• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling to cleanse my mind.

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’ve been going through a spiritual test for the last year. I’ve had similar tests for a number of years, but, about 6 months ago, i felt like this test was starting to affect my mental state in a highly negative way. Where I was getting very evil thoughts which would disappear when telling Satan to scram, but, sometimes those evil thoughts are overwhelming. I continuously pray asking God to fully cleanse my thoughts and my mind and to erase those evil thoughts forever, but, they always return. Just about everyday and it scares me to have those types of thoughts in my mind.

I even told God. Why should I see a psychiatrist to be put on meds or have to go to a mental hospital bc this spiritual test wasn’t caused by me and now, I still have to deal with not only getting thru this test, but also resisting these evil thoughts

Have you ever dealt with getting evil thoughts telling u to do something to someone? Why won’t God cleanse my mind? I’ve been begging him to cleanse and heal my mind and as with everything else, I feel like God is being silent. I’m at a total loss with what to do.

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve been going through a spiritual test for the last year. I’ve had similar tests for a number of years, but, about 6 months ago, i felt like this test was starting to affect my mental state in a highly negative way. Where I was getting very evil thoughts which would disappear when telling Satan to scram, but, sometimes those evil thoughts are overwhelming. I continuously pray asking God to fully cleanse my thoughts and my mind and to erase those evil thoughts forever, but, they always return. Just about everyday and it scares me to have those types of thoughts in my mind.

I even told God. Why should I see a psychiatrist to be put on meds or have to go to a mental hospital bc this spiritual test wasn’t caused by me and now, I still have to deal with not only getting thru this test, but also resisting these evil thoughts

Have you ever dealt with getting evil thoughts telling u to do something to someone? Why won’t God cleanse my mind? I’ve been begging him to cleanse and heal my mind and as with everything else, I feel like God is being silent. I’m at a total loss with what to do.

JS: when I was a teenager I had something similar. I never left my faith in G-d but I did wander a little that might be the reason. For me disciplining my body helped to discipline my mind. Also marring my husband helped because he gave me support and honest feed back.

Still, you may have a psychological issue as well and that might be benefited with medicine or behavioral feedback, or even dietary changes. It doesn't hurt to check that out and their are Christian Physiologist, our local Priest happens to be one.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some trials last longer than six months. Keep reading the word and fellow shipping with Christians. God is always wanting to show us He is the God of this situation. He probably deliver you. He want to develop a lasting love- through thick and thin. He does for me. God allows it for his purposes.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our God never fails His "children" (if we ARE His children by faith in His "beloved Son" --the Lord Jesus: John 14). Yes, Satan works to deceive us daily (the 'beguiler'). Stay close to the Savior and walk and talk with Him, and Satan will flee away (for a time, at least). Daily we need our Lord and bring every trouble to Him.

Upvote 0

Kobo

Mar 9, 2021
Chicago
✟10,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Why are you convinced that this is what you call a "spiritual test" and not a mental illness as it appears to be?
Have you ever dealt with getting evil
thoughts telling u to do something to someone? Why won’t God cleanse my mind? I’ve been begging him to cleanse and heal my mind and as with everything else, I feel like God is being silent. I’m at a total loss with what to do.
Yes, I have! It is called "Clinical Depression" and I am glad that after over 30-something years suffering in silence, waiting for God to, as you say, 'cleanse my thoughts and my mind', I sought help from medical professionals. I was put on a treatment plan(medications) that eventually helped me better understand what it was that had been keeping me from God all that while.

If you ever decide you have suffered enough and are ready to get the best help to clear your mind, and allow you better understand where God is in all of this, let me know, I can recommend some actions as far as how to deal with your psychiatrist.
I know God's Will will be done in your situation.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why are you convinced that this is what you call a "spiritual test" and not a mental illness as it appears to be?
Yes, I have! It is called "Clinical Depression" and I am glad that after over 30-something years suffering in silence, waiting for God to, as you say, 'cleanse my thoughts and my mind', I sought help from medical professionals. I was put on a treatment plan(medications) that eventually helped me better understand what it was that had been keeping me from God all that while.

If you ever decide you have suffered enough and are ready to get the best help to clear your mind, and allow you better understand where God is in all of this, let me know, I can recommend some actions as far as how to deal with your psychiatrist.

I know God's Will will be done in your situation.

Upvote 0

alive2Christ

Apr 20, 2012
✟23,798.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The trial that involves evil thoughts are from Satan. I suffered just over 2 years of it. The evil thoughts always against God, actually started in the mid 1960s but they were only one or two once in a while. I remember reading a magazine which contained classified ads, a book about “evil negative thoughts”. I remember thinking “oh, that’s what I get”. At that time, I prayed asking God to “Disregard the thoughts”. I didn’t have them much for a few years after untill the late 70s and they were a little bit more frequent but still just once in a while. I prayed the same way telling God I don’t know why I would suddenly think the opposite of what I wanted.

In 1985, I had an argument with my brother when he said my dad had been a deserter from the army although he went back. I was mad and said very foolishly, that “even if Jesus was standing here, I wouldn’t believe him saying that”. Well, that was the last of any words I heard my brother saying, because I felt really hot and terrified at what I’d said.

Our local church had a new minister around that time and my older brother said he was a bit aggressive, so I did not want to be shouted at, but desperately needed to ask someone what to do. I remembered a church in a town about 3 miles way and I went there. It had a female minister who just weakly told me to say sorry. I didn’t feel her advice was any good to me so I went walked back home and went to a Roman Catholic Chapel. The priest wasn’t there so I had no choice but to go to the “scary minister”. He gave me a prayer written about Jesus on the cross and dying for me and I repented using that prayer. Now, the terror I felt was intense! I managed to get some sleep and next day, I felt so much better. The terror was away. When at work, I was delivering fruit and veg to a girl at her dept in the supermarket and she surprised me by saying “ oh you usually say so much swear words, but you haven’t said one just then!”. I didn’t even notice until she said that.

A few weeks later, the thoughts came back, but this time they were thick and fast mostly saying the words “curse god” over and over. This was terrifying. It started in that little space of time in the morning just as you are aware of being awake, but before you open your eyes. It only ended as I fell asleep. Every day, constantly this occurred. I had to have conversations with people and answer against these thoughts.

Then one day, not long after, my brother came from the attic saying “look, here’s an old book dad had, by that guy who wrote Pilgrim’s Progress” the book is called “Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners”. In this book John Bunyan writes about the same kind of satanic attack I was having. It made it more bearable knowing they weren’t from me. About a year and a half later, I was in the bus to work and I prayed for two weeks rest from this trial because I reckoned God had His reason for allowing this. I got my 2 weeks rest and it was amazing! My mind was completely quiet! It felt so so good. They went away after a little over 2 years. Any time thoughts of that kind occurred after that has been few and far between and very mild in comparison so I can easily cope.

I have had other strange trials. One frightening one was compulsions to do things like touch my male boss inappropriately. Another compulsive temptation was when I was at the top of the Scott’s monument in Edinburgh Prince’s Street Gardens. I had a temptation to throw myself off! These compulsions feel like your body will do the thing whether you resist or not but it never happens. I re-read John Bunyan’s book where he recounts a time when he was in his pulpit and felt that his mouth was going to utter things completely against the gospel on its own. Feeling that there’s just a second until your body carries these things out with or without your permission, is frightening. Another compulsive feeling was that I might stab my wife half way through an ordinary pleasant enough conversation in the kitchen! Horrible things. These things are few and far between now and very much weaker and not worrying.

Here is something written by John Newton that I found about a year ago, which may be of help to someone.

I asked the Lord that I might grow

VERSE 1
I asked the Lord that I might grow
In faith and love and ev’ry grace,
Might more of His salvation know,
And seek more earnestly His face.

VERSE 2
‘Twas He who taught me thus to pray,
And He, I trust, has answered prayer,
But it has been in such a way
As almost drove me to despair.

VERSE 3
I hoped that in some favored hour
At once He’d answer my request
And, by His love’s constraining pow’r,
Subdue my sins and give me rest.

VERSE 4
Instead of this, He made me feel
The hidden evils of my heart
And let the angry pow’rs of hell
Assault my soul in ev’ry part.

VERSE 5
Yea, more with His own hand He seemed
Intent to aggravate my woe,
Crossed all the fair designs I schemed,
Humbled my heart and laid me low.

VERSE 6
“Lord, why is this,” I trembling cried;
“Wilt Thou pursue Thy worm to death?”
“’Tis in this way,” the Lord replied,
“I answer prayer for grace and faith.”

VERSE 7
“These inward trials I employ
From self and pride to set thee free
And break thy schemes of earthly joy
That thou may’st find thine all in Me.”

To anyone going through these things, God Bless you, you are in famous Christian’s company.

People like John Bunyan, John Newton, Martin Luther, Charles Haddon Spurgeon and by the way he was talking about attacks by the devil, I think Dr.Martyn Lloyd Jones has experienced these kinds of inward trials too. These are the ones I know of so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0