• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

NathanbeNathan

Sep 19, 2016
Perth
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm 19 years old male and have struggled with homosexual desires for as long as I can remember. I live my life for God and fully want to be apart of his will for my life!
Though I still struggle with theses attractions, I know to act on these desires is outside of Gods perfect will for my life.
I want to know who else struggles with this because for almost all my life I have felt alone and isolate with this particular struggle.
I have tried to suppress the feeling but they don't go away, it's left me feeling discouraged and a lot of the time unworthy. I hope that one day I will break this off my life and that I would able to help others through this. I hate that most people who struggle are left feeling isolate like no one else struggles with the same thing and that's how I feel so I want to know who else struggles with this? Do you feel alone and what help is out there?

anonym00s

Sep 26, 2011
✟8,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm 19 years old male and have struggled with homosexual desires for as long as I can remember. I live my life for God and fully want to be apart of his will for my life!
Though I still struggle with theses attractions, I know to act on these desires is outside of Gods perfect will for my life.
I want to know who else struggles with this because for almost all my life I have felt alone and isolate with this particular struggle.
I have tried to suppress the feeling but they don't go away, it's left me feeling discouraged and a lot of the time unworthy. I hope that one day I will break this off my life and that I would able to help others through this. I hate that most people who struggle are left feeling isolate like no one else struggles with the same thing and that's how I feel so I want to know who else struggles with this? Do you feel alone and what help is out there?

I'm sorry that you feel so alone. I have dealt with this most of my life (I won't say my age, but it is closer to being your older brother than your father). The temptation comes and goes. I see the triggers for it so I try to avoid those. I have dealt with this directly mostly on my own - I don't tell anyone at all about it in real life. I did tell about it twice before, and for me that was a big mistake. I am not saying it would be a mistake for you to talk to someone about it, but I think you should consider that most people are more or less clueless when it comes to helping you out with this and may end up hurting you more.

I struggled so much with this (more than I realized) in years past. Now I recognize it more. I want to share a few things with you. They may or may not help you out, but perhaps they will give you some insight into this issue.

I have a hard time relating to other guys that have homosexual tendencies. I can more easily relate to heterosexual guys. I don't why this is exactly or if there is a name for it, but anytime I try to connect emotionally to guys with a homosexual background it frequently falls flat (and starts turning into something sinful unless I stop it). Heterosexual guys will bond with me and spend time with me with no problem.

I once met a very attractive looking guy (he was heterosexual) who I ended up living with as a roommate. I considered refusing to move in with this guy because I didn't think I would want to deal with the temptation and such. I ended up getting along relatively well with this guy such that I was able to have an emotional bond with him. After that my weird feelings about him were practically gone (i.e. down to a negligible amount). Also, he wasn't afraid of being a little touchy-feely from time to time in a good way (he didn't have a hint of homosexuality about him and was actively pursuing his girlfriend at the time). And he gave great hugs. Sure he was a jerk sometimes and many times got on my nerves. I had to confront him from time to time (see Matthew 18:15 in the Bible) and we would work it out fine. We also spent time together exercising. I considered him an overall good guy at the time and still keep in touch from time to time. One time he asked another guy he knew to rub his shoulder because it hurt. The other guy said some high-horse statement like "*I* would never put my hands on another man like that!" My friend basically said he was being ridiculous and my friend was right. I will add a caveat to that and say that if you honestly believe that an action is wrong, you shouldn't do it (regardless of whether I or another believer does so). But for myself (including my friend) I could do so in good conscience (no, I didn't get my shoulder rubbed because frankly it never hurt, but you get the idea). Read Romans 14 (seriously, read it if you have not already - it says in some cases that something can be wrong for one person but not another person and that you should not go against your conscience).

Contrast that to another guy I knew that had a homosexual background and was ok with some homosexual activity (I didn't know this at first about him and thought he was a believer the same as me). He was closed off to me emotionally when I was around him (but was always happy to have me around which I found odd since he seemed distant emotionally). He liked drinking and partying at clubs (two things I HATED). The confront-and-work-things-out dynamic did not exist with him like it did with the other guy. And this guy was only touchy-feely sometimes and in an awkward way (not necessarily sinful, but like it obviously didn't come natural to him). Overall (if you couldn't tell already), he was a bad influence on my life and if I were smarter I would have kept a safe distance from him. I am not saying I should have ignored him altogether, but that I should have done more to consider my own protection from sliding into some of the things that he allowed in his life. "Brethren, even if a man is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, lest you too be tempted." (Galations 6:1, emphasis mine).

There is something about homosexuality that actually prevented me from having the thing I really wanted - a bond with other guys and a positive image of myself as a man. There is nothing sinful about wanting a friend or best friend, or to hang out with and be one of the guys. Homosexuality is very good at sapping the life out of any relationship. It is so destructive and terrible when you see the fruit of it. It's a trick - you think it will satisfy, but it leaves you worse off than before (and, for some people, hooked). But I may be preaching to choir by telling you this.

One more thing, I don't know if you specifically hold this idea but if you do, I would get the notion out of my head that "if I have a homosexual temptation, it means that I am still homosexual". It is a recipe for failure and frustration. Consider that Jesus was tempted in the wilderness by satan, yet was without sin. Without sin, meaning He did nothing wrong. Also consider that Jesus said that lusting after a women in your heart is sin. So we can see there is a line between merely being tempted, and lusting after something. Being tempted is not a sin, whereas lusting after something in your heart is sin. For me it means that I have to keep a clean mind (a hard thing sometimes). I have to behave as though my mental desires were being acted out. Should I do XYZ action in real life? If the answer to that is no, then I should not be desiring/wanting it in my mind either.

I hope this helps Nathan; you are not alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JD4Christ

Sep 15, 2016
Dominican Republic
✟15,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello brother!

My name is Jose and I also struggle with same sex attraction since I was little! I actually opened a thread here concerning my last preoccupation abput my struggle with this! I have tu run out of the house right now but just wanted to let you know I know exactly how you feel.... It's so lonely and difficult but we are so lucky that we have found medias like this to find each other to support and follow Christ! I'd love to listen to your story one day and keep being accountable with each other! Blessings man! I will keep in contact with you. Keep strong I will be praying man!

Jose.

Reactions: Satanist.
Upvote 0

NathanbeNathan

Sep 19, 2016
Perth
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry that you feel so alone. I have dealt with this most of my life (I won't say my age, but it is closer to being your older brother than your father). The temptation comes and goes. I see the triggers for it so I try to avoid those. I have dealt with this directly mostly on my own - I don't tell anyone at all about it in real life. I did tell about it twice before, and for me that was a big mistake. I am not saying it would be a mistake for you to talk to someone about it, but I think you should consider that most people are more or less clueless when it comes to helping you out with this and may end up hurting you more.

I struggled so much with this (more than I realized) in years past. Now I recognize it more. I want to share a few things with you. They may or may not help you out, but perhaps they will give you some insight into this issue.

I have a hard time relating to other guys that have homosexual tendencies. I can more easily relate to heterosexual guys. I don't why this is exactly or if there is a name for it, but anytime I try to connect emotionally to guys with a homosexual background it frequently falls flat (and starts turning into something sinful unless I stop it). Heterosexual guys will bond with me and spend time with me with no problem.

I once met a very attractive looking guy (he was heterosexual) who I ended up living with as a roommate. I considered refusing to move in with this guy because I didn't think I would want to deal with the temptation and such. I ended up getting along relatively well with this guy such that I was able to have an emotional bond with him. After that my weird feelings about him were practically gone (i.e. down to a negligible amount). Also, he wasn't afraid of being a little touchy-feely from time to time in a good way (he didn't have a hint of homosexuality about him and was actively pursuing his girlfriend at the time). And he gave great hugs. Sure he was a jerk sometimes and many times got on my nerves. I had to confront him from time to time (see Matthew 18:15 in the Bible) and we would work it out fine. We also spent time together exercising. I considered him an overall good guy at the time and still keep in touch from time to time. One time he asked another guy he knew to rub his shoulder because it hurt. The other guy said some high-horse statement like "*I* would never put my hands on another man like that!" My friend basically said he was being ridiculous and my friend was right. I will add a caveat to that and say that if you honestly believe that an action is wrong, you shouldn't do it (regardless of whether I or another believer does so). But for myself (including my friend) I could do so in good conscience (no, I didn't get my shoulder rubbed because frankly it never hurt, but you get the idea). Read Romans 14 (seriously, read it if you have not already - it says in some cases that something can be wrong for one person but not another person and that you should not go against your conscience).

Contrast that to another guy I knew that had a homosexual background and was ok with some homosexual activity (I didn't know this at first about him and thought he was a believer the same as me). He was closed off to me emotionally when I was around him (but was always happy to have me around which I found odd since he seemed distant emotionally). He liked drinking and partying at clubs (two things I HATED). The confront-and-work-things-out dynamic did not exist with him like it did with the other guy. And this guy was only touchy-feely sometimes and in an awkward way (not necessarily sinful, but like it obviously didn't come natural to him). Overall (if you couldn't tell already), he was a bad influence on my life and if I were smarter I would have kept a safe distance from him. I am not saying I should have ignored him altogether, but that I should have done more to consider my own protection from sliding into some of the things that he allowed in his life. "Brethren, even if a man is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, lest you too be tempted." (Galations 6:1, emphasis mine).

There is something about homosexuality that actually prevented me from having the thing I really wanted - a bond with other guys and a positive image of myself as a man. There is nothing sinful about wanting a friend or best friend, or to hang out with and be one of the guys. Homosexuality is very good at sapping the life out of any relationship. It is so destructive and terrible when you see the fruit of it. It's a trick - you think it will satisfy, but it leaves you worse off than before (and, for some people, hooked). But I may be preaching to choir by telling you this.

One more thing, I don't know if you specifically hold this idea but if you do, I would get the notion out of my head that "if I have a homosexual temptation, it means that I am still homosexual". It is a recipe for failure and frustration. Consider that Jesus was tempted in the wilderness by satan, yet was without sin. Without sin, meaning He did nothing wrong. Also consider that Jesus said that lusting after a women in your heart is sin. So we can see there is a line between merely being tempted, and lusting after something. Being tempted is not a sin, whereas lusting after something in your heart is sin. For me it means that I have to keep a clean mind (a hard thing sometimes). I have to behave as though my mental desires were being acted out. Should I do XYZ action in real life? If the answer to that is no, then I should not be desiring/wanting it in my mind either.

I hope this helps Nathan; you are not alone.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate you sharing that with me and those verses!
Sometimes small things like this message you wrote can make a big difference.

Upvote 0

Nii Kobby

Jan 10, 2017
Accra-Ghana
✟7,797.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I share in your ordeal my bro. I have also been struggling with the same issue for as long as i can remember. I rely want to live for Christ but this feelings are just preventing me from achieving this. i sometimes ask God why am not normal. i try to isolate myself from anyone i feel am attracted to. unfortunately i have no one to talk to nor to help me out of this challenge.. but i pick myself up anytime i fall by praying for forgiveness... it would do me a lot of good if i could have someone to talk to...

Upvote 0

Inez1

Ines
Jan 16, 2017
Texas
✟15,360.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I share in your ordeal my bro. I have also been struggling with the same issue for as long as i can remember. I rely want to live for Christ but this feelings are just preventing me from achieving this. i sometimes ask God why am not normal. i try to isolate myself from anyone i feel am attracted to. unfortunately i have no one to talk to nor to help me out of this challenge.. but i pick myself up anytime i fall by praying for forgiveness... it would do me a lot of good if i could have someone to talk to...
I feel the same way you do. I know I can do so much to helo my church, or the youth. But at the same time I am afraid that one day they will find out about my tendencies and everyone is gong to turn away from me. I have really really close friends, I see them closer than my real brothers and I wish I could talk to them about this, but then I am afraid they will stop talking to me or something. I hate living like this, but maybe there is a reason for which I was born this way.

Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I feel the same way you do. I know I can do so much to helo my church, or the youth. But at the same time I am afraid that one day they will find out about my tendencies and everyone is gong to turn away from me. I have really really close friends, I see them closer than my real brothers and I wish I could talk to them about this, but then I am afraid they will stop talking to me or something. I hate living like this, but maybe there is a reason for which I was born this way.
Don't believe in the lie in today world you were born this way (on being gay). We live in a fallen world and were born to sin. Our sins were originally from the first humans Adam and Eve. Of course everyone has temptations and even the Lord Jesus Christ had temptations. But with Jesus he was not once fell into sin.

Well I used to feel about that way when I was younger and afraid that if people would know they will turn against me. Yet I eventually told my small group cell leader, my pastor and a few others from Church. They did not turn against from me. I do not regret telling them. Everyone has temptations and struggles.

I strongly encourage you to share your struggles with your pastor or a trusted Christian leader in your church. He can pray and support you. Of course the rest of the church do not need to know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IridescentLight

Feb 1, 2017
Florida
✟11,554.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I'm 18 and I'm struggling with it too. I suppress my feelings too, which I think makes it worse sometimes. I've finally told my brother about it and my mom and best friend knows, but I feel like no one understands what I'm going through.

This struggle to not act on my feelings is hard. It's daily. So yeah I feel alone. I've been trying to read my bible more, but I haven't had a lot of time with school.

I'd just like you to know that you aren't alone in this fight and that it's nice to know that there's someone around my age who deals with this. The Bible verse Isaiah 41:10 helps me. Also, there's a few songs by Tenth Avenue North, called "The Struggle" and "I Have This Hope" that make me feel less alone.

P.S. Um...you can start a conversation if you ever need to talk. Don't lose hope.
- IL

Upvote 0

deshawncdap

Dec 7, 2012
Greensboro, NC
✟8,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Nathan!
I saw this today, and my heart began feeling tangled. What I mean is I feel for you, and I know how captivating that can be. I'm 24, so I'm not much older than you, and I know how living with sexual desires can be challenging.

I've struggled with being attracted to the same sex for 14 years now. Though I have had very challenging and unforgiving days, I have to say it has been a blessing that I have the opportunity to serve the Church and serve Christ through my testimony. As Paul says, we are called to take up our cross daily and follow Christ. Easier said than done, right?

Two things that has helped me are knowing I'm not alone (I have males friends who struggled with same sex attraction are married to their wives, happily, and liberated as well as friends who are celibate like me). It is hard to say no to desires of sin in general. Homosexuality may have different consequences than other sins, but it still is sinful and leaves hurt and brokenness which leads me to my second thing!

I used to think I had to force myself to be "straight." At this point, I absolutely abhor the question, "Are you gay or straight?" especially from people in the church. Sexuality does not define us as believers; Christ does. We are called to be saints and we are once we have our new spiritual life in Him. That said, I hope you don't feel like you have to hide or suppress yourself. If anything, I personally had a breakthrough when I accepted that I had same sex attractions. The next question was, "So what do I do with it?" When I understood that God had a plan for me and same sex attraction was not a part of it, I began to pursue Him more and I seek to know Him more. I don't do it because I want to rid myself of the attraction for the attraction is not the sin. I do it because I want to love Him, love the Church, and love others as I love myself. I'm open for messaging if you want to talk. At this point, I've experienced many victories rather than failures. Don't shame yourself for something you can't control. I believe that God will guide you. Praying for you!

Upvote 0

John Goodness

Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2017
Chicago
✟50,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just joined the forums yesterday and came across this thread. I want younger folks to know that keeping something in the dark will make it stronger. The better antidote is to bring it to light, let Christ light shine bright into any darkness, and you will be given the strength and wisdom to deal with this.

I'm 41. My first SSA I recognize was from watching inappropriate content when I was 13 years old. Kept this in the dark, got married, had kids, and I thought I'll bring this shame to the grave with no one knowing. But I got convicted to share it with my wife 6 years ago, and there was too much shame for both of us that we kept it to ourselves. This year, our marriage is a mess, and we are contemplating separation.

Upvote 0

John Goodness

Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2017
Chicago
✟50,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It took this threat to my marriage for me to open up to our pastor, a Christian counselor, and my siblings about my life long struggle with SSA. What I'm finding is that it takes courage to open up, but it is very liberating to do so. I could only get support if I am humble enough to ask help.

I'm also confronting my 29 years of addiction to inappropriate contentography and going through a RECOVERY program at our church. It's helping a lot. God is not done with me yet. And I have more hope than I've ever felt in a long time.

Upvote 0

John Goodness

Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2017
Chicago
✟50,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My marriage is not stable just yet. I realize the harm I caused myself and my wife; along with my wife's justified thinking of me betraying and deceiving her for so many years. But I feel relief that my struggle is out in the open, and I have a small community of family and friends cheering me on my recovery journey.

I have a lot of hope seeing teenagers in this forum able to discuss their struggles with SSA. Learn from my mistake, and don't keep it in the dark. You are worth being helped and being supported. Jesus wants you to reach out, He loves you so much He wants His family to share your burden. You are not alone.

Ultimately, those who struggle with SSA may realize that their goal is not becoming heterosexual, but to become more Christ-like in their daily lives. That's certainly the goal for myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Young86

May 26, 2018
Serbia
✟8,257.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am a woman and I also struggle with homosexuality for years and years. I am very tired and I need help, a talk with someone who goes through the same. I learned some things because I follow a therapy. Please if someone wants to talk with me, we can struggle together. <staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0