Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone, my entire life, but especially in the past two years in college, I have struggled a lot with insecurity. Insecurity about my abilities, my future, and ultimately insecurity about whether or not people like me. I do naturally struggle with awkwardness when conversing with people, particularly those I don’t know well, and often try to compensate through attention-seeking behavior. I know that my true value is in Christ and what He has done for me but I often struggle with putting truth into practice. I ask for prayer that God would give me strength and courage to lay aside this sin and burden and insecurity, to truly find my value in Him, and to look for ways to love and affirm others rather than always seeking their attention. Thanks and God bless

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, my entire life, but especially in the past two years in college, I have struggled a lot with insecurity. Insecurity about my abilities, my future, and ultimately insecurity about whether or not people like me. I do naturally struggle with awkwardness when conversing with people, particularly those I don’t know well, and often try to compensate through attention-seeking behavior. I know that my true value is in Christ and what He has done for me but I often struggle with putting truth into practice. I ask for prayer that God would give me strength and courage to lay aside this sin and burden and insecurity, to truly find my value in Him, and to look for ways to love and affirm others rather than always seeking their attention. Thanks and God bless

Knowing a lot about anxiety, insecurity (which is often down to out of control anxiety provoking thoughts), feelings of that sort and the thoughts behind them can help a great deal over a period of time. Reading through books and articles and trying out any techniques recommended might not have immediate effects, but as you absorb that information and so get a better understanding of what's behind it, you will begin to feel and be more in control. New Scientist for example regularly publishes articles on behavioral sciences and related topics, and there's always Amazon for books.

Breathing techniques can be surprisingly effective also for developing a calmer outlook - Dr Andrew Weil is an MD who has stripped away the religious wrapping on Eastern breathing techniques to focus on their practical uses, worth checking that out too.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you don't mind me asking how long have you struggled with this? Also, how old are you? I always felt a bit awkward around new people and a Doctor suggested I get tested for Aspergers which is a term not used anymore in the US (I think?). I was so sure I didn't have it right up until they gave me the results of the tests, which said I do have it.

Just something to consider looking in to possibly?

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟477,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That's really a beautiful description of who you are and demonstrates a remarkable self-awareness. I pray that you take that view of yourself and step back away from yourself while holding God's hand. I pray that God will talk with you about yourself and why He has made you this way. I pray you will then discover your special design and how it can be used to help you grow. I pray you will discover you are being prepared for your mission to serve God by serving others. I pray for peace. I pray your search for this new self-control will be found in your talk with God.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree on the self-awareness part and am struck by and encouraged by your desire to amend your ways and draw closer to God. I pray that he give you the wisdom, courage and strength to do just that. God bless you.

Upvote 0