Study: Americans with Christian nationalist views more likely to flout COVID-19 precautions:

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not a science denier at all. My contention is not scientific, but related to your comment that emotions are "irrational" and that people hate "for no reason." The fact that humans have emotions serve very important purposes. Yes, it is chemistry--what isn't in our bodies? The emotional and rational centers in our brains have different functions, but to call the emotional center irrational is fine if you mean that emotions are not based on well reasoned syllogisms--I agree with that. But, you claimed more than that--that those emotions occur for no reason. Thats simply not true. There are good reasons to love and hate other things and people. Even your Bible discusses hate in a positive and rational light. Does it not say that God hates? Of course it does.

I did not say emotions were not trigged by stimuli. I said they were irrational. They can be triggered by things that are totally devoid of reasonable thought. Additionally those that use emotion to decide what to do, or what to think , are usually making a very bad mistake.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I did not say emotions were not trigged by stimuli. I said they were irrational. They can be triggered by things that are totally devoid of reasonable thought. Additionally those that use emotion to decide what to do, or what to think , are usually making a very bad mistake.
No, you said hate is irrational. It is not.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Still waiting for some kind of number of how many of those Christian Nationalists there are.
In order of magnitude roughly the same number as the number of fervent Trump supporters and largely coterminous with that group.

Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This article is from The Christian Post cites this study. It claims that “Christian nationalist ideology tends to make people really distrustful of scientists and science generally...” and that such people are much more likely than other demographics to ignore the scientific recommendations surrounding COVID-19 precautions.

Why do you think this is?

Are there any self identified Christian Nationalists on this forum who would like to explain or refute this claim?

Christianity is a religion, not a nation. Thus, the idea of "Christian nationalism" doesn't make sense. Christ transcends all races, nationalities, and indeed all times.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Christianity is a religion, not a nation. Thus, the idea of "Christian nationalism" doesn't make sense. Christ transcends all races, nationalities, and indeed all times.
I believe this is called “preaching to the choir”.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Something not making sense doesn't stop people from believing in it.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, you said hate is irrational. It is not.

It most certainly is. One does not use reason to decide by weighing the factual information whether to hate someone. One simply hates them because they are emotionally triggered by a person or group.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In order of magnitude roughly the same number as the number of fervent Trump supporters and largely coterminous with that group.

I suspected that would be something like your criterion. How many of those people actually identify as Christian Nationalists?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something not making sense doesn't stop people from believing in it.

That is so true. Look at the people that believe that rioters are peaceful

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I suspected that would be something like your criterion. How many of those people actually identify as Christian Nationalists?
Probably very few actually want an officially established church. But most of them are at least "Christian culturalists" in the sense that I mentioned earlier--that somehow and in some fashion (even if not de jure) the US is, or should be a Christian nation. The evidence is clear: For example, the striving to make Christian sins (such as abortion and gay marriage) illegal for all citizens whether they are Christians or not.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The evidence is clear: For example, the striving to make Christian sins (such as abortion and gay marriage) illegal for all citizens whether they are Christians or not.

Not only is this not "evidence," but seeing anyone resort to using it is offensive.

To the extent that abortion is a sin, it's because murder is a sin!

You're not talking about something like missing Mass on Sunday or drinking whiskey when you refer to taking a human life.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not only is this not "evidence," but seeing anyone resort to using it is offensive.

To the extent that abortion is a sin, it's because murder is a sin!

You're not talking about something like missing Mass on Sunday or drinking whiskey when you refer to taking a human life.
But that abortion is always murder is a religious position. What about gay marriage?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But that abortion is always murder is a religious position.

And that makes murder an acceptable practice? I'm not getting the logic in that approach.

What about gay marriage?

Rather more complicated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Probably very few actually want an officially established church. But most of them are at least "Christian culturalists" in the sense that I mentioned earlier--that somehow and in some fashion (even if not de jure) the US is, or should be a Christian nation. The evidence is clear: For example, the striving to make Christian sins (such as abortion and gay marriage) illegal for all citizens whether they are Christians or not.

They seem to also want murder and theft to be illegal. Amazing how they could feel so entitled.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about gay marriage?
Over the course of human existence How many cultures have there been that did not support gay marriage for reasons having nothing to do with Christianity?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
They seem to also want murder and theft to be illegal. Amazing how they could feel so entitled.
But murder and theft are not just Christians sins; they are acknowledged as wrong by people of all religions and none. On the other hand, that causing a zygote to fail to implant is capital murder meriting life imprisonment or death is not something widely acknowledged outside of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe this is called “preaching to the choir”.

I believe my post is called pointing out an obnoxious error that doesn't make sense. I could care less if atheists or non-Christians choose not to recognize the correctness of my point.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Over the course of human existence How many cultures have there been that did not support gay marriage for reasons having nothing to do with Christianity?
Who knows? But we're talking about here and now.

Upvote 0