• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling with inappropriate content/masturbation/lust

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Been an addiction since I was a kid probably, have used it as an escape from problems, release from stress/anxiety/depression..etc.
I keep going back and forth between following Jesus pretty strongly for maybe a few weeks then I backslide and quit reading the scriptures/praying as much and instead maybe watching inappropriate content and being selfish and whatnot.
I have been feeling pretty good and positive all week then last night I masturbated about 2 times and was texting with a woman sexually and can't help but feel like I've fallen away from God now and that he is angry with me. It's like the sexual energy just builds up and builds up and then I'll be getting random erections and strong sexual thoughts and urges (even at times that I'd rather not have one as it could result in humiliation) and it leads me to just give in and I tell myself "Well at least I got that out of my system now." but it doesn't help the guilt and actually makes me feel more depression/anxious and less confident in the days following that but I keep repeating the behavior. Hoping someone else has struggled with the same issue and has some advice, thanks.

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is a natural drive in males that can be dealt with on a weekly basis. More frequent indulgence usually indicates an addiction problem.

The sensations associated with alcohol, drugs, gambling, or other indulgences can become established as a habit. Breaking the habit often requires several attempts of various techniques such as substitution, diversion, and abstinence.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Praying for the target of lust (not "for" as in to have, but for as for their benefit, their safety, their peace of mind, body and soul) may return them to their rightful position in your mind, or at least return your mind to it's rightful position. Ideally both. Lust is self-centered by it's root, even though it claims to have an object - turn the mind and prayers in the other direction, you may find this helpful. And if a demon is whispering temptations in your ear, it will find your making a habit of this response to be very, very annoyingly counter-productive and seek greener fields.

Upvote 0

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Praying for the target of lust (not "for" as in to have, but for as for their benefit, their safety, their peace of mind, body and soul) may return them to their rightful position in your mind, or at least return your mind to it's rightful position. Ideally both. Lust is self-centered by it's root, even though it claims to have an object - turn the mind and prayers in the other direction, you may find this helpful.

Thanks but not really sure what you are suggesting lol.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been an addiction since I was a kid probably, have used it as an escape from problems, release from stress/anxiety/depression..etc.
I keep going back and forth between following Jesus pretty strongly for maybe a few weeks then I backslide and quit reading the scriptures/praying as much and instead maybe watching inappropriate content and being selfish and whatnot.
I have been feeling pretty good and positive all week then last night I masturbated about 2 times and was texting with a woman sexually and can't help but feel like I've fallen away from God now and that he is angry with me. It's like the sexual energy just builds up and builds up and then I'll be getting random erections and strong sexual thoughts and urges (even at times that I'd rather not have one as it could result in humiliation) and it leads me to just give in and I tell myself "Well at least I got that out of my system now." but it doesn't help the guilt and actually makes me feel more depression/anxious and less confident in the days following that but I keep repeating the behavior. Hoping someone else has struggled with the same issue and has some advice, thanks.
Welcome to CF. Have you recieved His Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a natural drive in males that can be dealt with on a weekly basis. More frequent indulgence usually indicates an addiction problem.

The sensations associated with alcohol, drugs, gambling, or other indulgences can become established as a habit. Breaking the habit often requires several attempts of various techniques such as substitution, diversion, and abstinence.

So you are saying for a single christian man it is okay to give into lust once on a weekly basis? (Just masturbation or is inappropriate content okay as well)? Can you show any scriptures that support this? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks but not really sure what you are suggesting lol.

Just that it is hard to sin against someone when you are genuinely praying for them
And just like you don't have to know someone to fantasize about them
You don't have to know someone to pray for them.
One simply does more good than the other

Upvote 0

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just that it is hard to sin against someone when you are genuinely praying for them
And just like you don't have to know someone to fantasize about them
You don't have to know someone to pray for them.
One simply does more good than the other

So I should be praying more for myself? When I pray lately I have been trying to make it a habit to pray for others since I am self-centered enough, but I usually do "throw" myself in there and ask for the Lord's blessing and forgiveness on myself as well. It's usually pretty vague though, I guess I don't specifically pray that the Lord help me deal with my lust on a daily basis. Do you think praying for this daily would be the best form of attack?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I "believe" I have, but then the devil comes and snatches it away over and over again.
Actually, the devil can not snatch away the Holy Spirit. We actually " quench" Him and His work in us because sin over takes love for the Father. He will not abandon you. As soon as you realize this His work can begin in you with a more humble heart.
Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I should be praying more for myself?

No - the next person you feel yourself lusting after or fantasizing after
Pray that God deliver them to safety, make His presence known to them
Heal the wounds of their hearts, deliver them from any addictions they may have
And work his Holy purpose in their lives.

Try it, see if it helps.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟243,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Part of this is breaking a physiological habit in the same way that you would stop smoking. Once you stop looking at inappropriate content or masturbating or smoking for long enough, your body stops craving the experience. Thus intermediate goals are important. Your periods of abstinence should be growing ever-longer with each relapse. I would also suggest checking out secular approaches, such as nofap.com.

Upvote 0

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Part of this is breaking a physiological habit in the same way that you would stop smoking. Once you stop looking at inappropriate content or masturbating or smoking for long enough, your body stops craving the experience. Thus intermediate goals are important. Your periods of abstinence should be growing ever-longer with each relapse. I would also suggest checking out secular approaches, such as nofap.com.

Yeah I was a part of the nofap community on reddit and read part of the yourbrainoninappropriate content book before trying to build a connection with God again. Now I am trying to build a connection and so the relapses feel even worse. I definitely feel more motivated if I abstain.. And it could be partially mentally illness but after I relapsed yesterday I tried to go for a run at night and a voice kept talking to me in my head saying all kinds of negative things. I just kept saying under my breath "Come Lord" and tried to pray for forgiveness but this negative voice wouldn't stop.

• Friendly
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0