• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling with faith.

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have been really struggling with believing for some time. I can talk and discuss doctrine, theology etc. and read a lot on that, and that seems safer to me. But it seems to me like I am trying too much to believe in my conscious mind, and living in theories. I have studied and read within nearly every sort of theology and philosophy - from Calvinism to Existentialism to Neo-Orthodoxy... I get the impression from some christians (not all) that faith is a much, much deeper thing with them. Its like my faith is too much connected to activities like praying, too behavioural, too external as it were, when prayer needs to be something which is from deep within, because one has faith.

I have had traumatic events in my life ans suspect i have some dissociation and wonder if that might be part of the reason?

Last edited:

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Friend, you talk about all this searching and studying of deeper theological issues, but have you ever come to Christ by way of the simplicity of the gospel? All these other things fall without the gospel, and it is the power of God for salvation.

What is the Gospel?

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Friend, you talk about all this searching and studying of deeper theological issues, but have you ever come to Christ by way of the simplicity of the gospel? All these other things fall without the gospel, and it is the power of God for salvation.

What is the Gospel?

I certainly thought I had at one time. I don't know now if I have lost faith, or if its the dissociation.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,009,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You need to get back to basics my friend. Strip away everything to just prayer.

Forget about reading this and that. Worrying about theology and what others do. Just offer up your sufferings, thoughts etc to God.

Pray, and dont worry my friend.

• Friendly
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have been really struggling with believing for some time. I can talk and discuss doctrine, theology etc. and read a lot on that, and that seems safer to me. But it seems to me like I am trying too much to believe in my conscious mind, and living in theories. I have studied and read within nearly every sort of theology and philosophy - from Calvinism to Existentialism to Neo-Orthodoxy... I get the impression from some christians (not all) that faith is a much, much deeper thing with them. Its like my faith is too much connected to activities like praying, too behavioural, too external as it were, when prayer needs to be something which is from deep within, because one has faith.

I have had traumatic events in my life ans suspect i have some dissociation and wonder if that might be part of the reason?
Make God your friend, best friend you treat like a friend.

Ask God about me and him. I tell him exactly whats on my mind. It ain't always peaches and cream. But, I told him, "do I do that to anyone else? Nope. You got in bed with me, a Bipolar, and know how we are so don't *itch if I let you have it one day and am in love with you the next." I tell God what I think about church, what I think about him, etc., etc. I thank him when he does something. He knows my rants aren't personal, cause I figure out he's not to blame, but if he wants my undying love, he's got to take my wrath on occasion. Actually, I think God has figured out if I'm mad with him and yell at him, we're cool in the end. But, if I say, "fine, whatever," just like a woman, I'm really mad. I told him, "preachers have caused most of my problems. From now on, I ain't listening to any of them."

That's what God wants--friendship.

The rest is a bonus to him.

Upvote 0