✟8,589.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Admins etc:
Is it possible to get a sub-forum on Fundamentalist Forum for people to ask questions or debate? Currently it is against forum rules for non fundamentalists to teach or debate on the Fundamentalist Forum. Of course this is largely being ignored. Would it be possible to initiate a sub-forum for all such discussions and leave the main forum as the safe-haven it is intended to be?

I know sometimes I'm a pain in the neck about this but you can surely bet that if we were to go over to OBOB and start teaching we would be booted in a heartbeat.

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hey John! Nice to see you!

I'm not staff but I think I can answer this one. There used to be a debate subforum here. It was used by a few (mostly a certain Catholic member who seems to have made it his mission to "convert" us heathen Fundies). There was also an ask subforum that was about as useful. In the end they really didn't work very well. A lot of people who used them did so to essentially attack funamentalists, not to have honest discussion. At that point the forum was about as quiet as it is now. So the few fundamentalist members who still come here eventually just ignored the subforums. I agree it would be nice if there was some control on what gets posted here. It's not a forum for fundamentalists anymore, that's for sure. But I really don't see how we can fix that. The regulars have mostly left now, so there just aren't enough of us left to make a difference.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose some of us are not clear about the practice of fundamentalism. For me it means those who hold to the Word (God's fundamentals) without innovations, additions, and deletions, but that would rule out all denoms., religious organizations, and various sects, so not much is left. There are very few Christian gatherings in the world today that hold to scripture only, exccept the brethren movement from circa 1800. Most of those saints do not post here.

Those of us who value fundamentalism in purity can just share our views on various parts of CF, I think. That, of course, should always avoid being rude, argumentive, and offensive, which is not Christ-like. We can always share views in a Godly manner, but should learn to not respond to attempts to argue, right?

- 1 Watchman

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I suppose some of us are not clear about the practice of fundamentalism. For me it means those who hold to the Word (God's fundamentals) without innovations, additions, and deletions, but that would rule out all denoms., religious organizations, and various sects, so not much is left. There are very few Christian gatherings in the world today that hold to scripture only, exccept the brethren movement from circa 1800. Most of those saints do not post here.

Those of us who value fundamentalism in purity can just share our views on various parts of CF, I think. That, of course, should always avoid being rude, argumentive, and offensive, which is not Christ-like. We can always share views in a Godly manner, but should learn to not respond to attempts to argue, right?

- 1 Watchman

Well yes, certainly don't "feed the trolls". There are occasionally people who come here with honest questions and a desire for a real discussion. Then it's great. I'd love to see more of it, in fact. However, they are not nearly as common as those who come just to ridicule, so it is not really worth coming here so often these days. Too bad because this forum used to be a wonderful place, even with some of the spicier debates that went on from time to time.

I agree those from the Brethren tradition don't come here - or at least not that I've seen. There used to be some from Independent Fundamentalist Baptist churches, but they largely left around the 7/7/7 debacle.

I don't think it's fair to say that fundamentalism is Scripture without tradition. It is really more that Scripture, as it is of course the word of God, is our ultimate authority, and defines whether a tradition is glorifying to Christ or something we should do away with. We all have our traditions and it's naive to think otherwise, IMHO.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know that the term "Fundamentalist" conjures up all kinds of wild thoughts for many, but there is nothing wild or controversial about being a "Fundamentalist". If one reads the Statement Of Faith here, there would be many Christians fitting the description. However, some might not want to be known as a "Fundamentalist" because of the stigma associated with this term. I must add that the stigma is inaccurate and unfair. Regardless, the term makes us a target for all kinds of wild thoughts.

Read the below and see what you think. Are you a :Fundamentalist"?

The "Five Solas" are commonly associated with Fundamentalist Christianity.

1 - Sola Scriptura: The Scripture Alone is the Standard

Psalms 138:2 KJV I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

2 Timothy 3:14-17 KJV But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 - Soli Deo Gloria! For the Glory of God Alone

1 Corinthians 10:31 KJV 31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Peter 4:11 KJV If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Revelation 1:6 KJV And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 3:21 KJV Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Revelation 7:12 KJV Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

Romans 11:36 KJV For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

1 Chronicles 16:23-31 KJV 23 Sing unto the LORD, all the earth; shew forth from day to day his salvation. 24 Declare his glory among the heathen; his marvellous works among all nations. 25 For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised: he also is to be feared above all gods. 26 For all the gods of the people are idols: but the LORD made the heavens. 27 Glory and honour are in his presence; strength and gladness are in his place. 28 Give unto the LORD, ye kindreds of the people, give unto the LORD glory and strength. 29 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. 30 Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved. 31 Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice: and let men say among the nations, The LORD reigneth.

3 - Solo Christo! By Christ's Work Alone are We Saved

1 Timothy 2:5-6 KJV For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Colossians 1:13-18 KJV Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Acts 4:12 KJV Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

4 - Sola Gratia: Salvation by Grace Alone

Ephesians 1:6-8 KJV To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

Ephesians 2:8-10 KJV For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Titus 3:4-7 KJV But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Romans 5:15 KJV But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

5 - Sola Fide: Justification by Faith Alone

Galatians 3:6-11 KJV Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. 10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 5:1-2 KJV Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

WE BELIEVE

A FUNDAMENTALIST IS A BORN-AGAIN BELIEVER IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST WHO:

1. Maintains an immovable allegiance to the inerrant, infallible, and verbally inspired Bible;
2. Believes that whatever the Bible says is so;
3. Judges all things by the Bible and is judged only by the Bible;
4. Affirms the foundational truths of the historic Christian Faith:
* The doctrine of the Trinity,
* The incarnation, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection and glorious ascension, and Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ,
* The new birth through regeneration by the Holy Spirit,
* The resurrection of the saints to life eternal,
* The resurrection of the ungodly to final judgment and eternal death,
* The fellowship of the saints, who are the body of Christ;
5. Practices fidelity to that Faith and endeavors to preach it to every creature;
6. Exposes and separates from all ecclesiastical denial of that Faith, compromise with error, and apostasy from the Truth; and
7. Earnestly contends for the Faith once delivered.

The Committee on the Definition of Fundamentalism

Bob Jones III
Jack P. Manly
Ian R.K. Paisley
David D. Yearick

Fundamentalist Christian Statement of Faith:

A Fundamentalist Christian is a born again believer in Lord Jesus Christ who:

1. Maintains an immovable allegiance to the inerrant, infallible, and verbally Inspired Bible;
2. Believes whatever the Bible says is so;
3. Judges all things by the Bible, and is judged only by the Bible, aka - "Sola Scriptura";
4. Affirms the foundational truths of the historic Christian Faith:

a. The doctrine of the Trinity
b. The incarnation, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection, ascension into Heaven, and Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ
c. The new birth through regeneration of the Holy Spirit
d. The resurrection of saints to life eternal
e. The resurrection of the ungodly to final judgment and eternal death
f. The fellowship of the saints, who are the body of Christ;

5. Practices fidelity to that faith, and endeavors to preach it to every creature;
6. Exposes and separates from all ecclesiastical denial of that Faith, compromise with error, and apostasy from the Truth; and
7. Earnestly contends for the Faith once delivered.
8. Therefore, Fundamentalism is a militant orthodoxy with a soulwinning zeal. While Fundamentalists may differ on certain interpretations of Scripture, we join in unity of heart and common purpose for the defense of the Faith and the preaching of the Gospel, without compromise or division.

Thus a Fundamentalist can be from quite a few Protestant denominations, even nondenominational. Those that defer to a view that sacred tradition is equal to scripture (not sola scriptura) would not. For more information, see Fundamentalism. This link was quoted above.

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Admins etc:
Is it possible to get a sub-forum on Fundamentalist Forum for people to ask questions or debate? Currently it is against forum rules for non fundamentalists to teach or debate on the Fundamentalist Forum. Of course this is largely being ignored. Would it be possible to initiate a sub-forum for all such discussions and leave the main forum as the safe-haven it is intended to be?

I know sometimes I'm a pain in the neck about this but you can surely bet that if we were to go over to OBOB and start teaching we would be booted in a heartbeat.

Hi brother, long time no see.

Let me answer this.

You remember I was on staff for about 3 years. The thing is, des is right.

It was not used as it was intended.

One certain member of the OBOB came here and thought not only was it his mission to convert us heathens, but to attack each and every thing we believed.

I guess I answered and debated there more than anyone else.

This area (Fundies) was under constant attack. Not as bad as other areas, but it was a handful.

THe areas (Ask a Fundy, and Debate a Fundy) were being abused.

That is one of the primary reasons it has gone, and two, it generated a lot of reports.

They might bring it back, but I doubt it.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

FundamentalistJohn

Feb 23, 2008
✟8,589.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's great to hear from you all again. The problem it seems we are having is at least a couple posters who seem to have decided simply to ignore the rule that states they may not teach here. At least a couple of current threads are debates in which this is taking place. I was hoping to return and simply share with my Fundy friends. If I wanted to defend being a fundy I could go to the Theology forums.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's great to hear from you all again. The problem it seems we are having is at least a couple posters who seem to have decided simply to ignore the rule that states they may not teach here. At least a couple of current threads are debates in which this is taking place. I was hoping to return and simply share with my Fundy friends. If I wanted to defend being a fundy I could go to the Theology forums.

Brother, General Theology is worse!

Much much worse.

It is so bad there, even I don't post in GT but very selectively.

The only area I frequent in GT is Spteriology, and that is getting bad anymore.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Nstott

Nov 6, 2011
✟7,682.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes we should encourage debate. Our mission to the world is to challenge secular, liberal thought that undermines the integrity of the Christian message. We need to be good apologists and therefore a robust debate only helps Christian skills in the market place. Think of Paul going to the market place to debate all of the pagans there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Admins etc:

I agree. I just recently asked the mods/admins about this in the Member Services Center http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=7644000. I think they would be willing to bring it back if us members here would like it back. This place seems like troll city sometimes and it gets frustrating.

Upvote 0