Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, how else will we know God unless we read His word?
It is only through study of the Bible that we can learn what God requires of us and how to please Him. They are the very words of life.
Think of the people who died so that we can have a Bible. Most of all Jesus our Saviour who through dying for us gives us eternal life.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is only through study of the Bible that we can learn what God requires of us and how to please Him. They are the very words of life.
Think of the people who died so that we can have a Bible. Most of all Jesus our Saviour who through dying for us gives us eternal life.
Amen,'heavenhome. Thankyou for your observation

Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lots of reasons...it is alive and powerful, it guides us and teaches us, it corrects us, II Timothy 3:16-17 etc. but maybe the most dramatic reason it that Satan desires to separate us from the word of God. That is one of his schemes for pulling us away from God.

Opps not allowed to post here, sorry...I have a very bad habit of looking for an interesting discussion before checking what board it is posted in.

• Friendly
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Lots of reasons...it is alive and powerful, it guides us and teaches us, it corrects us, II Timothy 3:16-17 etc. but maybe the most dramatic reason it that Satan desires to separate us from the word of God. That is one of his schemes for pulling us away from God.

Opps not allowed to post here, sorry...I have a very bad habit of looking for an interesting discussion before checking what board it is posted in.
Good post. Thankyou,'razzle..'

• Friendly
Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe so,'Raymond'
So if you had a favorite self help book, and then met the author, who told you that they will answer any question you have, and give any guidance you require for as long as you require and are willing to listen.........you would forgo that in lew of just trying to learn from what they wrote in their last book?

Isn't this the same as hearing the voice of the Lord freely, but deciding to read what was written long ago as opposed to listening?

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Written Word of God is the revelation of God to mankind,profitable for doctrine,reproof,,correction,instruction,equipping for maturity and holiness. We hear the voice of God through it and can study and meditate on it. When it becomes part of us by hiding it in our hearts we can live it out through our lives

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, excatly. "Sanctify them through Thy truth; Thy word is truth" (John 17.17). "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119.105).

• Agree
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well, excatly. "Sanctify them through Thy truth; Thy word is truth" (John 17.17). "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119.105).
Loving the Word of God!

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if you had a favorite self help book, and then met the author, who told you that they will answer any question you have, and give any guidance you require for as long as you require and are willing to listen.........you would forgo that in lew of just trying to learn from what they wrote in their last book?

Isn't this the same as hearing the voice of the Lord freely, but deciding to read what was written long ago as opposed to listening?
The Bible is not like a self help book, it is the very Word of God and it is also how we know what we hear is actually from God Himself. He will never say anything that does not agree with or add to it.
Remember what price the reformers payed so that we can have a Bible in our hands so that we can not only know God but that we can test what we are told and whether it be from God or not which Paul praised the Bereans for.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is not like a self help book, it is the very Word of God and it is also how we know what we hear is actually from God Himself. He will never say anything that does not agree with or add to it.
Remember what price the reformers payed so that we can have a Bible in our hands so that we can not only know God but that we can test what we are told and whether it be from God or not which Paul praised the Bereans for.
Psalm 119.89; Psalm 119.105; John 17.17

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You remember the reformer and their price. I'll remember Christ and the Price he Paid on the cross for my sins, so that I can have eternal life and a personal relationship with him. I can use the bible to test your words.....But the words of God himself trumps any writing. When you hear the voice of God, you dont tell him to wait and let me search the good book first so make sure you are who to say you are. If we silence God to read a book, which one is more important? If we wont do what God tells us unless it agrees with the interpretation of words in a book.....which one has more control of our lives?

Im not talking about people who only see or hear God through scriptures....For those.....they have no other options.

Did you believe that I was stating that the Bible was a self help book.....or did you state this for "likes?" If the bible is the only Word of God you hear...by all means it should be very important to you. Without it, you cant hear from God so your words are very understandable and i see nothing wrong with it.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand anything about your last post.
All I wanted to convey was that the Bible is precious as it is Gods living word to us and it also guards us from error such as believing everything we hear and attributing it to God.

Many cults have started by people saying God told them something whereas if they knew their Bible they would know it was not God- and before you say it, no I am not talking about you.
I am sad that you think I post things as you said "for likes" that is so not true and really quite offensive.
I am most grateful of all to Jesus who gave His life for me and any who will come to Him in repentance, it means the world to me. He is my reason for living.
However I am also grateful for those who died so that we could have a Bible and know what God has done and said in it.

When we are with Him we will no longer need it but until then it is what I will continue with the Holy Spirit to read so I can be what He wants me to be and to learn about Him as it says "My ways are not your ways"

To me the Bible is not just a "book" but the very Word of God for all who come to Him in faith and repentance.
I hope I have explained things clearly and am bowing out of this post as I am not into getting personal with people.:wave:

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The letter killeth, but the spirit maketh alive. What is the letter? If any man lack wisdom, Let him ask of God. This is written in the bible.....YEt it does not say, if anyman lack wisdom, read more of the bible. Yet if the notion, that the bible is the god speaking....How does it make sense to ask the bible for wisdom?

Trying to turn this into bible bashing or praising is only a ploy to hide truth. My words said nothing of the importance of the bible, and to say it does, is to try to hide the message.

The following i agree with:
"When we are with Him we will no longer need it but until then it is what I will continue with"

If you cant hear the Word....we have to only Read words....and there is nothing wrong with this....

In the Beginning was the Word.....and this Word was not a book.

But their are many wonderful, life changing truths in the bible....if we understand it and do what it says. God is a Jealous God.....I dont think he will take second to a book. But, I could be wrong....

Upvote 0