submission

Ok here is mine:
Submission is really meaning, to me, a help mate. What I mean is that in the case of marrige, when you submit in any form you are helping the one you love. I can take the side of a man, sense I am one or starting to become one, that we want our wives to submit. Unfortunitly the world has made submit to mean be in the kitchen and do laundry, take care of the Castle while the Kings is working and when we come home, submit to his needs, that is not a stereotype, that is the truth.
So when I submit to my wife I expected to be thanked and have that acknowledged by her that I submitted to her needs, now she needs to thank me for it. But when is that last time I thanked her, I really cant remember. We as men need the to have those things pointed out then be patted on the back for them, its just us part of our flesh. Now the men that have "died to themselves" i mean put their wife, and submitted, first is a step ahead of us who are just learning that, and they most likely have God working in them in some fashion, which is a must in a marriage.
When we place God first our actions start to become more and more christlike, as Jesus did He always put people before himself we as men, as spirtual leader of the household, must be christlike in our ways, and submit as Christ has done for us.

Warrior Poets so to speak. I love that pharse because we as men must be that.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am suspicious that the Bible uses submission as an example that would be understood by people within a culture, not as a universal standard of morality we should all adhere to. I don't know for sure; it doesn't seem very important to me either way.

My mother-in-law argues that it is submission "in Christ", meaning, you submit only insofar as your husband is behaving in a Christ-like way.

Upvote 0
I have heard many women/men talk about submission as something that has to be done or you are out of the will of God. Of course, that means submission to a man who is obedient to Christ. I don't think in todays time and age that it means the house has to be cleaned and food cooked by a woman only if she works out of the home, it should be shared. I believe that the man is the leader of the home. There are some men who do not want to step up to the task in these situations so the women usually end up running things. I think this is backwards to some extent. I believe decisions are to be talked about and agreed to by both, but if the Christian man is not in agreement with his wife on certain issues, then he has to make the decision based on what he believes is right. He will be held accountable by God for the leadership of his family. That is of course my point of view. I truly love my husband for the fact that he doesn't wave his authority over me, but allows me my freedoms just as Christ does. It's great to know he's there for me to lean on and for protection from the world around me. sigh.....

Upvote 0

onecrazycowgirl

Riding for Him
Mar 19, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟3,342.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 03:02 PM Mr.Cheese said this in Post #5

...is a two way street. Marriage is a partnership. It was never meant to be a dictatorship.

Holly's a lucky girl, Cheese :D

I'm probably way to young to be posting in here, but I saw this thread, and my opinionatedness just came over me ;)

I belive that in marriage the wife is required to submit to her husband, but like cheese said it's a two-way street.  The husband is to love her as Christ loves the church - even to the point of being willing to die for her.  In the dictionary submit is defined as  "yielding  without murmuring" or "give up resistance; to surrender" or "To give in to the authority, power, or desires of another".  Some synonyms are yield, relent, bow, defer, capitulate, succumb and surrender. 

Submitting entails obeying, but it's not just obedience.  Obedience is in respect to an authority, where submission is surrendering yourself to an equal, which makes it psychologically more difficult, or so I've heard :D

Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
submission can only be done by an equal otherwise it is obedience.  Husband and wife are equal but the women is to submit.  This means that because the husband is responsible before God for his family that when push comes to shove the husband gets the final say.  This does not mean that he does not listen to his wife or take her ideas and thoughts into consideration, or that the wife is a doormat, but when the rubber meets the road the husband has the final say.  When the husband does make a mistake, part of submission is the women should not have an attitude of "I told you so"

However - it does not mean that if he is causing pain ie. abuse - or is going to ruin the family financially you sit back and do nothing.

Upvote 0

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
20th February 2003 at 06:36 PM FaithtoFaith said this in Post #4 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=665945#post665945)

I have heard many women/men talk about submission as something that has to be done or you are out of the will of God. Of course, that means submission to a man who is obedient to Christ. I don't think in todays time and age that it means the house has to be cleaned and food cooked by a woman only if she works out of the home, it should be shared. I believe that the man is the leader of the home. There are some men who do not want to step up to the task in these situations so the women usually end up running things. I think this is backwards to some extent. I believe decisions are to be talked about and agreed to by both, but if the Christian man is not in agreement with his wife on certain issues, then he has to make the decision based on what he believes is right. He will be held accountable by God for the leadership of his family. That is of course my point of view. I truly love my husband for the fact that he doesn't wave his authority over me, but allows me my freedoms just as Christ does. It's great to know he's there for me to lean on and for protection from the world around me. sigh.....

Amen FaithtoFaith.............

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums