Students Protesting Annual Drag Show at Catholic University Threatened with Violence

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
McKenna, who chose Loyola University Chicago because it is a Catholic college, said he is speaking out because the drag show doesn’t align with the university’s Catholic mission and degrades women.

A small group of students who protested an annual drag show at the Catholic Loyola University Chicago told CNA that a group of counterprotesters destroyed their signs, disparaged their faith, and later threatened them with violence on social media.

Rising juniors Emily Torres and Matthew McKenna resorted to protesting the April 14 event, which has been held on campus since at least 2018, after school administrators refused to accede to their requests that the event be canceled. The students had told officials they believed the drag show promotes values in contradiction with Catholic teaching.

According to their account, when the two students staged a protest outside of the event held at the university’s Mullady Theater, a crowd of counterprotesters surrounded them and ripped up their signs.

Among the handwritten signs were two that read “Loyola pays drag queens to blaspheme” and “Drag shows drag down female dignity.”

In an audio recording obtained by CNA, one student in the crowd screams: “I hate Catholic people.” A roar of cheers can be heard in response.

The event, called “Drag Race,” was sponsored by the university-recognized LGBT club “Rainbow Connection” and the Department of Programming, the student group responsible for organizing events funded by the Jesuit university.

Continued below.

• Prayers
Reactions: WarriorAngel

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Next month is "Pride Month". :confused:

After reading through several Twitter threads consisting of comments made by woke activists regarding what they'd like to inflict on conservative Christian heterosexuals, I am still considering whether I'm going be carrying every time I go out in public during June, or not.

But at the current moment, quite frankly, my opinion is that it would be prudent to be armed if I'm going anywhere that I might encounter.....obstreperous individuals of.....certain persuasions. :(

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
McKenna, who chose Loyola University Chicago because it is a Catholic college ….
There’s his first mistake. Not picking an actual functionally Catholic college. There are a few. He should ask for his money back and start again at a real Catholic college.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The poison in the well is found in a few liberally worldly 'Catholic' colleges.

I think it would be a fantastic idea if the majority of students would ask their money back for the lack of genuine teachings.
May it be so.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The poison in the well is found in a few liberally worldly 'Catholic' colleges.

I think it would be a fantastic idea if the majority of students would ask their money back for the lack of genuine teachings.
May it be so.
They wouldn't actually get their money back but they should make a demand for it. Maybe the administrative blockheads that run these woke schools would wake up.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
They wouldn't actually get their money back but they should make a demand for it. Maybe the administrative blockheads that run these woke schools would wake up.
Or if they all walk out never to return and give thumbs down for the education.

There are things that can be done to fight back.

Upvote 0