Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NPR did a report on this a few weeks ago. The tone is adapted from a device meant to keep kids from loitering around stores. They played a sample of the sound over the radio, and it drove me bonkers, and I'm 23.

I can't stand high pitched noises. My 'rents used to have this thing in their garden that emmitted a high pitched noise to keep animals away. All it succeeded in doing was driving me crazy when I was working in the garden. One day I got fed up with it and ripped the batteries out, my parent's thought I was crazy for being able to hear it. I'm also known to get up in the middle of dinner and turn off a TV that is on "mute" because I can't stand the high pitched sound of a CRT with no other sound.

Upvote 0

HisEagle

Senior Veteran
Feb 26, 2004
✟10,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I thought I was an oddball because I can hear high-pitched "buzzes" that most people can't hear. I guess other people can hear them, too. Like you, trunks2k, I can detect the high pitched sound that a TV makes when it is muted.

I sometimes like to fall asleep with a fan running, to drown out the noises from outside. The other night I actually found myself getting restless because I was hearing the high-pitched "tone" that was being produced as a result of the fan's running motor. It was awful, but I finally managed to fall asleep.

In remote places (such as the mountains) where it is absolutely quiet....devoid of any birds, nature sounds, winds, human sounds, etc... some people can actually detect a high-pitched buzzing or ringing inside their ear, and it can be quite annoying. It has happened to me on several occasions, and I think I can truly understand what it means when people say "the silence was deafening" - because that ringing in the ear can be really loud, even in total silence.

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
PaladinDoodler said:
Solution: Take away the kids cell phones during class or require them to keep the cell phones in their lockers until the school day is over. :thumbsup:
And how do the teachers know which students have a mobile phone on them? They can't search every student (don't know the legalities of searching even one for a mobile phone). Technically my school had that policy and it was the biggest joke, absolutely unenforcable and most teachers gave up; only caring if they heard the mobile go of in class (disruptive).

By the way why dot he kids need this special tone? Haven't they ever heard of 'vibrate'????????????:scratch:

Upvote 0

ZACTAK

Contributor
Feb 12, 2005
Missouri
✟16,157.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
PaladinDoodler said:
Solution: Take away the kids cell phones during class or require them to keep the cell phones in their lockers until the school day is over. :thumbsup:

A huge reason why schools allow students to carry cell phones these days is so that in case of an emergency they have quick access to a phone to call 911.

I also agree with what others were saying. At my high school, a person and their parents had to be present during a search.

Upvote 0

Ceris

I R the Nutness (and I love sedatta )
Mar 10, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,150.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
ScMay said:
And how do the teachers know which students have a mobile phone on them? They can't search every student (don't know the legalities of searching even one for a mobile phone). Technically my school had that policy and it was the biggest joke, absolutely unenforcable and most teachers gave up; only caring if they heard the mobile go of in class (disruptive).

By the way why dot he kids need this special tone? Haven't they ever heard of 'vibrate'????????????:scratch:

Best solution any of my teachers ever had for this problem (cell phone going off in class) - answer the phone and embaress the hell out of the student - keeping the rest of us highly entertained as well.

Upvote 0

ZACTAK

Contributor
Feb 12, 2005
Missouri
✟16,157.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
ScMay said:

People can usually hear the phone when it vibrates... some can't, but a lot can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ceris said:
Best solution any of my teachers ever had for this problem (cell phone going off in class) - answer the phone and embaress the hell out of the student - keeping the rest of us highly entertained as well.
Love it. I was at a concert and the singer grabbed the cell of someone in the front row and started singing into it. Not sure if if it just rang or the person had been talking, but they got serenaded by Craig Morgan. ^_^

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Ceris said:

Wish my teachers thought of that! One did have the brilliance and humour to get a students phone and, much to the humour of our class, call a student in another class from the contacts list. Busted him good and quite funny to watch/hear. Still as a consistently repeatable and effective method of keeping phones off yours sure does top it!

Upvote 0

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Ceris said:

I have had a few teachers that did that, the couple of times it happened to me I thought it was pretty funny.

How hard is it to cut a phone on silent during a class though?

Upvote 0

bill'swife

let peace rule...
Jan 23, 2005
facebook
Visit site
✟127,389.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Mr.Pious said:
I have had a few teachers that did that, the couple of times it happened to me I thought it was pretty funny.

How hard is it to cut a phone on silent during a class though?
For real!!! They can check thier messages/missed cals during the break between classes...if it's a true emergency ppl can call the office and the secretary (or other office personnel) can get ahold of you in class.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MaddyO3

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
Iowa
✟10,603.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
groundhog said:
I can detect the high pitched sound that a TV makes when it is muted.

I can hear that too! It really bothers me when people leave televisions on with the volume off because of that sound. My friends thought I was crazy or imagining the sound. Now I know I'm sane.

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Quantos said:
Ok, new device for teachers.

High Freq Sound Detector that flashes when it hears the Phone ringing :p
Better yet, get one of those things that jams ALL cell phones. I hear some churches use that.

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TwinCrier said:
Better yet, get one of those things that jams ALL cell phones. I hear some churches use that.

Problem with that.

Legal issues, Cell phone jammers are not legal in the US (And if a church is using it, I pray no doctors on call ever go there, someone just might die)

Upvote 0