Rachel121

Feb 20, 2016
Horsham, PA
✟15,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  1. I kind of feel like Crown's song "Who am I?". God is amazing and I need to put my trust in him but I am have not been doing that. Instead recently, I have been on this kick where I let my anxiety consume me. I tell myself I can do this on my own, but I can't and really "I am a flower quickly fading, Here today and gone tomorrow". To be more specific, I am struggling with figuring out my future. I am a junior in high school, and the stress of GPA's, scholarships, athletics, driving tests, and figuring out a career is taking its toll. Instead of laying down my stress before the Lord, I have been wobbling to carry it.

Many of you will say this next part is bizarre, but I have developed a disorder called Trichotillomania. Its a shameful disorder where I pull out my eyebrows and eyelashes. Just like a cutter doesn't feel pain, the same goes with the pulling. Some of you will say, just stop pulling your hair. Well it isn't that easy. It's a bad psychological habit ingrained into my brain that temporarily releases stress with each pull and sometimes I don't even notice myself doing it. I used to wear hats in 6th grade to hide my missing eyebrows and now I try to cover it with make-up. I am ashamed and I need God's mercy to save me. This world will be full of Satan's attempts to make my life miserable. He whispers into my ear "Rachel you can stop pulling on your own". I can't do things on my own because I am too weak but "That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I amweak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10. I am going to try to dive deeper into God's word. This way anytime I feel the urge to pull, I can remember God's word because I know God hears "me when I'm calling... catch(es) me when I'm falling And.. told me who I am...I am yours." Please pray for me as I embark on my journey of learning trust God.

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Trichotillomania might induce feelings of shame, but it's not a shameful disorder. Nor is it one caused by Satan to wreak misery on your life. It's also not caused by weakness, and it cannot be willed away. Your mind is a part of your body, and disorders within it need to be properly treated the way diabetes or another medical condition would. Trich is a recognized, chronic Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; it is not an affliction caused by anything you've done, it is not sinful, and it likely will not go away through prayer alone. One of the former leaders of my youth ministry suffered from Trich from her preteen years through her mid-30s because she was under the misguided belief that it was merely a matter of self-control. She intensely prayed and read Scripture, and she passionately loathed herself and thought she was weak of faith and character because it did not bring about the deeply yearned for healing. She also tried a massive range of self-treatments, none of which brought sustaining relief. Her well-intentioned but misinformed family and friends were perpetually throwing fuel on the fire in her mind by chiding her, telling her to pray harder, and leading her to believe it was all within her control. She finally sought professional treatment after decades of distress, and it lead to a remarkable improvement in her life. After being plagued with insecurity and anxiety that incapacitated her from living her life fully, she finally grew confidence, attained peace, and blossomed into herself. For her, Habit Reversal Training along with medication was transformative. http://ocdla.com/trichotillomania She also felt much more confident and capable of facing the world when she invested in a comfortable, attractive wig and synthetic brows. You have access to information and support from other Trich supporters that she did not have 20 years ago. Seek it out. You are a wonderfully created person of worth, and I beg you to please not be unkind or harsh to yourself.

There's a lovely, talented YouTuber named Beckie who has chronicled her experiences with Trich for years. She is a film student who makes clever videos where she's playing different characters all in the same frame to make her point. Perhaps you could share them with those in your life who might not understand what Trich is.

As for the other worries, ((((((hugs)))))). Your junior year is stressful, and your feelings are valid. And they are incredibly common. The one silver lining of the anxieties is that they are the result of care and mindfulness about yourself and your future, which is infinitely better than apathetic drifting. The pressure of achieving strong grades so that you can increase your chances of earning a spot at a good college combined with all the obligations and stresses of the now can feel like a tidal wave knocking you down. You have to learn how to surf it, which means finding your focus and your balance.
Your future is vitally important, but the best way to prepare yourself for it is by making the most of yourself in the present. You do not have to figure out your career plans in the 11th grade. The President of Stanford has joked that the most popular major for Freshman is "I don't Know" and the second is "I've Changed My Mind." Time and experience will help you to learn and grow into yourself. I do think it's very important to consider your goals and how to navigate towards achieving them, but look to what is directly ahead of you rather than way down the course. For now, put your energy into fulfilling your fullest potential in your classes and preparing for college. Also give yourself permission to just have fun and soak up this time of your life. You are not a flower quickly fading. You are coming into bloom. Cherish it.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I couldn't have said it better myself. Stanfordella gave you an excellent advice (like always!).

You know, we're just 17. It's normal that we don't know who we are. And this is reassuring. Imagine if, at 80 years old, we wouldn't have anything more to discover about ourselves.. How boring our lives would be.
We are not yet blooming flowers. Any of us on the Teen Area. We would lie if we pretended we have already bloomed. You are not yet an adult, not yet a woman, you have not reached yet your humanity. We have to learn, study, and be curious about anything to grow up. Your studies has not to be stressful, but a pleasure. Calm down and enjoy your youth! You need to learn how to deal with your stress and then, you would know what to do for your trichotillomania. The teenager age (and the stress that often comes with this period) is not the work of Satan but a normal period of life. You will never be an adult and reach your humanity if you don't get through this age of life. Keep your head high!

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry you're dealing with this disorder & so much stress. I'm also a junior, and I have felt exactly as you have. I bet most of your friends have too. They just might not have shared their feelings w you. I agree that Ella gave excellent advice. Maybe there's a place like the one in the link close to you that could help you out. Thehehe is totally right too! Think about how many ppl say they wish they could be teens again. We're so lucky that we're teens now. Try to enjoy it. You're definitely not past your bloom!

Upvote 0

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Your faith is strong. You will be alright because you are following God's path. He will be with you. I have OCD and He has been my help in dealing with it. No matter disorder or disease ails us, Christ is stronger than it all and will always be for us when we fall, just like that song you posted says. "Even to your old age I am He, and even to hoar hairs will I carry you, I have made, and I will bear, even I will carry, and will deliver you," Isaiah 46:4

Upvote 0

Neari

Neari
Feb 9, 2017
Earth
✟20,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  1. I kind of feel like Crown's song "Who am I?". God is amazing and I need to put my trust in him but I am have not been doing that. Instead recently, I have been on this kick where I let my anxiety consume me. I tell myself I can do this on my own, but I can't and really "I am a flower quickly fading, Here today and gone tomorrow". To be more specific, I am struggling with figuring out my future. I am a junior in high school, and the stress of GPA's, scholarships, athletics, driving tests, and figuring out a career is taking its toll. Instead of laying down my stress before the Lord, I have been wobbling to carry it.

Many of you will say this next part is bizarre, but I have developed a disorder called Trichotillomania. Its a shameful disorder where I pull out my eyebrows and eyelashes. Just like a cutter doesn't feel pain, the same goes with the pulling. Some of you will say, just stop pulling your hair. Well it isn't that easy. It's a bad psychological habit ingrained into my brain that temporarily releases stress with each pull and sometimes I don't even notice myself doing it. I used to wear hats in 6th grade to hide my missing eyebrows and now I try to cover it with make-up. I am ashamed and I need God's mercy to save me. This world will be full of Satan's attempts to make my life miserable. He whispers into my ear "Rachel you can stop pulling on your own". I can't do things on my own because I am too weak but "That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I amweak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10. I am going to try to dive deeper into God's word. This way anytime I feel the urge to pull, I can remember God's word because I know God hears "me when I'm calling... catch(es) me when I'm falling And.. told me who I am...I am yours." Please pray for me as I embark on my journey of learning trust God.

This is a super late response but.. Wow, I never knew there was a name for that.. To be honest.. In 6th grade I had this strange obsession with plucking the hair on my eyebrows and forehead.. Fortunately I overcame it after several months though.. I feel better knowing it was never just me.. I hope you've overcome it now, too.:blush::yellowheart:

Reactions: Rachel121
Upvote 0

Rachel121

Feb 20, 2016
Horsham, PA
✟15,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Trichotillomania might induce feelings of shame, but it's not a shameful disorder. Nor is it one caused by Satan to wreak misery on your life. It's also not caused by weakness, and it cannot be willed away. Your mind is a part of your body, and disorders within it need to be properly treated the way diabetes or another medical condition would. Trich is a recognized, chronic Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; it is not an affliction caused by anything you've done, it is not sinful, and it likely will not go away through prayer alone. One of the former leaders of my youth ministry suffered from Trich from her preteen years through her mid-30s because she was under the misguided belief that it was merely a matter of self-control. She intensely prayed and read Scripture, and she passionately loathed herself and thought she was weak of faith and character because it did not bring about the deeply yearned for healing. She also tried a massive range of self-treatments, none of which brought sustaining relief. Her well-intentioned but misinformed family and friends were perpetually throwing fuel on the fire in her mind by chiding her, telling her to pray harder, and leading her to believe it was all within her control. She finally sought professional treatment after decades of distress, and it lead to a remarkable improvement in her life. After being plagued with insecurity and anxiety that incapacitated her from living her life fully, she finally grew confidence, attained peace, and blossomed into herself. For her, Habit Reversal Training along with medication was transformative. Trichotillomania Treatment - OCD Center of Los Angeles She also felt much more confident and capable of facing the world when she invested in a comfortable, attractive wig and synthetic brows. You have access to information and support from other Trich supporters that she did not have 20 years ago. Seek it out. You are a wonderfully created person of worth, and I beg you to please not be unkind or harsh to yourself.

There's a lovely, talented YouTuber named Beckie who has chronicled her experiences with Trich for years. She is a film student who makes clever videos where she's playing different characters all in the same frame to make her point. Perhaps you could share them with those in your life who might not understand what Trich is.

As for the other worries, ((((((hugs)))))). Your junior year is stressful, and your feelings are valid. And they are incredibly common. The one silver lining of the anxieties is that they are the result of care and mindfulness about yourself and your future, which is infinitely better than apathetic drifting. The pressure of achieving strong grades so that you can increase your chances of earning a spot at a good college combined with all the obligations and stresses of the now can feel like a tidal wave knocking you down. You have to learn how to surf it, which means finding your focus and your balance.
Your future is vitally important, but the best way to prepare yourself for it is by making the most of yourself in the present. You do not have to figure out your career plans in the 11th grade. The President of Stanford has joked that the most popular major for Freshman is "I don't Know" and the second is "I've Changed My Mind." Time and experience will help you to learn and grow into yourself. I do think it's very important to consider your goals and how to navigate towards achieving them, but look to what is directly ahead of you rather than way down the course. For now, put your energy into fulfilling your fullest potential in your classes and preparing for college. Also give yourself permission to just have fun and soak up this time of your life. You are not a flower quickly fading. You are coming into bloom. Cherish it.

Upvote 0

Rachel121

Feb 20, 2016
Horsham, PA
✟15,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you everyone! I posted this a while ago in a fit of despair to vent my feelings and I never checked back up on it (I know that was stupid). It has been two years and I praise God for helping me to find a new home in college and show me where he wants me to plant His seed. I look back at my junior year and I see how silly it was to be so stressed over such trivial manners. I also look back at how bad my Trichotillomania was and it makes realize how broken we all are. For some of us our struggles are not as visible as Trichotillomania, but they are still there. But, it is God who takes our struggles and shapes them into a plan that sometimes we do not see or enjoy. Through my Trichotillomania, I was able to find a love for psychology and learn how to help people who struggle. God has shown me through my disorder a career path in occupational therapy. Through the stress and struggles of my junior year it has pushed me to see that God has given me a seed to plant in His Kingdom.

God was saying to me, “You think you’re waiting on me? I’m waiting on you! I’m waiting for you to plant a seed.” I see know that I am only beginning to plant that seed and I can't wait for God to water it and to nourish it. For those who struggle with Trichotillomania or any disorder for that manner, know that it is recoverable and that you can live a normal life without shame or fear. The first step is accepting that you have a disorder and to work from there. For those still in high school, seek a psychologist or therapist. I never did this and I wish I did because I would have stopped my Trichotillomania sooner. When I went to college, I started my life over and this excitement of a new life made my Trichotillomania less severe. Having a roommate and studying with teammates and friends in college makes it so you are never alone. For me having someone constantly 'watching" me, gave me the strength to vent out my stress without pulling out my hair. In addition to this, developing a germ phobia helps you to stop pulling out your eyelashes. You cannot get sick in college is a motto I must live by because you cannot miss practices as an athlete or miss class even if you are sick. I still struggle from Trichotillomania from time to time, but God has shown me a way to heal. I more aware of my triggers and I am excited for God's seed to grow in my new home.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rachel, thank you for your beautifully worded, uplifting update. You've turned your wounds into profound wisdom. You're embodying Romans 5:3-5. The ability to take your hurts and heartaches and use them to refine and strengthen you so that you can then help others with their hurts and heartaches is an asset that will benefit you and so many you encounter throughout your life.

We've never met but I feel proud of you, and I'm certain those who do have you in their life are very proud of you, too. Keep shining. :blacksunrays:

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums