✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all, Im desperate for help

I cant seem to sense Gods presence or peace. or his love. I try praying to God asking for filling, nothing, I try confessing any known sins, nothing, most days I read my bible and theres barely a stir inside me, on rare occasions (once or twice a year) I feel filled up to overflowing and think yay this is it! Im back! then I wake up the next day and all my peace and joy is gone like it was a dream

I thought maybe there is sin blocking Gods presence but even when I give up certain things he doesn't come back.

I have no idea what to do and I feel depressed and frustrated. this has been my walk since day 1

Kind Regards

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Most of the time you don't feel God brother. You live by faith, knowing that He exists ("the just shall live by faith"). Very seldom do we experience Him as the Lord did on the "Mount of Transfiguration." But those experiences are succeeded by rotten experiences in the valley.

Get alone with God, as you've been doing, and you'll develop an intimacy with Him that's unique to you. Don't worry, He's more eager to draw closer to you than you think and soon you'll always sense His Presence. Hope that helps. See you in heaven (if not sooner):).

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Most of the time you don't feel God brother. You live by faith, knowing that He exists ("the just shall live by faith"). Very seldom do we experience Him as the Lord did on the "Mount of Transfiguration." But those experiences are succeeded by rotten experiences in the valley.

Get alone with God, as you've been doing, and you'll develop an intimacy with Him that's unique to you. Don't worry, He's more eager to draw closer to you than you think and soon you'll always sense His Presence. Hope that helps. See you in heaven (if not sooner):).

Upvote 0

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thankyou! what does this intimacy look/feel like?, I dont know what it is to be intimate with God.

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont know what it is to be intimate with God.

How to be intimate with God ?

The Jewish people and their Rabbi assumed they were the true chosen nation who inherited the Salvation and the kingdom of God and they like to draw people attention by praying in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men.

Matt 6:5 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others"

They are also good to only those who were of their own country, nation, and religion, whom they are pleased to look upon as their friends. Others salute their brethren, and embrace those of their own party, and way, and opinion,

But if we want to be intimate with God we must study to conform ourselves to the example of our heavenly Father :

Matt 5:44 but I -- I say to you, Love your enemies, bless those cursing you, do good to those hating you, and pray for those accusing you falsely, and persecuting you,

46. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

Are you willing to deny yourself and bear this Cross ?

May Jesus bless you all HalleluYAH

• Agree
Reactions: ForsakenGirl
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all, Im desperate for help. I cant seem to sense Gods presence or peace. or his love. I try praying to God asking for filling, nothing, I try confessing any known sins, nothing, most days I read my bible and theres barely a stir inside me, on rare occasions (once or twice a year) I feel filled up to overflowing and think yay this is it! Im back! then I wake up the next day and all my peace and joy is gone like it was a dream

I thought maybe there is sin blocking Gods presence but even when I give up certain things he doesn't come back.

I have no idea what to do and I feel depressed and frustrated. this has been my walk since day 1

Kind Regards

Greetings, Ben Collyer!

Thanks for posting your concerns. This may be more common among believers today that any of us realize, mostly because not everyone is willing to articulate it so plainly and openly.

The first thing that came to my mind in reading your post was something I wrote a few days ago in a thread about why God allows us to go through tribulations and trials. Subject matter got around to why we often seem to have good days and then bad days. Here was my answer to that:

"About everyone debating how we all seem to have good days and bad days with God, where I think people run into confusion is in seeing God as a type of automaton that will automatically be there whenever we ask. This would seem to be correct, but I have a little wisdom for you: I believe our God is like a Lover, and a very Smart one, too. He knows how to get His bride to long for Him, and unfortunately this often involves distancing Himself from us. He is wise enough never to allow Himself to be taken for granted by anyone, least of all His bride. This is why every single one of us, no matter what form our intimacy with Him usually takes (thru revelation, or thru worship, or thru prayer, or thru fellowship, etc), experiencing His Presence is ALWAYS intermittent, always. It comes and it goes, making us long for Him once again. This is His means of drawing us closer, and closer, and closer... A bit mean, but it sure does serve His purposes, and for our benefit. In short, we are subject to a Lover who knows exactly what He is doing: Drawing us to His ultimate goal of eventually loving Him with our whole hearts, and our whole minds, and our whole souls, and our whole strength. Thus, He is taking us somewhere, somewhere greater than we could ever imagine...."

Now, in your particular case I might not have been so flippant about it, not that I really was - more like just being playful - but I don't want to discourage you at all. Sounds like you have an especially bad case of it.

Let me ask you: What experiences have you had with God so far in your past that brought you a sense of God's peace and presence? Be very specific, and use examples.

Btw, here is that thread I quoted myself from, if you're interested:
Why does God allow us to go through trials and tribulation?

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Thankyou! what does this intimacy look/feel like?, I dont know what it is to be intimate with God.
It's like being with your dad son:), or maybe your best friend. Jesus was half-human and feels just like you. God bless you kid:).

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe we can experience His peace and his joy.

"do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Php 4:6-7)

The 'peace of God' is a settled peace we have regardless of circumstances. It is different than our 'peace with God' which reflects the objective fact that God is no more at war with us (Rom 5:1), a truth whether we feel it or not. The first is subjective the latter objective but both rooted in an historical fact of the atonement.

So take another look at Philippians (also an epistle of joy) and see what you come up with.

Upvote 0

ElsieBA

May 3, 2017
Kuching
✟10,089.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi Ben!

May I suggest that you get to know The Person of Jesus Christ? As you get to know him, you will experience an intimacy with him.

I was in a similar situation like yours before. I thought I was doing the right thing in my walk with God. I have a relationship with him and doing bible studies and serving him in the choir ministry. Somehow, I was still struggling despite confessions of sins just to get back on track with God. I never felt that my spiritual life was fulfilled.

Recently I learned that what was impeding my walk with God was my pursuit of other things in life in order to get fulfillment. These desire (for relationships) and ambition (work related) are idolatry in the eyes of God, which in my case, might not be God's will for me. My prayers for those things were never answered and I got frustrated and depressed.

I searched for answers mostly from scriptures but they still did not address my situation. But one passage that we often miss the point, is as below:-

A lawyer asked Jesus in Matthew 10:36-37, “Sir, which is the most important command in the laws of Moses?” 37 Jesus replied, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind'.

I have often asked myself, how can I love God with all my heart, soul and mind, not just in faith but in an actual way? It's the same in everyday situation - you can't love someone without knowing him or her first, right? So I prayed "Lord, I want to know you more so that I can love you. Show me how." So I set out to know the person of Jesus deeper - his birth, life, teachings, death and resurrection. As I got to know him more, he revealed himself in a personal way (also in dreams) and as a result, I felt convicted of my sin of idolatry. I surrendered all my selfish desire and ambition to him in exchange for just him and put my trust in his promises. My desire now is for God's will and not mine, to be fulfilled in me. Praise the Lord, I feel his peace, presence and contentment!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ElsieBA

May 3, 2017
Kuching
✟10,089.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It's like being with your dad son:), or maybe your best friend. Jesus was half-human and feels just like you. God bless you kid:).

Jesus was fully human according to Hebrews 2:4-15 (New Living Translation)

14 Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death. 15 Only in this way could he set free all who have lived their lives as slaves to the fear of dying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I wasn't being technical my friend. I was merely trying to encourage the young man. Apparently you haven't appreciated the spirit and intent of the encouragement. I'm quite sure everyone on this site knows exactly who the Lord Jesus is. God bless.

• Friendly
Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

ElsieBA

May 3, 2017
Kuching
✟10,089.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't being technical my friend. I was merely trying to encourage the young man. Apparently you haven't appreciated the spirit and intent of the encouragement. I'm quite sure everyone on this site knows exactly who the Lord Jesus is. God bless.

It is best that we avoid making assumptions but to speak the truth at all times. Saying that Jesus was half-human is not the truth. Everyone must know the truth about God. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:24).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We are children of the King. The bible is one of the best ways of getting to know your Father, who He is, what His plans are for you. Meditate on it (Joshua 1:8), get some notecards and write down encouraging scriptures to build up your faith so that when you are down, you can bring them out and read them, speak them out loud.
Start with Psalms:
Psalm 139: Thank you, Lord, for knowing me and loving me, for being light in the darkness, for being present in my life whether I feel like it or not, thank you for creating me. What does Psalm 139 tell you about God? He knows you, He understands, is intimately acquainted with you, protects you, He is a light for you, you are chosen and created by Him.
Step by step, little by little you commit to sitting with your Father and getting to know him. You establish His word in your heart so that when circumstances around are swirling, His peace and joy will remain.
He delights in you.

• Winner
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think the basis for really loving God starts with knowing that there is no way that we could ever account for our sin without Christ.

We would be finished. Dead, never to be reconciled back to God.

What Christ gives us is a gift, a free gift. Nothing we have ever done nor will ever do can earn it.

And God knew this. What does He say about His Son. Before the earth was even created, it was planned that Christ would come to earth to reconcile us sinners back to God.

Know who you are in Christ. You are a co-heir with Christ to the Father. Christ gives to us, what He has. Not only does He justify you, but He gives you an exalted position in His Kingdom. He goes to build a place for us, so that where He is, we can be there also.

You are in God's family. You have received an exalted position, not only saved by God, but we are sons and daughters. We are direct heirs to God. Adopted not only into eternal salvation, but as sons and daughters. To live with God for eternity. To experience love like we have never known love on this earth.

And Christ has sealed you into this promise. He gives you God Himself, the Holy Spirit residing in you as your seal and down payment, in earnest of what will come to you as God's heir.

What does Christ say? NO ONE can remove us from His right hand, because God the Father has given us to Him. Our future is so bright.

Know who you are and what we have been given. Rejoice and praise His Holy Name. Know that you have nothing without Him. and could never earn this place that God has given you as a free gift.

• Winner
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes we have to have our pride and ego on the ground.

When we can let go of who we are (that we think is so great and exciting) and realize who God is, then I think we can start on that journey of praise and worship and love.

Hope this helps you brother.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I cant seem to sense Gods presence or peace. or his love. I try praying to God asking for filling, nothing, I try confessing any known sins, nothing, most days I read my bible and theres barely a stir inside me, on rare occasions (once or twice a year) I feel filled up to overflowing and think yay this is it! Im back! then I wake up the next day and all my peace and joy is gone like it was a dream

Kind Regards
Do not look for an experience to tell you or show you that God is with you.

Faith is believing when we do not have all that. Those moments we are filled carry us through the moments that we do not feel that.

Read about what faith is. Your faith needs to carry you always and God will not always give you some awesome infilling. And you have to have enough faith to still walk during those times.

God bless you brother.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private

Kind Regards

:hi: Ben.

I'm sorry you're struggling to feel His presence right now it's very distressing I know :(
Philippians 4:6 comes to mind hang in there we're with you all the way.

Upvote 0