Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I am really struggling to find faith. I am not sure what the real root of the problem is. I have posted in this forum however there have been times in my life I thought I was a christian. I have been through many theologies and philosophies and not sure what I really believe. I have had an understanding of christian things to some extent from a young age - but not sure if I have ever really had faith. I have spoken to counsellors and one many years ago said my problem was hypocrisy - i didn't accept that at the time. Its hard for me to see what the problem is. I think I maybe substitute my theological understandings for faith.

Please pray for me.

Thanks

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

I am really struggling to find faith. I am not sure what the real root of the problem is. I have posted in this forum however there have been times in my life I thought I was a christian. I have been through many theologies and philosophies and not sure what I really believe. I have had an understanding of christian things to some extent from a young age - but not sure if I have ever really had faith. I have spoken to counsellors and one many years ago said my problem was hypocrisy - i didn't accept that at the time. Its hard for me to see what the problem is. I think I maybe substitute my theological understandings for faith.

Please pray for me.

Thanks
You may be trying too hard. Maybe if you narrow it down to one issue at a time you can overcome your doubts. Make a list of those things you have doubts or questions about. Post them and people on here will give you answers and evidence. You can also pray "God help my unbelief"

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My favourite verse is John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son that all who believe in him will not perish but have everlasting life.

I held onto this promise as a young seeker after truth.
The other verse that stood out was Jesus saying, "Abide in me and I will abide in you".

I clung to this truth until the Lord revealed himself to me.
I pray for you as you seek more of him in your life and his peace in Jesus precious name.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi .. there have been times in my life I thought I was a christian.
Hello dms1972, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you some questions (please feel free to not answer them if they make you feel uncomfortable in anyway).

My first question is, why did you feel that you were a Christian (in the past), but do not feel or are not sure that you are one now? Did something change in your life that led you to that conclusion?

Finally (for now ;)), if we assume for now that you are not a Christian, why do you want to become one? I realize that escaping the Lake of Fire in the age to come is certainly the primary (and often only) reason that people give for wanting to become a Christian, so does that pretty much sum it up for you too, or is there another reason (or reasons) in your case, and if so, what are they (again, if you don't mind me asking)?

Praying for you.

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - I'm not sure if my story of coming to faith will be of any interest to you, but just in case, here you go (this is the short version ;)).

I was baptized in the church as an infant and then raised there (so to speak) as well. I attended Sunday School through 6th grade, I sang in the children's choir, then the youth choir, went on retreats, and was finally confirmed. Then I joined the main congregation and attended church regularly throughout high school (you know, the whole 9 yards).

I stopped attending church and turned to a fun, but increasingly sinful life in my late teens and 20's, during and after college, still believing myself a Christian however (why wouldn't I have?), until the day that I finally became one that is, two months after my 30th birthday.

That's when everything changed :amen:

If you'd like to hear more details, and/or if you'd like to hear why and how I came to saving faith, and perhaps what some of the differences between my first 30 years (as a non-Christian) and my last 35 years (as a believer) are, just let me know.

• Friendly
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @dms1972

Were you baptised in Holy Spirit? It doesn't sound like it, but I may be wrong.

If not, seek this above all things. This should be your number 1 priority. Then you will find joy, peace and guidance for your soul. Trying to live a Christian life without the baptism of the Spirit is difficult and dry. So again, seek this above all things.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I found this to be true in my own life. I had grown up in a church, knew scripture, was even baptized, but I did not have the faith I thought I should and I left the church because of it. It wasn't the fault of the church, it was my own lack of belief.

I had to come to belief on my own. It wasn't until I started to believe wholeheartedly (without doubt) that the floodgates opened and my life was changed.

If you are hanging onto doubt, you must resolve it before your faith can grow. For some of us, the only way to do that is to find proof of God in our own way, so that we can solidify that belief that we should have.

Part of the faith problem can be a desire to hang onto the world and not let go of it. You have to reach a point in your life where you are ready, both to believe in God and to let go of the trappings of the world. Otherwise, your attachment to worldly things will drag you down and your faith will wane because you're trying to straddle a fence.

I lived this for thirty years, so I know what it's like. Just how do you find the thing you need to straighten your path? It's different for each person.

Hebrews 11 have some important points to make on on faith:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
  • Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
  • But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Please pray for me.

Thanks
Do you love Jesus Christ of Nazareth?

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only struggle, I see, is that one might be listening to the whispers of Satan in one's mind, to cause them to be seeking answers by their own reasoning and seeking a feeling. IF one will simply read John 1; John 3; John 14, Romans 8 as starters, they can HEAR our Creator-God speaking to them. God says: 'he that HAS the Son, has eternal life' (note the Epistle: 1 Jn.5: 10-12) ---a plain statement of truth. IF one speaks in private prayer to God, and asks the Lord Jesus into their heart as Savior and best Friend, He will come by the indwelling Holy Spirit. Thank Him for His promise, and begin walking and talking with the Lord Jesus ---the only way to come to God ---who is the Holy Spirit. As one talks daily with the Lord Jesus as a 'best Friend' they will find Him there and ever ready to undertake for needs, peace, and blessings. If, however, they want something greater they are tempting God ---not a wise thing to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have for a long time tended towards embracing ideas about God, theologies and such (eg Barthianism) - so a sort of ideational 'faith', I don't think this is biblical faith - but its the direction I tend to go.

Well, as usual, I empathize with you, dms1972. However, in my epistemological understanding of the human situation, I expect the act of 'believing' to be neither easy nor straightforward; I also don't think the having of an authentic faith in Christ necessarily involves achieving an absolute sense of confidence in various ideas and/or formulated dogmas which are often embedded in doctrinal standards innovated by various Christian thinkers.

I for one won't let anyone tell me that my more existentially inclusive faith isn't "real faith," and from your own shared admissions in the past here on C.F., I think you'd do yourself a favor by simply seeing at least some of your struggles as cognitive in nature (i.e. OCD or other) rather than all of that which your former counselors have attempted to imply that it is. We all have some amount of moral deficiency in our lives, but a lack of feeling "saved" might not be due to your mere failing spiritually or morally. It could even be a chemical imbalance within the biological structures of your brain, none of which would be your fault if it is indeed the case.

So, maybe take some of what your counselors tell you with a grain of salt, especially if it comes comes from those who can only throw Bible verses at you in order to magically re-spiritualize your walk toward Jesus--with a grain of salt.

Maybe they need to repent (or be more expansively educated) rather than you, DMS.

For my part, I wouldn't put up with such guilt tripping talk from counselors ...

... remember, we will continue to see through a glass darkly as long as we are in this mortal life. Only a very, very few will be provided the kind of experience that Paul was given on the road to Damascus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, as usual, I empathize with you, dms1972. However, in my epistemological understanding of the human situation, I expect the act of 'believing' to be neither easy or nor straightforward; I also don't think that the having of authentic faith in Christ necessarily involves achieving some absolute sense of confidence in various ideas and/or formulated dogmas that often are embedded into doctrinal standards innovated by various Christian thinkers.

I for one won't let anyone tell me that my more existentially inclusive faith isn't "real faith," and from your own shared admissions in the past here on C.F., I think you'd do yourself a favor by simply seeing at least some of your struggles as cognitive in nature (i.e. OCD or other) rather than all of that which your former counselors have attempted to imply that it is. We all have some amount of moral deficiency in our lives, but a lack of feeling "saved" might not be due to your mere failing spiritually or morally. It could even be a chemical imbalance within the biological structures of your brain, none of which would be your fault if it is indeed the case.

So, maybe take at least some of what your counselors--especially that which comes from those who only throw Bible verses at you in order to magically re-spiritualize your walk toward Jesus--with a grain of salt.

Maybe they need to repent (or be more expansively educated) rather than you, DMS.

For my part, I wouldn't put up with such guilt tripping talk from counselors ...

... remember, we will continue to see through a glass darkly as long as we are in this mortal life. Only a very, very few will be provided the kind of experience that Paul was given on the road to Damascus.

I do think my problem might be to do with hypocrisy - I have a head knowledge of sorts of theology but it doesn't seem to go deeper. So people have asked me if I really am a christian because the sort of stuff I have said at times doesn't line up.

Then again I have been into various philosophies - when I say into them I mean not in a cursory, detached way, but rather some passage takes on reality for me - its as if I inhabit those particular philosophical ideas I experience them as my reality and then its very hard to live with and hard to get out of them, so in some way I attempt to mentally "split-off" from myself. When I started to get into postmodernism and the ideas took hold of me - it was a complete nightmare because if you know anything about those philosophies, postmodernism deconstructs modernism and the modern understanding of the self. The basic question that I seem to grappling with from very young is the question "Who am I?" .At times have fallen into the trap of answering that in terms of what philosophy I was holding to eg. "I am a existentialist" or "I am a postmodernist".

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do think my problem might be to do with hypocrisy - I have a head knowledge of sorts of theology but it doesn't seem to go deeper. So people have asked me if I really am a christian because the sort of stuff I have said at times doesn't line up.
So far, in my remembrance of our interactions over the past few years, I can't recollect anything you've said that specifically indicates a problem in your thinking other than that you don't feel confident in your beliefs toward Christ. But in that, I don't think you're alone really.

Then again I have been into various philosophies - when I say into them I mean not in a cursory, detached way, but rather some passage takes on reality for me - its as if I inhabit those particular philosophical ideas I experience them as my reality and then its very hard to live with and hard to get out of them, so in some way I attempt to mentally "split-off" from myself.
Yeah, we're very similar in this regard. I can say the same, but the difference being is that I don't think anyone has actually sufficiently criticized my point of view other than to day they "don't like it" or "it's not what their denomation teaches."

When I started to get into postmodernism and the ideas took hold of me - it was a complete nightmare because if you know anything about those philosophies, postmodernism deconstructs modernism and the modern understanding of the self.
You and I have already talked about this in the past somewhat. And I do know about these philosophies since I have a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy.

The basic question that I seem to grappling with from very young is the question "Who am I?" .At times have fallen into the trap of answering that in terms of what philosophy I was holding to eg. "I am a existentialist" or "I am a postmodernist".
I can understand that. However, I don't think of my own existential leanings as an 'identity' as much as it is a state of thought at the present moment. I still have to look at the Scriptures and engage with the figure of Jesus and ask myself, despite my existential wanderings and Pascalian concerns, "Who do I say that Jesus IS"? That's all that makes the difference. It's not so much who I think I am in the face of other people or other Christians, but who Jesus Christ is and who He thinks I am.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is belief? You had to believe that posting this would be of some value to you, right?

Im not sure I probably see it as some sort of mental act. My problem has been I talk as though I believe (because I know a bit about christianity) and then I am told to "turn my will over to the Lord" and I realise I don't really believe and find myself stuck.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im not sure I probably see it as some sort of mental act. My problem has been I talk as though I believe (because I know a bit about christianity) and then I am told to "turn my will over to the Lord" and I realise I don't really believe and find myself stuck.

Therein is the problem for you; to either come to our Creator-God on HIS terms (as I explained already herein), or continuing your reasonings as you seem to prefer. Again I invite you to read and pray over John 3 and John 14, and hear God speaking to you in His immutable "Word of Truth". I will pray for you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Therein is the problem for you; to either come to our Creator-God on HIS terms (as I explained already herein), or continuing your reasonings as you seem to prefer. Again I invite you to read and pray over John 3 and John 14, and hear God speaking to you in His immutable "Word of Truth". I will pray for you!

I was listening to a talk online (by David Pawson) he says John's Gospel is meant for believers - because he says at the end of Chapter 20 it should be understood as - "this is written that you may go on believing..."

(its at around 44- 45 minutes in this clip)

Well my difficulty is I don't think I believe in a Creator-God per se. I have been through stages away fom believing in God. Didn't most people in Bible times already believe in God - but they didn't believe in Jesus .

Well as I say I went through various stages - perhaps some sort of idealism then some sort of existentialism to a "head" belief in God (or perhaps just in an idea of God) ie. it didn't really affect how I lived - I went from that into secularism - then to New Age ideas (self as God) and then back to some sort of Hegelian or Barthian view - I am not really sure the progression. I think some of those progressions involved choices but I am not really sure when I moved from one I left the other behind, and their are probably bits of other philosophies and modern psycholgies in there.

The Gospel (good news) is for people who already believe in God in the sense of a Creator, and not just an idea.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am really struggling to find faith.

Hmmm... You can't go through a day without exercising faith in all sorts of things. You have faith that the producers of the food you eat have been careful and law-abiding in making that food; you have faith in the electrical system in your city, trusting your lights will come when you flick the light switch, or turn on your t.v.; you have faith in the chair you sit in, believing it will hold you safely, and so on. It isn't, then, that you don't have faith but that you don't want to exercise it toward God.

I think I maybe substitute my theological understandings for faith.

This can happen. Knowledge about God can replace knowing Him personally.

Do you believe God loves you? Are you really convinced He does? Have you "tasted and seen that the Lord is good"?

It isn't doctrine God offers to you but Himself. He's the Big Deal in Christianity. So, what do you think of God? Is He small in your thinking? Maybe distant, cold and threatening? Too busy for you perhaps? Kinda' touchy and sour?

• Friendly
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm... You can't go through a day without exercising faith in all sorts of things. You have faith that the producers of the food you eat have been careful and law-abiding in making that food; you have faith in the electrical system in your city, trusting your lights will come when you flick the light switch, or turn on your t.v.; you have faith in the chair you sit in, believing it will hold you safely, and so on. It isn't, then, that you don't have faith but that you don't want to exercise it toward God.

Yes I have a problem believing there is a God and trusting Him.

Does God love me? Well I posted a link about that from David Pawson - basically he argues we can count on God's love once we are believers - not as unbelievers. Wereas some others say God loves everyone unconditionally - but I guess for me its belief in God, in his existence / reality that I struggle with - I have been through all the arguments from time to time as well as the modern theology (in this case Tillich) and how it says we should not speak of God as existing like a thing or object.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Please pray for me.

Thanks
Dear one,
There is no need for you to struggle to find faith if you understand what John the Baptist have said :

He who comes from above is above all. He who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks in an earthly way. He who comes from heaven is above all. -John 3:31

Dear one, if you continue to consider those philosophers who are of earth belongs to the earth, you know that they speak in an earthly way.

Dear one, what you need to hear is He who is Christ who comes from above ; for Christ who comes from heaven is above all.

Dear one, consider what apostle Paul have said:
For those who live according to the flesh set their MINDS on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. -Romans 8:5
For to set the MIND on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. -Romans 8:6

For the MIND that is set on the flesh is HOSTILE TO GOD, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. -Romans 8:7

Dear one,
you need to know the mind cannot be subjected to God’s law, is considered HOSTILE TO GOD. For the mind that set on the flesh, indeed, the mind cannot accept what God has said through His Son. When your mind cannot accept what God has said through His Son, you cannot have faith. That is why you are struggling in finding faith.

But dear one, you need to consider this word”hostile”.

What is the word “hostile” mean ?

It means that if you continue to set your mind on the things of the flesh, God considers you to belong to the enemy and He will oppose you.

Dear one, I don’t mean to scare you. This is what we have heard:

If a man does not repent, God will whet His sword; He has bent and readied His bow; -Psalms 7:12
He has prepared for him His deadly weapons, making his arrows fiery shafts. -Psalms 7:13

Dear one, do not resist the Lord’s grace of repentance, that He has spoken through His Son.
Repent, that you may be found in His grace.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes I have a problem believing there is a God and trusting Him.

Why? For some, it is because they think they can find God in the facts about Him. Knowing about God, though, is not the same as knowing Him directly. Though I have read all the facts about the Queen of England, I cannot therefore claim to know her personally, can I? So, too, with God.

At some point, if one is to truly know God, one must move beyond the mere facts about Him into an actual, personal relationship with Him through the indwelling Holy Spirit. Cerebral types often have a tough time with this because a relationship with God is much more..."messy" than a nicely ordered collection of facts about Him. God'll get into your stuff; He'll upset your life, making profound changes to it; He'll want you to order yourself under His will and way; He won't be subject to your finite capacity to reason, and so on. What about you? Are you afraid, perhaps, to know God directly?

Does God love me? Well I posted a link about that from David Pawson - basically he argues we can count on God's love once we are believers - not as unbelievers.

Interesting. I don't want to hash out Pawson's view with you, however. Not having heard his argument for such a view, I can only say that, as you've described it here, I wouldn't agree with him.

Wereas some others say God loves everyone unconditionally

I wouldn't say this. Clearly, God does present us with conditions under which we may know and fellowship with Him. He can't, for example, be a holy, just God and turn a blind eye to sin - which is why He sent His Son to die for our sins, right? And why we must "repent and be converted."

but I guess for me its belief in God, in his existence / reality that I struggle with - I have been through all the arguments from time to time as well as the modern theology (in this case Tillich) and how it says we should not speak of God as existing like a thing or object.

And the Incarnation? Is Christ (who is God) not an "object," a concrete thing? The Bible indicates so, glorified though he is.

In any case, while God the Father is Spirit, He nonetheless invites us into intimate communion - fellowship - with Himself (and all the members of the Trinity):

1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

2 Corinthians 13:14
14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

1 John 1:3
3 what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Revelation 3:20
20 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Upvote 0