✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He was a deadly murderer.
Yeah, that's why the arrest was so weird.
Did you even watch the video of this kid's arrest?
No, the browser on this machine (which is having a near death experience for the last couple of years now) can't play Youtube or any html5 videos anymore...
I'd have to get my phone to watch it.
I should do that.
Hold on.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
All the people arguing the kid was resisting and body slammed for stealing should probably read the article. He was not body slammed for stealing or resisting, he was body slammed because someone failed to understand the incident he approached and went in with a hothead. Much of this could be avoided if we didn't put people armed and trained to diffuse far more serious incidents in a school.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, like quoting one word without context and infidels who are only here to disagree...

I didn't miss any important context.

But if you want to get into it, I would argue that the stuff I left out just makes your commenting-while-ignorant look even worse than what I wrote.

I'd really like to know where @User Bob found video that substantiates this claim:

He didn't get "body-slammed" for stealing a candy bar. He stole a bunch of stuff... and eventually resisted arrest.

The video in the OP starts as the kid was being grabbed and doesn't show what preceded it.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't miss any important context.
Yes you did.
I'm unable to watch the video because i can't access the link in the OP from Europe.

I wish you a pleasant time on my ignore list.
Bye.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The OP, and the liberal news media article, want to paint this as an example of a black boy being treated differently because he's black. So, they downplay his crime and ignore his resistance and falsely declare he was body slammed for stealing a candy bar.
White teenagers or grownups don't typically het body slammed for stealing a candy bar. So what should we think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes you did.
I'm unable to watch the video because i can't access the link in the OP from Europe.
Then why comment on something that you cant gain knowledge about?

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you go 5 mph over the speed limit thecop has a right to stop you and write you a ticket. You aren't really trying to equate a minor traffic offense with a criminal act if theft are you?

A minor traffic violation is equivalent to minor theft. Both are crimes. Both are against the law. Both are misdemeanors. Both are addressed by police a million times per day. In both cases, if the cops have all of your information, they simply write you a ticket.

Proportionality is often determined by the perpetrator not the cops. The perpetrator escalates and the cops respond.

You are dreaming. Proportionality is determined by the officer, the officer chooses to respond. The officer has the gun and the badge and can make whatever decision he wants. When the officer exercises good judgement based on the situation (i.e. his life is endanger, the magnitude of the crime/situation fits the response, etc) then I will stand by the officer. But when the cop does NOT exercise good judgement, I will call him out on it.

If you resist you deserve to have force used against you.
Depends on the level of resistance and the crime and the situation. If you touch a cop with your pinky then technically you have assaulted said cop. If you punch a cop in the face then technically you have assault said cop. Both are not equivalent actions.

My argument is paint by numbers simple. What I am demanding is common sense and good judgement. Officers are supposed to be trained professionals. Any testosterone fueled frat boy with a baseball bat can enforce the law as you see it-- that is, walk around and thump anyone who gets out of line... What I demand is some critical thinking and good judgement

What's fundamentally broken is logic like yours which wants to allow criminals to either get away with minor crime or reisist arrest and the cops can't do anything about it.

No where did I argue the above. If you commit a misdemeanor and the cop has your information or is easily able to obtain your information then said misdemeanor should rarely if ever constitute the use of force against you. The cop should simply write you a ticket.

I am very consistent in that argument, I argue this point all the time. I feel a sense of justice and have a basic sense of ethics. Are there exceptions to this? Sure, of course this is situationally dependent but for the most part it should hold. And for the most part cops do what I advocate.

What's your answer? Someone steals a candy bar and the cop tries to stop him and the person refuses. What the cop to do?

Write a ticket.
The school can send the kid home.

Look, physical violence should be treated as a serious matter. On many occasions physical violence by police officers have resulted in the actual death of the citizen. This has occurred over minor "misdemeanors". My point is that physical violence is serious and using serious measures over trivial offenses makes no mathematical sense. It doesn't add up. And as the citizenry we should not be okay with it.

All I am arguing is for proportionality, the punishment and law enforcement measures should fit the crime. That is all I'm arguing for. No where am I arguing for cops to let someone "get away with it" as you keep trying to misrepresent my argument...

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A minor traffic violation is equivalent to minor theft. Both are crimes. Both are against the law. Both are misdemeanors. Both are addressed by police a million times per day. In both cases, if the cops have all of your information, they simply write you a ticket.

Not to nitpick, but in most states "minor traffic violations" are infractions, not misdemeanors.
Only serious traffic violations (like drunk driving) are misdemeanors.

A misdemeanor is punishable by up to a year in jail. If a person is arrested for a misdemeanor, they almost always are taken into custody.

Infraction arrests result in a citation or ticket, which is actually a notice to appear in court on the appointed day, signed by the alleged offender. The only way an infraction leads to custodial arrest is
if the alleged offender refuses to sign the ticket.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If you go 5 mph over the speed limit thecop has a right to stop you and write you a ticket. You aren't really trying to equate a minor traffic offense with a criminal act if theft are you?

Yes the punishment should fit the crime. But at what point does the cop have the right to enforce the law? You steal a candy bar and the cop stops you or tries and you tell him to pound sand. Does he have a right to grab you to stop you or should he just let you walk? If he does grab you do you have a right to resist? If you do should be just let you walk or does he have a right to use more force?

Proportionality is often determined by the perpetrator not the cops. The perpetrator escalates and the cops respond.

If you resist you deserve to have force used against you.

What's fundamentally broken is logic like yours which wants to allow criminals to either get away with minor crime or reisist arrest and the cops can't do anything about it.

What's your answer? Someone steals a candy bar and the cop tries to stop him and the person refuses. What the cop to do?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes you did.

I wish you a pleasant time on my ignore list.
Bye.

Hmmm... I don't recall ever questioning your reason for not watching the video.

Then why comment on something that you cant gain knowledge about?

See, this guy gets it. ^^^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Student body slammed by officers at school after stealing candy bar from vending machine

Ah, so that's what police officers in the school are for, body slamming students, not protecting them in case of a school shooting. Given the rarity of school shootings and their general ineffectiveness, perhaps police officers in schools are not needed. I guess detention isn't a thing anymore.

Perhaps the rarity of school shootings is because the police are effective.

It's odd someone would think "well since we have these security measures in place to prevent something....if that something doesn't happen, we no longer need the security measures!" It's like turning off the firewall on your computer because you haven't gotten any viruses....who needs it, right?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are there people in this thread actually advocating for a student to be body slammed by a police officer because the student stole a candy bar from a vending machine? Is that really going on?

Is that really what happened? Did the student steal the candy bar and look up to see a cop flying from the turnbuckle at him?

Or was there an attempt to handle the situation without any force and the student resisted in some way?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's typical. Conservatives people are in denial, That tan , dark hair. Or black people aren't treated badly . The song just make certain people feel good. Even though it's really a lie. BYW I like the song.

Upvote 0