• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling to trust in Christ alone

Jacob Black

Jan 10, 2020
Utrecht
✟19,669.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I struggle to trust in Christ alone for my salvation, even though I know he's the only way to eternal life. I've struggled with scrupulosity over the past year and I've recently started to take medication (Fluoxetine). It helped to reduce my problem a lot, but I still have this heavy burden in my mind that is making me doubt my salvation. Namely that I'm not doing enough to call myself a Christian. I want to do good works out of love for the Lord since He has done everything to obtain it for me, but I find myself doing the complete opposite: doing good works and religious deeds in order to obtain my salvation. And it's very frustrating. It makes me feel lost and I don't know how to overcome it. It certainly is improving after I started to take medication but legalism is something I still struggle with a lot. I hope that the Lord will forgive me for that sin and that He is still willing to save me from the due justice I deserve.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I want to do good works out of love for the Lord since He has done everything to obtain it for me, but I find myself doing the complete opposite: doing good works and religious deeds in order to obtain my salvation. And it's very frustrating. It makes me feel lost and I don't know how to overcome it. It certainly is improving

May I suggest that when struggling with OCD you remember what your therapist or the post '25 tips' says about dealing with OCD.

Remember also that you are not a Christian because you feel that you are or are not one.
You are saved because Jesus saved you.

Lastly works cover an enormous range of activities, from helping little old ladies to cross buisy streets through raising millions for charity to spending time praying for those in need of prayer.

Upvote 0

Hopeful37

Mar 20, 2020
Somewhere
✟49,318.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I struggle to trust in Christ alone for my salvation, even though I know he's the only way to eternal life. I've struggled with scrupulosity over the past year and I've recently started to take medication (Fluoxetine). It helped to reduce my problem a lot, but I still have this heavy burden in my mind that is making me doubt my salvation. Namely that I'm not doing enough to call myself a Christian. I want to do good works out of love for the Lord since He has done everything to obtain it for me, but I find myself doing the complete opposite: doing good works and religious deeds in order to obtain my salvation. And it's very frustrating. It makes me feel lost and I don't know how to overcome it. It certainly is improving after I started to take medication but legalism is something I still struggle with a lot. I hope that the Lord will forgive me for that sin and that He is still willing to save me from the due justice I deserve.
I can relate to a certain degree. You fear, so u wanna make it right to God by doing what's right. In a love relationship with God, you wanna do what's right because you love Him and you want to please Him out of a heart of love and not fear.
I believe this is how we should approach our obedience. Not out of fear of Him but love for Him.
I am working on this myself.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I struggle with the same thing my friend. I’ve gone so long trusting in my feelings, and believing that my works and rule keeping can appease Him, and it’s difficult to know the truth in your head, but also know it in your heart.

Upvote 0

Hopeful37

Mar 20, 2020
Somewhere
✟49,318.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I struggle with the same thing my friend. I’ve gone so long trusting in my feelings, and believing that my works and rule keeping can appease Him, and it’s difficult to know the truth in your head, but also know it in your heart.
How long have u been going thru this?

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It started on its own?
It’s quite possible that falling into legalism and reading scripture out of context can result in depression and anxiety, though I’m not certain where the OCD might’ve come from.

Upvote 0

Hopeful37

Mar 20, 2020
Somewhere
✟49,318.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It’s quite possible that falling into legalism and reading scripture out of context can result in depression and anxiety, though I’m not certain where the OCD might’ve come from.
I hope u get thru brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've heard this fear from other OCD sufferers. In fact, I'd like to suggest that you join the Facebook support group "Christianity and Anxiety Disorders" (if you're not already a part of it). There are a lot of people on there with OCD, and I've heard others mention the same fears that you are talking about.

Upvote 0