husband's will, but to his decision
to put God first over her. When he does this
she should honor it. If he fails to put God
first, she is not obligated to that choice of his.

For example, if he is an abuser, she does not
need to honor that decision of his.

And above all else, treat others well as you
would wish to be treated.

What is a good Godly woman? Do you have a
problem with women teaching?
Take this woman's teachings, found in scripture:
Proverbs 31 NASB

If "a woman's place is in the home", then these
passages will clarify that role for you, according
to scripture, that is. Though if she is running a
manufacturing business, as well as a real estate
business developing property, she likely will be
delegating some of the cooking tasks to personal
assistants, just as the text describes.

Last edited:

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You may have heard that women should submit.
That is not in all things. That has only to do with
how a man should prioritize God first, and then
his wife next. She must submit, not to her
husband's will, but to his decision
to put God first over her. When he does this
she should honor it. If he fails to put God
first, she is not obligated to that choice of his.

For example, if he is an abuser, she does not
need to honor that decision of his.

And above all else, treat others well as you
would wish to be treated.

What is a good Godly woman? Do you have a
problem with women teaching?
Take this woman's teachings, found in scripture:
Proverbs 31 NASB

One of my fav'rite chapters. It's God's very own description of a Godly woman. What most stands out for me is how she is an absolute blessing to her husband (and every one around her) and that she means him good all the days of his life. What also stands out is the verse that says that her children and her husband will rise up and call her bless-ed.

That's a "standing ovation" brother.

God really IS the epitome of balance and wisdom, isn't He?

:)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of my fav'rite chapters. It's God's very own description of a Godly woman. What most stands out for me is how she is an absolute blessing to her husband (and every one around her) and that she means him good all the days of his life. What also stands out is the verse that says that her children and her husband will rise up and call her bless-ed.

That's a "standing ovation" brother.

God really IS the epitome of balance and wisdom, isn't He?

Those are wonderful things to see. I also considered what she did that caused her husband, her mother-in-law, her children, and others to respect and love her. What was this wise woman engaged in, what did her wise husband not only allow her to do but it appears encouraged her to do.
I think all Christian husbands, wives, and mother-in-laws should study this proverb and more preachers should preach it.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Those are wonderful things to see. I also considered what she did that caused her husband, her mother-in-law, her children, and others to respect and love her. What was this wise woman engaged in, what did her wise husband not only allow her to do but it appears encouraged her to do.
I think all Christian husbands, wives, and mother-in-laws should study this proverb and more preachers should preach it.

It's a delightful read, and part of the delightfulness is, that she was a "business woman" and was she able to excel with the best of them.

In addition, there is a bottom line on the kind of heart she had, and verses 20 and 26 describe it.

I agree it should be studied and preached more.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
not sure where the manufacturing business and real estate thing comes from, but she does do things that bring in money for the household.

13She looks for wool and flax (in the marketplace)
And works with her hands in delight.
14She is like merchant ships;
She brings her food from afar. (from the marketplace or other cities)

16 She considers a field and buys it; (Real estate investing)
From her earnings she plants a vineyard. (Wine Business Development)

24She makes linen garments and sells them,
And supplies belts to the tradesmen.
( An additional clothing manufacturing and sales organisation)

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
13She looks for wool and flax (in the marketplace)
And works with her hands in delight.
14She is like merchant ships;
She brings her food from afar. (from the marketplace or other cities)

16 She considers a field and buys it; (Real estate investing)
From her earnings she plants a vineyard. (Wine Business Development)

24She makes linen garments and sells them,
And supplies belts to the tradesmen.
( An additional clothing manufacturing and sales organisation)

yeah, I've seen people spin these verses into female fortune 500 CEO. this would work if we interpret these passages separate from the rest of scripture. considering these verse with the entirety of scripture, this is a woman who had a lucrative hobby as a clothing designer, something that can be done at home in her spare time between tending to her duties as a wife and mother.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
yeah, I've seen people spin these verses into female fortune 500 CEO. this would work if we interpret these passages separate from the rest of scripture. considering these verse with the entirety of scripture, this is a woman who had a lucrative hobby as a clothing designer, something that can be done at home in her spare time between tending to her duties as a wife and mother.

Hmmmmmm. i don't thinks she had much time for "hobbies", my friend. She was seriously using her wisdom and skills to meet not only her family's needs, but her entire household. She is a fer-real help-meet for her husband, and a solid blessing to him. What is really intriguing is their relationship.

It's an intriguing chapter.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hmmmmmm. i don't thinks she had much time for "hobbies", my friend. She was seriously using her wisdom and skills to meet not only her family's needs, but her entire household. She is a fer-real help-meet for her husband, and a solid blessing to him. What is really intriguing is their relationship.

It's an intriguing chapter.

it's possible to use the spare time you have after your responsibilities are completed to do something productive with that time. for this particular woman, she used that time to participate in something that she had a talent in that made her money.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
it's possible to use the spare time you have after your responsibilities are completed to do something productive with that time. for this particular woman, she used that time to participate in something that she had a talent in that made her money.

In that time and age, and from the verses on it, it doesn't sound like she had "spare" time.

15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.

18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In that time and age, and from the verses on it, it doesn't sound like she had "spare" time.

15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.

18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

she spent all her time doing something productive and didn't waste time in being the keeper and manager of the home she was called to be.

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
she spent all her time doing something productive and didn't waste time in being the keeper and manager of the home she was called to be.

LOL! You lost me my friend. In reading the entire chapter she ensured her family's needs were taken care of and in addition ministered to the poor and needy. She got up before dawn to do this, and she stayed up, working by candlelight, to diligently do what was needed.

What i get from this is that she LOVED her family, and she, being honorable, also brought honor to her husband. She was well known and well loved by the community because she did good.

i just really love this chapter and how God Himself describes a Godly woman.

26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

All of this ties in to what this verse means:

"Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord." ~Proverbs 18:22

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
LOL! You lost me my friend. In reading the entire chapter she ensured her family's needs were taken care of and in addition ministered to the poor and needy. She got up before dawn to do this, and she stayed up, working by candlelight, to diligently do what was needed.

and you feel this equals her having a career outside the home?

would it be your position that a woman who cooks, cleans, makes clothing, houses strangers, cares for children, all things that can be done without being employed at a job is not being productive, not worthy of being loved by her family or honored by her community, or wouldn't require an entire day?

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
and you feel this equals her having a career outside the home?

would it be your position that a woman who cooks, cleans, makes clothing, houses strangers, cares for children, all things that can be done without being employed at a job is not being productive, not worthy of being loved by her family or honored by her community, or wouldn't require an entire day?

Of course not. I fear you have possibly misunderstood me my friend. I was emphasizing God's description of a Godly woman. What is most profound for me is her kindness and compassion. She is such a blessing that her husband and children will rise up and call her bless-ed.

It's a wunnerful study. It's one of my favorites.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That would assume a woman had children and a husband
and took care of them well, as this passage states.
Your criticism of scripture is unfounded. Consider that the
NT writers did not cover the teachings of Proverbs, written
200 -500 years earlier, as well as they could have.

Consider the the NT writers existed under the knowledge and
background of Proverbs before they added their bits of wisdom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That would assume a woman had children and a husband
and took care of them well, as this passage states.
Your criticism of scripture is unfounded. Consider that the
NT writers did not cover the teachings of Proverbs, written
200 -500 years earlier, as well as they could have.
Different expectations for single women..

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There is no evidence that her home was anything less than efficient and well lived.

Upvote 0