• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling with inappropriate contentography

Grateful266

Apr 14, 2017
Mid-South
✟1,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve struggled with inappropriate contentography for at least 10 years now. I know it’s wrong and self-destructive, but I can’t seem to stop. It’s cutting into my sleep and impacting my life. Please help.

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What strategies have you heard/tried already? So you can get more non redudant advice.
The first thing to do is limit your time on the computer. Don't use it unless you have something specific to do, and then zip it out of there. Don't just aimlessly browse, that usually goes off course. Put a cross or something on your login screen as a reminder to stay pure on the computer. when your first trying to break the habbit of something addicting, you might go through some mood swings, and feel absolutely terrible, as if you will be forever depressed if you don't do it. This is temporary, and know that it will pass and get better. Also identify your mood, and try to face problems like a man, that is, when you are feeling lonely or stressed out about a situation, you might be tempted to numb the pain and distract yourself by drowning in inappropriate content. Instead, embrace the pain and the situation. You can't run from difficulty. Of course don't get egotistical, but Ask God for help.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GodIsGood22
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I’ve struggled with inappropriate contentography for at least 10 years now. I know it’s wrong and self-destructive, but I can’t seem to stop. It’s cutting into my sleep and impacting my life. Please help.

I'm struggling too! It use to be to the point that it cuts into my sleep, and I've stopped, but recently I went back into it because of depression, and the feeling after it, like its hard to shake off how violated my spirit felt.
What at least helping me to subside it, and not make me feel defeated in the end, is identifying why I'm going to these things, write it down, pick out the feelings apart, find scriptures that addresses it, and pray about it. Praying in the spur of the moment is one thing, but intentional prayer is like discussing a game plan with my heavenly Father. Like with any kid, sometimes your running to your parents in emergency, but some situations you wanna address it with intelligence.
inappropriate contentography is definitely one of those things that need to addressed intentionally. Before, if I did it, it would just continue like a habit. But now, knowing what triggers it, and how God talks about it, and going to God about it, gives me more power over it.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm struggling too! It use to be to the point that it cuts into my sleep, and I've stopped, but recently I went back into it because of depression, and the feeling after it, like its hard to shake off how violated my spirit felt.
What at least helping me to subside it, and not make me feel defeated in the end, is identifying why I'm going to these things, write it down, pick out the feelings apart, find scriptures that addresses it, and pray about it. Praying in the spur of the moment is one thing, but intentional prayer is like discussing a game plan with my heavenly Father. Like with any kid, sometimes your running to your parents in emergency, but some situations you wanna address it with intelligence.
inappropriate contentography is definitely one of those things that need to addressed intentionally. Before, if I did it, it would just continue like a habit. But now, knowing what triggers it, and how God talks about it, and going to God about it, gives me more power over it.
Hi; I guess there is a vast difference between looking at a clothes catalogue where people of both genders are wearing nice outfits, and on the other hand at publications showing the genitals of either gender. I don't think we need to feel guilty about a reasonable and healthy interest in looking smart and appropriate.

Upvote 0

Grateful266

Apr 14, 2017
Mid-South
✟1,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What strategies have you heard/tried already? So you can get more non redudant advice.
The first thing to do is limit your time on the computer. Don't use it unless you have something specific to do, and then zip it out of there. Don't just aimlessly browse, that usually goes off course. Put a cross or something on your login screen as a reminder to stay pure on the computer. when your first trying to break the habbit of something addicting, you might go through some mood swings, and feel absolutely terrible, as if you will be forever depressed if you don't do it. This is temporary, and know that it will pass and get better. Also identify your mood, and try to face problems like a man, that is, when you are feeling lonely or stressed out about a situation, you might be tempted to numb the pain and distract yourself by drowning in inappropriate content. Instead, embrace the pain and the situation. You can't run from difficulty. Of course don't get egotistical, but Ask God for help.

I’ve tried everything: Limiting my time online, blocking certain sites, reminding myself how this is affecting my relationships with others. It probably doesn’t help that I’m naturally uncomfortable around women and have extreme trouble starting a real life relationship with one.

Upvote 0

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I’ve tried everything: Limiting my time online, blocking certain sites, reminding myself how this is affecting my relationships with others. It probably doesn’t help that I’m naturally uncomfortable around women and have extreme trouble starting a real life relationship with one.

Ok...
So your trying to hard to find love, and your depressed about it not happening. Focus on that when it comes up. If there's any pain your trying to numb with sex, I'm guessing its this. If this is the problem try to figure out why. Why do you feel empty without a relationship? You can also just let yourself be sad. Its tough, but then you don't need to fill your pain with something else.
another thing, If you got sexual thoughts in your mind, just chill, don't panic(and try to fight it). just find a distraction or figure out whats making it so tempting and grieve it(emotional pain). The harder you try to not think about something your gonna think about it more. Just let it pass, without worrying about it. There's nothing sinful about thoughts you didn't ask for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grateful266

Apr 14, 2017
Mid-South
✟1,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok...
So your trying to hard to find love, and your depressed about it not happening. Focus on that when it comes up. If there's any pain your trying to numb with sex, I'm guessing its this. If this is the problem try to figure out why. Why do you feel empty without a relationship? You can also just let yourself be sad. Its tough, but then you don't need to fill your pain with something else.
another thing, If you got sexual thoughts in your mind, just chill, don't panic(and try to fight it). just find a distraction or figure out whats making it so tempting and grieve it(emotional pain). The harder you try to not think about something your gonna think about it more. Just let it pass, without worrying about it. There's nothing sinful about thoughts you didn't ask for.
Thanks. This has really been helpful getting this off my chest. I haven't talked about this with anyone. You've given me some good ideas to try out.

Upvote 0