• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling with the low-fat notion

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I was diagnosed as prediabetic (a1c of 5.7, glucose of 117 as a non-fasting patient) and I have an appointment to talk to a care facilitator about this at the advice of my doctor (I don't know what the facilitator will say yet) but it's more than possible that she'll bring up the issue of low-fat stuff, because that's a mantra of the medical profession. I don't think all fats are good, but fuller-fat things (e.g. full-fat dairy) seem to be more mentally satisfying (even though I have problems getting physically satisfied on anything, but I attribute that to my prediabetes condition), and if something is mentally satisfying, my mind is not as much on edge and I won't want to grab every food in sight. How does one reconcile with this? I understand the low-carb thing, even though when I've tried to eat low-carb I've felt weak and light-headed, so I don't know how people do this either. Like fats, I don't think all carbs are bad but I do agree that the refined carbs most definitely are.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, I was diagnosed as prediabetic (a1c of 5.7, glucose of 117 as a non-fasting patient) and I have an appointment to talk to a care facilitator about this at the advice of my doctor (I don't know what the facilitator will say yet) but it's more than possible that she'll bring up the issue of low-fat stuff, because that's a mantra of the medical profession. I don't think all fats are good, but fuller-fat things (e.g. full-fat dairy) seem to be more mentally satisfying (even though I have problems getting physically satisfied on anything, but I attribute that to my prediabetes condition), and if something is mentally satisfying, my mind is not as much on edge and I won't want to grab every food in sight. How does one reconcile with this? I understand the low-carb thing, even though when I've tried to eat low-carb I've felt weak and light-headed, so I don't know how people do this either. Like fats, I don't think all carbs are bad but I do agree that the refined carbs most definitely are.
The way I do it is combine low fat, low carbs, high protein and most importantly - exercise compose of aerobic (jogging) and strength training.

The way it works is that the protein and exercise will keep you from getting hungry. Avoid all sugars. You'll get your sugars largely from fruit. But sugars and carbs are largely the things that make a person hungry. Snack on carrots and vegetables and some fruits.

As you lose weight (if that's your goal) you need to build muscle else you're going to lose muscle along with fat. Strength training will take care of that. If your intention is to lose weight go slowly - 1 lb a week, unless you're obese, in which case you can do a few lbs a week if you want until you're below the obese limit. Use the calorie calculator if you want precision.

That's my advice.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There's a really good breakdown of the carbs issue here: Do Carbs Make You Fat? | The Art of Manliness
It also links to a lot of relevant studies, and other articles on high protein and low carb/high fat diets. One of the most thorough breakdowns I've read online.

• Informative
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

I was diagnosed as prediabetic about 10 years ago. My fasting glucose stayed, mostly, in the range of 120 to 130. I was overweight. On the BMI (Body Mass Index) scale, I was in the Obese Class 1 section. My doctor said the single best thing I could do, for my prediabetes, was to lose weight.

Over a few months after that, I managed to lose about 10lbs and my fasting glucose stayed, mostly, in the 110 to 120 range. Finding it difficult to lose more weight, I stayed in the 110 to 120 range for the next 3-4 years. Then I decided to start jogging. Well, LoL, it started out as walking, fairly slowly, for short distances (1/2 mile), and built up from there, walking a little farther, at a faster pace, each week. About a year later, after a short warm up, I could run for 1.5 miles, non-stop. Over the course of that year, I dropped a little weight, 5lbs or so, but my fasting glucose change dramatically. At the end of that year, my fasting glucose stayed, mostly, in the 95 (normal) to 105 range. So, at least for me, 3 day/week jogging/walking exercise (without much weight lose) dropped my fasting glucose by 15 points.

Last year, I got really serious, through running, weight lifting and intermittent fasting, I lost 37lbs in 5.5 months. On the BMI scale, I was about 8lbs over my ideal weight. My fasting glucose stayed, mostly, in the 85 to 100 range (all in the normal range). My doctor was right, losing weight would take care of my prediabetes, it's gone. For the intermittent fasting, I ate all of the day's food in an 8 hour period and didn't eat anything during the remaining 16 hours of the day. I ate whatever foods I wanted, didn't count calories, carbs, etc. The only other requirement was that the portion size, for all of the meals I ate, was in the medium to small range, no large portion sized meals. It made a difference.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suspect a lot of the symptoms you have will work themselves out if you stick to it for a length of time, but if they persist for a while you should talk to your doctor about them specifically, because they could be a sign of something else going on that should be looked at. :wave:
tulc(just a suggestion) :)

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Oh, one good thing to know about testing your glucose at home, the electronic tester and the test strips do not require a prescription. You can get all of the needed supplies on Amazon or Ebay for alot less than at the pharmacy.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
These articles may be of interest to you:

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

After my type 2 diagnosis, I cut out all meat and dairy, all oils as much as possible, ate nothing with over 3% saturated fat, and a few other things. I reduced my a1c from 7.9 to 5.4 in 3 months. So, it does work.

It's actually a really easy diet change once you get used to it. Just don't plan to eat out much. By 'used to it', I mean when my dietary system went from mainly meat and dairy to mainly beans and brown rice, it fought me hard to about 2 or 3 weeks.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
which one works best for you?

Over the summer I work long hours so I lose weight whatever I eat, but in the winter I put it on if I eat too many carbs. Generally I just tend to stick with a fairly balanced diet, quite high protein and a fair amount of veg and legumes. I always eat full fat, full fat fresh milk, butter etc. I don't eat many wheat based carbs like pasta or bread, and rice or potatoes, or oats, just a few times a week. If I do put on weight cutting down on carbs for a week generally takes care of of it. Usually at the start of winter I continue with my summer diet to see how long I can get away with it, but that includes sweet stuff and pizza and whatever else, and I start to put on weight within a week of finishing the last harvest.
I've been thinking about intermittent fasting also as it seems to have some health benefits (there's an article about it here in New Scientist: Deprive yourself: The real benefits of fasting (although there might be a paywall) but I've only tried it a couple of times. I found the articles linked in my post above useful because they give a balanced view - I tend to think balance is best, I don't think it's necessary to pick one way of eating or diet and just stick to that, you can change things depending on how your body responds.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I ate a portion of full-fat cheese yesterday with some triscuits (about 6 crackers) and it calmed my brain down...but the dieticians dont want me to use that kind of stuff...:| I might have to do what she says but man it felt good to eat it...

Upvote 0