Struggling with adultery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This person was saying that this affair happened "out of the blue". Why would this person at work say "He doesn't deserve you," and, "I can give you things that he can't." if she was not discussing her personal life with him. No, there is no excuse for this happening. But as union, when there are problems, the fault should be shared and not passed on to others. Yes, there were others involved but to try to come out of this situation as though he were blameless is not going to help any healing here. What needs to happen is to try to find out why this even happened, how she could have even felt this way, and try not to harbor such horrid thoughts about this person if there is any chance of reconciliation. Yes, we all sin. Your sarcasm is noted. But the point that I was trying to make was that in order to forgive, you have to forget. This relationship has taken a major shock and there are reasons. To just say "Oh well, she sinned, everyone sins" is not going to solve the problem or keep it from happening again.

Upvote 0

WhitBit

Mirror of His Heart
Feb 5, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟610.00
you are making stuff up you know nothing about. you don't know these people.

Whoa, whoa. Dusk wasn't making stuff up, he/she was simply commenting on a possible problem that quite possibly could have contributed to the sin in the first place. The thread asked for any comments...DuskDove gave his/hers. :) Please - easy on the flaming...we're all brothers and sisters in Christ.

Whitney

Upvote 0
I already have.......I will also pray for you. It is unfortunate when an opinion offered from the womans point of view, to actually have the couple look into why this happened, in hopes of keeping the marriage solid from here on out goes beyond your realm of thinking, but, the only one I am concerned with understanding my point, well, frankly isnt you.
Youre right, I dont know these people, I just know this person spent alot of time and effort spewing out his guts to get an opinion, and that is exactly what I did. And no one asked your opinion to be the official approval monitor of people's personal viewpoints.
I appreciate your attempt and trying to shut me up, but, sorry, better men than you have tried!!!

Upvote 0

Crusader Abrahm

Mar 2, 2002
✟484.00
hi, whitbit. how are you? :wave:
i'm not trying to flame anybody. i just think there are too many amature psychs out there and they tend to stir things up that do not even exist. they say things about people and they don't even know anything about them. i also, notice they tend to be gossips.
sorry. and i won't even respond to the above posters evil comment to me.

Upvote 0
I may have been a wee bit harsh on Crusader. BUT I also feel that if this person had wanted only prayer instead of some help and an opinion, he would have just noted a simple prayer request for him and his wife. But, that is not what he did, he gave every detail for us to formulate an opinion. Which is what I did.
The Lord will help those who seek his assistance.

Upvote 0
Please, never think that just because you do what you're supposed to do that you will be protected from all harm. To think that is only fooling yourself. We suffer more here than unbelievers do sometimes, simply because we must hold on to our faith no matter WHAT comes our way. This is not heaven and you cannot go through this life without pain and suffering. Grow from this...learn to love even more.

Upvote 0

Crusader Abrahm

Mar 2, 2002
✟484.00
Originally posted by NoahsRaven
Please, never think that just because you do what you're supposed to do that you will be protected from all harm. To think that is only fooling yourself. We suffer more here than unbelievers do sometimes, simply because we must hold on to our faith no matter WHAT comes our way. This is not heaven and you cannot go through this life without pain and suffering. Grow from this...learn to love even more.
enough said, AMEN

Upvote 0

WhitBit

Mirror of His Heart
Feb 5, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟610.00
That's okay - I just want to try and prevent the spark of war from being fanned...

And it apparently isn't working...

In a thread that is posted for the purpose of INDIVIDUAL COMMENT, it's important to keep in mind that not everyone's comment is going to be the same, and not everyone's comment is going to be good or bad. Please respect each others' positions and not resort to petty stuff...and please stick to the topic from here on out :) Take care of personal differences over PM ...so as to not get sidetracked from the intent of the threads and the goal of the boards :)

This board is for fellowship! :) Take advantage of it - I'll reiterate...we are ALL brothers and sisters in Christ! Speak in His love, and you cannot go wrong! ;)

God bless, and welcome!

Upvote 0
My advice. Well first of all I am praying for you and your situation. I won't go into detail here , but I have experienced betrayel in marriage.
I don't know how you will get from point A to point B , but you need to somehow. Point B is where your wive is treated like the prodigal son who has returned. Where love and honor and respect is heaped upon her.lavished upon her.I'm talking about celebrating, not tolerating. A person will not stay where they are not honored and loved.If she has to live with shame , it will kill the relationship.
I know this is terribly hard ,but your role is to be her husband who is on her side , not against her. It has to come from the heart in a way that celebrates her and makes her feel honored and not like someone you are tolerating out of duty.
If you make it all about your struggles , you will put a burden on her that she will have a terrible time handling. It is your struggle together as a couple. As two forgiven prodigals before your heavenly father.
She did a brave thing to tell you all and not hide it. She trusted you with her heart and now it is your choice what you will do with that. She humbled herself and made herself vunerable to you. Your wive should not be made to feel 2nd class or like she has to somehow "pay for" or make up for her wrongs. Try putting yourself in her shoes if you can.
The principle of the prodigal son story is that G-d in his love towards us not only forgave us. But He lavished love and honor and celebration on us. Your wive's heart has been humbled and softened through this and you are provided with a wonderful oppotunity to build an intimate bond by being there with her at her lowest point when she is vunerable. Consider how G-d treated us.
Or to put it in the words of my mother. "don't kick somone when they are down." But Jesus gives us a model to follow that goes further than that. not only did he not kick us, he came and loved us with no walls in his heart. He did it while we were yet sinners. Read Ephesians 5 where it says to follow the example of Christ in laying down our lives for our wive's.
As I said, I will pray because getting from point A where you are to point B where your wife needs you to be will take a real move of G-d. I am not glossing over the process of healing that you will need, but believe that you witholding love from your wife is like shooting yourself in the foot and will not help you heal.
One of my favorite verses is Romans 8:28.The ultimate fulfillment of that verse was Jesus dying on the cross. What was intended for evil was turned to the greatest good. Not only is your marriage not destroyed and ruined already. you have the opportunity to build something good out of all this. intimacy and trust can be built . But not at arms lentgh with all your walls up.
This is your greatest oppotunity to show your love for your wive that you have ever had.
Don't be lukewarm in your forgiveness but attack it with the same zeal that you approach your love for G-d. Make it your project to love your wive with all your heart. Not half-hearted but with all your heart.
I sincerely hope this helps. It will take time, but try to put your energies in directions that are proactive and not just reacting. That build up and not things that would do further damage.
In Christian Love,
Ben

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
Ok, I've been reading and learning from this thread, GOOD STUFF!!

My question is where is Shark?

Shark, you have some Great advice in your thread, please let us know if you have read any of this. You have sparked a hot topic and I for one am interested in how your situation is going and what you think of all this great advice.

If you read this, please let us know.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Crusader Abrahm

Mar 2, 2002
✟484.00
Originally posted by Badfish
Ok, I've been reading and learning from this thread, GOOD STUFF!!

My question is where is Shark?

Shark, you have some Great advice in your thread, please let us know if you have read any of this. You have sparked a hot topic and I for one am interested in how your situation is going and what you think of all this great advice.

If you read this, please let us know.

God Bless

yes, lets hear it for shark! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
...oh and Duskdove and Crusader Abrahm, I love you both! Thank God almighty for not only the freedom of speech, but also for the courage to speak your minds, not all have such a beautiful gift as to vocalize their opinion on such a delicate subject...and once again, back to SHARK WHERE ARE YOU??? How's the situation??? ;)

Upvote 0

Shark

Feb 25, 2002
Visit site
✟15,312.00
Faith
Charismatic
When I posted the story 10 years ago, I guess I was just wanting to vent. Today I find myself reminded of the past, and found some of my old writings, and wondered if this was still out on the internet. I'm also rather surprised that I remembered the password for my old account.

Thought it's not all sunshine and roses, I thought a follow up might encourage some others that all is not lost when something this painful happens.

I received many thoughtful and I believe sincere offers of assistance and other responses in this thread and via private messages. Thanks to you all and thanks for the prayers. For those that have or will go through a similar situation, I hope God blesses your heart with healing and peace. It was comforting, alarming, and eye opening to see how common adultery actually is. There are a lot of broken hearts out there.

what I've noticed from your comments is that you look OUTSIDE of the relationship to find ways and means to console yourself. Was this the case BEFORE the affair?

... You also make statements that make one feel as if you are DEMANDING so much from her and the relationship.

The judgements made against her in this public format by you were VERY harsh.

...But I am quite sure that she has no idea that you have posted this situation for the entire world to read. Even though it IS anonimous, would she be happy that you did this? Would you NOT be deceiving her by this action?

This was one of the best responses I read. Some insightful things but also some that missed the mark. First of all, the guy's motivation for saying whatever he said was likely because he wanted to have sex with an attractive woman. Nonetheless, I do think that I look outside the relationship a lot for recreation and especially during that time, I spent way too much of my time entertaining myself and not being a productive person. I wasn't much help with housework back then and I wasted a lot of time playing video games. While it certainly doesn't justify adultery, it left her feeling used and lonely. I honestly don't think I judged her to harshly; this was by far and still is the most painful experience of my life, done by the person I trusted the most. I am not sure if I ever mentioned this posting to her, but I honestly don't think she would care much.

So what happened after? Well, things were not good for a long time. Early on it was difficult, but I worked to refrain from using this against her in unrelated disagreements. I had to evaluate and realize some things about myself. I was in my early twenties when this initially happened, and realized that I was still a kid in a lot of ways.

After around 2 years of publicly pretending this didn't happen, I was pretty messed up inside. I finally told my wife that I needed some time to live alone. We separated. During that time, she began "dating" other men (some of them married, some of them from our former church). I was a mess. I started divorce proceedings, but after all we had invested, I just wasn't willing to let her go. I couldn't bear the thought of running into her at a grocery store and us having separate lives. I basically begged for her to come back and change her lifestyle.

During my time living alone, I did a LOT of growing up. From that aspect, it was one of the best things that I ever did in my life. I had transitioned from a kid living with my dad to being a kid living with my wife. I wasn't as responsible in life as I should have been and it left her feeling like she had to pick up the slack. Learning to be an adult didn't happen for me until I lived on my own. I now think every person should live by themselves for at least 6-12 months in their early adult life. It was rough because I was so depressed, but some old friends helped me along my way. I basically was in shambles and had to rebuild myself from the inside out. Reality was that I was not nearly as great as I thought I was! I realized that I had to do things myself to make my situation better. No one was going to do it for me. I identified several key areas in my life and resolved to improve myself. The results have been fantastic for me as an individual.

So about 3 years after the initial incident, we were back together, but it was HARD. It was a difficult time, as we both had a lot of emotional damage to deal with. We're both very different now. I'm certainly a lot less naive than I used to be and I would say my heart is much harder as well.

Perhaps I shouldn't write this on a forum likes this, but I am being honest. My faith in Christianity has definitely dwindled. I still believe in God, but I am not nearly as dogmatic as I was 10 years ago. I am tolerant of many religions, and not really a fan of any particular religion. Whereas I used to think God was going to just bless me and carry me along to prosperity, I now rely on myself. I mean, if a family member is sick or something, I may still say some prayers but I don't pray or attend church regularly anymore. I was so sheltered growing up that I thought people you went to church with could be trusted. After what I have seen, I just don't trust people much anymore. Also, I tend to believe that people really don't know much when it comes to God, spirituality, afterlife, and religion. Myself included. The ones that say they have the answers are likely the ones that should be afforded the most skepticism. I live my life by trying to be kind and honest when dealing with people and business. I hope that my kindness is rewarded if/when God judges my soul.

I noticed in my previous writings how I wanted to pin things on Satan. I don't feel that way now. I feel that I was way overconfident in the strength of our marriage. Since I was not breaking "bible rules" with my behavior, I thought I was doing right in my life overall but in reality I was falling short in some areas. For sure, I was not providing nearly enough attention to her, and let's face it, if you are a young man bored on the job for 40 hours a week, would you rather look for more work to do or flirt with the pretty girl next to you? He had the opportunity to create this false impression that he wanted to shower her with attention and make her feel special. As soon as he got what he wanted, he was out of her life and she was even more alone than ever, having severely damaged the most significant human relationship in her life. She had to learn a difficult lesson that giving away her body in exchange for approval and attention made her an easy target for liars that didn't care about the years of emotional damage they left her to deal with.

Since then, my views on sexuality have certainly changed as well. I have remained faithful to my wife because that is what I promised to do, but I am very tolerant of other views. Don't mean to be rude considering this forum, but I question the wisdom of saving sex for marriage and I tend to think living with someone before marriage can be a very healthy thing. Not learning about potentially major compatibility issues until after marriage is a huge gamble, especially now that divorce is socially acceptable.

It was around 6 years later when things had finally gotten better between my wife and I, and we had our first child. I think we have an awesome family. There are still rough and depressing days that stem from these events--especially Valentine's day. "Forgive and forget"? I forgive her but it impossible for us to forget. It was years before she could see past her own guilt, but doing so helped us deal with other ways we were impacted. Even though I don't hold it over her head, the things that happened have shaped who we are and we must still deal with and talk about what happened sometimes. My trust for people in general is just not the same. The good times far outnumber the bad times in our relationship and I still love my wife and am so glad for the family we have.

I also now realize that you can never really know what another person is willing to do.

Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
OK, Why am I in this handbasket?
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You started to commit to one another at a very young age. And if you are all that each other has known for all these years, it isn't really all that surprising that she's looking elsewhere because her sexuality and sense of self and sensuality has only known you all this time.
And the same can be said for you as well. Marrying as virgins with only one another to experience the first everything, is a lovely relationship. However, there is what's called a seven year itch.
And while that is a common term it actually has validity in body chemistry and the chemistry of attraction.

After awhile those chemicals, pheromones that attract us to one another so that all we see is the other person, starts to subside. It takes about 7 years. For some it lasts a bit longer. For others it can miss the 7 year mark. However, they do come and they do subside.

And being so young, committing yourselves to forever before you even knew who that adult sexual part of yourselves was in making that promise, is naive. Optimistic and very very inexperienced.

Of course. You were virgins. Now she's feeling something new for someone else. Because all she's ever known is you and that isn't who she is, when she's with you. She's her own person as you are too.

The adversary doesn't win if you divorce. The adversary wins if you force yourself to live in a relationship where one of you isn't bound in the joy and the commitment that marriage covenants promise one another.

Taking those vows; "...till death us do part." Seems do-able at the time. However, in a bad marriage, in a marriage where one partner is already leaving either in mind, emotion or through adultery, there are a great many ways to die.

This video was offered by another member on this forum to a member who faced somewhat of the same conflict you are now. I'd never heard this sermon (short version here) before however, I do find Bishop TD Jakes inspiring. I hope this helps your heart to find peace.:hug:

*And there are additional related videos that may help you further, included in the side bar of this feature*

Let Them Walk - Bishop T.D. Jakes - YouTube

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.