US-Constitution

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Apparently you can't pray or study the Bible in public school.

Yes, you can.

However Biden wants students to study Islam. What is your take on this?

When I was at Catholic school, we did five years of comparative religion. Islam took up roughly six months. I wish we'd had longer studying it.

I'd encourage more education about Islam in the US. Dramatically more.

If the membership of this website is any indication, the current US education system has done a woefully poor job educating the US populace about Islam - particularly what it is and what it isn't. And, I'd like too see broader education about other religions in general - a la Daniel Dennett's proposals.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apparently you can't pray or study the Bible in public school. However Biden wants students to study Islam. What is your take on this?

https://www.worthynews.com/51625-bi...can-children-to-study-islam-in-public-schools
Biden included Islam as one of the "great confessional faiths" and said, "I wish we taught more in our schools about the Islamic faith. I wish we talked about all the great confessional faiths. It's one of the great confessional faiths."
https://www.worthynews.com/51625-bi...can-children-to-study-islam-in-public-schools

In other words, he'd like more religion taught in schools. In one of my grandson's freshman classes, they studied all of the major world religions, not in-depth but more of an overview. We live in a global society and having a little understanding of all major religions is important.
Sikhs are being mistaken for Muslims because of a lack of knowledge.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's a good video about St. John of Damascus (675-749 A.D.) who wrote about Islam :

Icon of the Mother of God “Of the Three Hands” mentioned @ 22:16

Icon of the Mother of God “Of the Three Hands”

0628threehandedicon01.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟899,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't mind comparative religion myself, however I have a couple caveats: I think it should be 100% fair and honest, not the propagandist versions that we find skew the truth about history and end up glorifying Islam and condemning Christianity...

Plus, I don't think young children can fully grasp comparative religion myself, so it needs to be taught as an optional class that can be opted out of if it doesn't meet parental approval, and no younger than high school seniors should be allowed the course.

Things such as this just aren't fit for younger children to fully comprehend outside of not everyone has the same religion/faith/belief set. Their parents can say that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I thought you could not pray or read the Bible school. I was just posting a news article.
In a public school, a student in the U.S. can bring a Bible to school, read it, study it, and discuss it. That student can also pray. A teacher can teach a class on the history of religion. A teacher can include the Bible in a literature class also. However, a teacher cannot present the Bible to students as authoritative, nor can the teacher advocate for it as an insider (a devotee).

Schools cannot lead prayer, or advocate for a religion. Schools may have student lead Bible and prayer groups. These groups can be sponsored by a teacher--that just means the teacher is responsible for the students attendance and well-being during the activity. Some of this may mildly vary from state to state.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No offense, but I'd need to see it from a source other than "WorthyNews"...these 'selective outrage' cases have been brought up before, and when examining the finer details, almost never hold merit.

The issue is the distinction between promotion and simply "teaching about".

I have no issues with public schools "teaching about" various major religions and their impacts on society.

However, "teaching students about a religion" and "promoting prayer in public school" are two very different things.

Praying conveys "embracing a religion" vs. simply educating people about it.

...but no public school I'm aware of is prohibiting students from praying to the god of their choosing.

Often times, I see cases where people think that "promoting Christian values" is the same as "teaching about another world religion"

I don't know of any school that forbids the teaching of historical aspects of religion like the crusades, inquisition or arab spring.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟202,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Apparently you can't pray or study the Bible in public school. However Biden wants students to study Islam. What is your take on this?

I prayed in school and we held a school approved bible study during our lunch hour. We had to have a teacher volunteer to make sure we were supervised (not drawing on the walls) but the school allowed to use a classroom and in no way interfered. This was in my High School.

What I believe you have heard/read is no one is forced to pray in school and school employees cannot encourage or condone prayer during classroom time. And like Christ recommended, schools recommend/ask prayer be done silently and/or in private.

They cannot prohibit prayer, as one can pray any time, anywhere and no one will/should know you are doing so. They cannot prevent that which they cannot see, hear, or even confirm it is occurring.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The problem with any such movement for teaching Islam in Public schools is that it would be all positive and from an Islamic perspective. Would a Joe Biden educational curriculum on Islam mention the Islamic slave trade? The global Jihad which lead to the conquest of India, Persia, North Africa, Spain, Anatolia, Egypt and the Balkans? Would it teach students about what modern Islamic societies are like and how they treat subjects like Homosexuality and the like? Would they be allowed to say Muhammad consummated a marriage with a nine year old girl?

Almost guarantee you it would a positive curriculum pointing to the achievements of Islamic society while mitigating any criticism of it. How Islamic society advanced while western Europe was in the throes of the "dark ages". Otherwise Muslims wouldn't support the Democrats and this is obviously who Joe is trying to cater to here.

In principle I don't have a problem with teaching about Islam the negatives and positives. Same with Christianity. I just wouldn't trust Joe Biden or any leftist to do Islam or any religion for that matter, justice.

Has Joe Biden advocated teaching of Christian history as passionately? He's supposedly a Catholic right? I mean I think he advocates everything contrary to the Catholic Church so I'm guessing not.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I thought you could not pray or read the Bible school.
To have that thought one must be totally ignorant of the reality of religious rights in US public schools.

Upvote 0