Students demand end to bullying by other students.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure who you think is impinging on your free speech,
Not "my" free speech, but that of the so-called bullies.

That was one reason that I never fought back nor even lifted an arm to ward off their blows. They had a constitutional right to express their opinions.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That was one reason that I never fought back nor even lifted an arm to ward off their blows. They had a constitutional right to express their opinions.

OK. I'm honestly not seeing your logic here (in terms of what this has to do with bullying or gun control as issues now).
Ringo

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So athletes shouldn't have guns? It is a fact that they have heightened testosterone levels that frequently lead to violence, both on and off the field of play. As a group they certainly pose the greatest potential threat of 'violent behavior'.
If they are known to be violent . No. The Florida shooter and many other crazies have a history of being violent. It shouldn't be legal for them to have guns.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
so you would respond by looking the other way.

Being the cynical old man that I am I am dispassionate about most of these issues. Regarding the treatment of LGBT's I haven't really formed a solid opinion.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If they are known to be violent . No. The Florida shooter and many other crazies have a history of being violent. It shouldn't be legal for them to have guns.

Athletes, and many others, are frequently arrested for fighting (violence). Does this count? If a person beats another senseless I would deem that person to be "violent". Millions have "assault and battery" on their police records.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Athletes, and many others, are frequently arrested for fighting (violence). Does this count? If a person beats another senseless I would deem that person to be "violent". Millions have "assault and battery" on their police records.
Yes, Of course. I don't make excusses for crazy vilent people to own guns. Now maybe, if someone was proven to be defending themselves. That's a different story. But I'm betting most don't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There is a fine line in stopping bullying and impinging on freedom of speech/expression.

And as someone who got beat up by bullies at least 2x a week thru several years of grade school, I think I have earned the right to speak.

As I said, bullying, when it is real, is a horrid evil and causes real problems. It makes kids' lives awful.

But it's also a bandwagon now. And everyone's on it. If your child is teased once, she's being "bullied". And this is just not true. Now even adults are crying about it, and this AFTER they have invited the blowback. That's not how it works.

Really, "bullying"--note the quotes--is just one more offshoot of our Victim Culture. There is power in Victimhood, and everyone wants in on it. It's pathetic. We are a pathetic nation because of it.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

If there were actual physical blows, that goes well beyond free speech. That's assault and you should have been protected from it. And yes, of course children have free speech in school--to a point. That point ends at abject harassment though. For kids in school, it's a little less than absolute free speech to be honest, for the same reason they don't get 2A rights, or the right not to be "searched". They're kids. They are growing into full rights, and even as a lover of the Constitution--that's as it should be.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, Of course. I don't make excusses for crazy vilent people to own guns. Now maybe, if someone was proven to be defending themselves. That's a different story. But I'm betting most don't.

Can you see the 'slippery slope' here? Ever wonder why Congress is loathe to pass new gun laws? They see a Trojan horse, or the nose of the camel. They also know they cannot defend most proposals as they infringe on gun rights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Just to clarify there seems to be a conflation with bullying, an adverse social relationship that has been a part of the ENTIRE human experience since bloody CAIN, and school shootings; a uniquely american phenomen of the last 30 years or so

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there were actual physical blows, that goes well beyond free speech. That's assault and you should have been protected from it. And yes, of course children have free speech in school--to a point
Of course there were physical blows. that was what bullying was all about back then. I had black eyes, or a bloody nose or a swollen lip a couple times a week from 3rd grade thru 6th.

So I was in trouble for fighting frequently.

And no, I did not accept anyone's "protection."

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Of course there were physical blows. that was what bullying was all about back then. I had black eyes, or a bloody nose or a swollen lip a couple times a week from 3rd grade thru 6th.

So I was in trouble for fighting frequently.
It's still sometimes about that. And it ain't right.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just to clarify there seems to be a conflation with bullying, an adverse social relationship that has been a part of the ENTIRE human experience since bloody CAIN, and school shootings; a uniquely american phenomen of the last 30 years or so.
But of course they are very linked.

The Columbine pair that killed so many claimed to be driven to it because of bullying.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They do not want to get gunned down with semi-auto guns. They are yet children and did nothing to deserve the Parkland massacre.
Actually, if we all knew the full truth, there are probably many years of a particular treatment of that person by his very own classmates that led to what he finally cracked, and did.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
But of course they are very linked.

The Columbine pair that killed so many claimed to be driven to it because of bullying.
Oh, I'm not arguing they are not linked. Perhaps I was being a bit vague but bullying has been part of how humans interact with each other for at least 6225 years, or, however long humans have existed. Having a demonstration against bullying (when, in some form or another, perhaps many of the participants HAVE bullied) seems to be a bit hollow and pointless.

Upvote 0