Study: Americans with Christian nationalist views more likely to flout COVID-19 precautions:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My point--and my only point in this discussion--is that the desire by these particular Christians to outlaw gay marriage for all citizens constitutes a form of Christian nationalism.

Then you'd better explain why it is so.

It might be called a Christian thing or Christianity as applied to social norms, but where do you come by calling it "Christian Nationalism?" That term, we all know, is intended to suggest some kind of far-right political militancy similar to "White Nationalism" and some of those other terms that have been generated lately in order to shift the blame away from Antifa & Co.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

It might be called a Christian thing or Christianity as applied to social norms, but where do you come by calling it "Christian Nationalism?" That term, we all know, is intended to suggest some kind of far-right political militancy similar to "White Nationalism" and some of those other terms that have been generated lately in order to shift the blame away from Antifa & Co.
No, we don't all know that and in fact I defined what I meant by the term earlier in the discussion. You're just trying to be inflammatory.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
It's okay if there's no answer forthcoming. I would have been surprised if there were an attempt. ;)
Instead of trying to bite about the edges, how about actually engaging in an argument of substance. That would actually make discussion more interesting. It would also encourage staying on the topic of the thread.

Upvote 0

cappycappy

Mar 30, 2020
Dallas
✟20,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I believe this.
The Anti-Science attitude probably stems from the fact that the Bible doesn't match up with what we know about the history of the world. our planet earth is a lot older than what the Bible indicates. That is just one example.
Many Christians feel antagonistic towards science as a result.

• Agree
Reactions: Caliban
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

It might be called a Christian thing or Christianity as applied to social norms, but where do you come by calling it "Christian Nationalism?"

Because it's more than Christianity applied to social norms, it's enforced social norms using "Christianity" as a guide. And of course, the means of enforcement is United States law.

And once you start using the laws to enforce your religious beliefs, they get pretty well mixed. Just as too many Christians believe that anything not of Christ is evil, those same Christians believe that anything not of "America" is similarly evil.

We see it around here all the time.

Upvote 0