• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Substitutions

Garnet2727

Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Since I quit drinking, I've found that I'm substituting other beverages. I was a beer drinker and I find that I still MUST have something carbonated in the evenings. Caffiene free, sugar free Fresca is my new friend. I drink about two-liters a night. :eek:

I'm also drinking at least two cups of hot tea. (Bigelow Lemon Lift or Plantation Mint.)

Ah well. It doesn't get me drunk and it's bound to be better for my liver. Anyone else substitute? Have any thoughts about it?

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Since I quit drinking, I've found that I'm substituting other beverages. I was a beer drinker and I find that I still MUST have something carbonated in the evenings. Caffiene free, sugar free Fresca is my new friend. I drink about two-liters a night. :eek:

I'm also drinking at least two cups of hot tea. (Bigelow Lemon Lift or Plantation Mint.)

Ah well. It doesn't get me drunk and it's bound to be better for my liver. Anyone else substitute? Have any thoughts about it?

Since we are creatures of habit, one habit I had was after work I would reach into the fridge and grab a beer to start the night out (as in every night then). Some things I had to change, some I altered, etc.

BUT the fridge is right there and cant change that so what I did was where I use to keep my beer - I have diet squirt or some other diet soda (for both weight and am type 2 diabetic) as well as sun tea I make here at home. So that habit of reaching into the fridge is still there but what I grab is different.

the 2 liter bottles of soda (I would go thru a 2 liter bottle a night too) gets expensive after a while so I drink the ice tea for the first couple hours then switch to teh diet soda. cuts my soda bill way down.

out here in CA, we have whats called a Dollar Tree store - all things fro a buck or less - I can get boxes of bagged tea 100 count for a dollar each. pretty cheap.

But, like you, I HAVE to have something to drink, preferably soda or tea with splenda.

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Norm *huggles*

I read your post to hubby (hope you don't mind!) And he said, "See! Quit fretting." *chuckle* Pop is expensive...but a lot less than the $10 bucks (or more) a night I was paying for beer.

I grew up in Arizona so I've always had to had something to drink every waking hour. Heck, I even have a glass of water by my bed at night and it's usually empty in the morning. I'm always thirsty. (yes, been tested for diabetes as recently as last month...blood sugar is a-ok)

As for tea, I find now that I really savour those hot cups. Particularly here in Michigan where it's getting colder. Another advantage of not being wasted every night. Food and beverages actually have flavour.

Now...if I could just quit smoking....

But one day...and one addiction at a time.

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
LoL ! I dont mind yer hubby reading - tell him hello.

I went outside a few ago and smoked the last cigaret I had on me. dont plan on going anywhere tomorrow, which means the store so......

if I can get thru the weekend and not buy a pack, might have a chance. although I been down this road more than once. I quit smoking the same day I quit drinking (for me, one went with the other) but after 19 months smoke free, broke down at work with the URGE and bummed a smoke and well, been smoking off and one again since.

But anyhoooos, gonna mosey on and check out the other forums here.

Upvote 0

Alexo

Nov 20, 2006
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Huge amounts of green and herbal tea. Singing, dancing, taking baths, going for walks.

I find the simple pleasures are often enough to ward off the urges.

As someone mentioned, anything that replaces habitual alcohol activities like going to a bar after work...or even during work.

Upvote 0