Study Material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edjones

Jan 15, 2002
✟1,549.00
Originally posted by StogusMaximus
A new Christian should read the Bible, as it contains all the information you need to know and strengthen your walk with the Lord.

Sometimes the Bible can be confusing, so what other books or resources do you recommend?

A concordance. You can cross-reference verses. and
you can see how the word is used in different places and get the meaning.
Stay away from the Greek and Hebrew.

ed

Strong's for the strong, Young's for the young and Cruden's for the crude. :D

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would suggest going through a class at you church or a study through a book of basics of the Christian faith. These are the things that are what Christianity is all about. Like the Nature of God, Who was Jesus, The Trinity, etc. Learn these primarily first. Know them so well that you will know it when you do not hear it. That is so important.

I hope this post goes along with your post Stogus.

blackhaw6

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
An awesome study aid is clarence Larkin. He has books out that date back to the 1900's that have charts that many bioble insitutes have. One of his best study aids is dispensation truth. He also has more books. I love these because there are charts that really let you see the history of the bible in a nutshell and gives you a visual of what things mean and why they are written. Sure its his perception but you can learn and develop your own perception wthru these books and charts alone.
Good luck to you.
There are sample pages on the web..just put his nameor name of book on a search engine.GEL

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I use the KJV, NKJV, Strong's concordance, Matthew Commentary & Nave's Topic. They are all inner connected on my computer program so I can go through them fast. I can do in two or three hours what use to take 8 to 12 without a computer.

I use to use Vine's dictionary, but not recently. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

edjones

Jan 15, 2002
✟1,549.00
Originally posted by GreenEyedLady
An awesome study aid is clarence Larkin. He has books out that date back to the 1900's that have charts that many bioble insitutes have. One of his best study aids is dispensation truth. He also has more books. I love these because there are charts that really let you see the history of the bible in a nutshell and gives you a visual of what things mean and why they are written. Sure its his perception but you can learn and develop your own perception wthru these books and charts alone.
Good luck to you.
There are sample pages on the web..just put his nameor name of book on a search engine.GEL
amen!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
Originally posted by Didymus
I use Warren Weirsbe s Be series commentaries and the notes from the Life Application Bible. I also ask the Holy Spirit to clarify things for me.

I have those commentaries too. I think he does a good job at clarifying things.
The Holy Spirit helps us understand and that is why I find prayer to be a must for my studying.

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
If there is something I am completely baffled on, I'll look up the verse(s) in question in different translations...seeing if maybe one translation will help me understand it more. I also look in my different study Bibles to see how the verse(s) are explained. And I also have a commentary that I will use if I want even more depth to my reading. :)

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure if this is what you're asking for, but I highly recommend anything by Max Lucado--especially for new believers. He has a way of communicating in simple, common language and everyday examples that make him easy to understand, but still very profound. I've bought and read just about every book he has on the market, and I have yet to be disappointed. And everyone I've lent my copies to has enjoyed them as well.

John Ortberg is very good, too. He tends to be a little more humorous in his writing, which keeps you from feeling 'weighed down'. My wife just finished reading If You Want To Walk On Water, You Have To Step Out Of The Boat. She loved it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.