Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think this situation needs to be explained, but I've noticed one thing, it's more important than the gays, abortion, and masturbation. Why isn't more effort being made to stop what's going on over there?

How do people reconcile spending their days fighting to stop men kissing when there are men killing entire villages?

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I think you are both right.

What jars my preserves is that this is a situation where the UN could actually do some good, but just like Rwanda, the UN is going to wait until there's no one left to kill before they object. :(

Upvote 0

SorensScapegoat

May 11, 2005
✟370.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
The same way we drive SUV's, by not thinking about it. There probably are some legitimate concerns about the implications of sending in the troops to intercede in what amounts to a civil war. Further, do you know how to fix it? Seriously, some how an entire group of people got it into their heads that killing another entire group of people is the right thing to do. How do you convince those people to "just get along?"

Have you ever been to Ireland?

Upvote 0

k9catts

Apr 22, 2005
San Antonio
✟8,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Talkinig about gays, abortion, and masturbation is cheap and requires no action.

However saving lives in the Sudan not only requires Chrisitians to feed and care for them but (heaven forbid) spend our money.

The Gospel according to Capitalism says donate only if it is tax deductible or if a buck can be made on the transaction.

Ninja Turtles said:
I don't think this situation needs to be explained, but I've noticed one thing, it's more important than the gays, abortion, and masturbation. Why isn't more effort being made to stop what's going on over there?

How do people reconcile spending their days fighting to stop men kissing when there are men killing entire villages?

Reactions: Danhalen
Upvote 0

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ninja Turtles said:

Because, short of forceably taking over their country and rebuilding the political infrastructure from the ground up, there's not a whole hell of a lot we can possibly do.

Note: I have In-Laws who were born and raised in the Sudan and some who still live there, so I'm not pulling this opinion entirely out of my nether regions.

I will never never give money to any charity offering to help African nations. They mean the best, but I'd rather not see my money buying a Sudanese politician a nice silk suit while even more of his countrymen starve to death. Charity money DOES NOT get to the people.

Upvote 0

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
newlamb said:

What jars my preserves is that this is a situation where the UN could actually do some good, but just like Rwanda, the UN is going to wait until there's no one left to kill before they object. :(

Heh, the UN just let Zimbabwe join a Human Rights Task Force. I guess it takes one to know one, huh?

Upvote 0

Danhalen

Healing
Feb 13, 2005
Ohio
✟18,099.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
k9catts said:
Talkinig about gays, abortion, and masturbation is cheap and requires no action.

However saving lives in the Sudan not only requires Chrisitians to feed and care for them but (heaven forbid) spend our money.

The Gospel according to Capitalism says donate only if it is tax deductible or if a buck can be made on the transaction.
Exactly.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Spinrad

Apr 19, 2005
✟20,370.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
This is why we should not start wars. As soon as we do the hypocrissy of only liberating certain people becomes obvious and poisonous. And we simply can't police the world. It's not that we don't want to spend the money - as true as that is. It's that we don't have the manpower to do it all and do it right even if we tried. It sickens me to think about.

Upvote 0

Green Man

Feb 4, 2005
Greensboro,NC
✟1,398.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
newlamb said:

The UN is worthless.Like you said,they'll wait until it's too late,and then find some rationale to blame the US for everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Romany

Apr 24, 2005
✟7,999.00
Faith
Christian
Jetgirl said:
I will never never give money to any charity offering to help African nations. They mean the best, but I'd rather not see my money buying a Sudanese politician a nice silk suit while even more of his countrymen starve to death. Charity money DOES NOT get to the people.

Unfortunately true. After the tsunami, in Sri Lanka, before any aid money got to the people, our ministers were buying themselves new cars.
:sigh:
Romany

Upvote 0

Waiting for the Verdict

Mar 20, 2005
Amsterdam, New York
✟17,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
k9catts said:

No offense, but that was a real cheap shot. I'm a liberal Christian and even I realize that the people you are talking about here were at the forefront of wanting help for Sudan. Pat Robertson and his cronies were talking about ending the genocide in Sudan ten years before I ever heard about it from another 'news' source. And, so far as i know, evangelical groups have sent in tons and tons of money into the Sudan.

Now if ya want to argue that their only doing this because the southern Sudanese are Christians, you might have a valid argument. But the rest of your attack is totally unwarranted.

Upvote 0

Danhalen

Healing
Feb 13, 2005
Ohio
✟18,099.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Waiting for the Verdict said:
No offense, but that was a real cheap shot. I'm a liberal Christian and even I realize that the people you are talking about here were at the forefront of wanting help for Sudan. Pat Robertson and his cronies were talking about ending the genocide in Sudan ten years before I ever heard about it from another 'news' source. And, so far as i know, evangelical groups have sent in tons and tons of money into the Sudan.

Now if ya want to argue that their only doing this because the southern Sudanese are Christians, you might have a valid argument. But the rest of your attack is totally unwarranted.
I don't think that the response was about people that do send there time, money, and effort. I got the distinct feeling that k9catts was refering to the capitalistic motivation for doing anything. What does the US government have to gain from helping the Sudan? Absolutely nothing material. Good people do good things for the sake of being good. Government will do good things for the (monetary) gain it can get from said good thing. Our government has demonstrated this many times before. President Clinton tried to do something good in Somalia, but once we got in, it was too high a price for a no return transaction, so we left. The point is, government will not send troops to die for a cause that has no reward for the trouble. So instead of doing something about the strife in Sudan, our (current) government has decided to repay the favor to the evangelicals that elected it.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think the UN has done much to help the situation in Sudan, like having them chair the human rights comission and form many committees who hold meetings to figure out what to do. Sometimes they even get close to passing a resolution.

As shown by the exemplary job done in the Balkans, I believe the UN will be able to address this situation in an appropriate and timely manner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ninja Turtles said:

I agree with you, and I have agree'd with as much since I met a Sudanese boy that was my age back in 1997 and head about what was going on. That is why you will often find me in the Politics forum advocating the policies of the Republicans who take comprehensive action against tyrants and dictators.

We should destroy the Janjaweed, and we should destroy the ideological base behind it. Until that is done, there will be no peac ein Sudan or Uganda or other regions similar to it, being that the violence is based on a heritage of violence. There is no quick 'peaceful' solution.

Bring back the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.

Upvote 0

Ledifni

Dec 15, 2004
✟4,590.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ninja Turtles said:

Because men are kissing each other where we can see them. At least the Sudanese have the common decency to kill each other out of sight and out of mind.

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is everyone aware the Sudan situation is a religious war? As we have seen in Iraq, Israel, Ireland, Serbia, etc, wars between disputing religions are very hard to resolve. The U.S. cannot intervene in Sudan without inciting greater anti-U.S. hostility and attacks by Muslims around the world. The predominant Muslim population is ruling the country and would like to solidify Sudan as a Muslim nation under Muslim law. Those being killed are the inhabitants of Christian villages.

Basil

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
jmverville said:
I agree with you, and I have agree'd with as much since I met a Sudanese boy that was my age back in 1997 and head about what was going on. That is why you will often find me in the Politics forum advocating the policies of the Republicans who take comprehensive action against tyrants and dictators.

We should destroy the Janjaweed, and we should destroy the ideological base behind it. Until that is done, there will be no peac ein Sudan or Uganda or other regions similar to it, being that the violence is based on a heritage of violence. There is no quick 'peaceful' solution.

Bring back the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.
Okay, even though the Republicans of today have nothing to do with Abraham Lincoln, and on top of that the Republicans aren't about taking comprehensive action against tyrants and dictators because why would they get mad at Clinton for going into Kosovo? To say that any party has a great stance against tyrants is ridiculous, especially since they are sending prisoners to Syria and Uzbekistan to get tortured. They are only against the "tyrants" that are not their friends.

Upvote 0

Ledifni

Dec 15, 2004
✟4,590.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
vanshan said:
Is everyone aware the Sudan situation is a religious war? As we have seen in Iraq, Israel, Ireland, Serbia, etc, wars between disputing religions are very hard to resolve. The U.S. cannot intervene in Sudan without inciting greater anti-U.S. hostility and attacks by Muslims around the world. The predominant Muslim population is ruling the country and would like to solidify Sudan as a Muslim nation under Muslim law. Those being killed are the inhabitants of Christian villages.

Basil

Granted. However, the point is that an inordinate effort is going into "proving" that gay people are perverted and should therefore be denied their rights. Rather than destroying millions of innocent people in America, what if those same people put their time and money into promoting the campaigns of world leaders and UN officials who will work towards globalization and peace? That way, instead of wreaking vicious havoc on the lives of those who only want to live in peace with their neighbors, these holy Christians could actually be improving the lives of others.

Upvote 0