✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi!

I was just wondering how other ministers wives couped with the stress to be perfect in the eyes of the congregation. I think some people believe that the pastor and his family should NEVER make mistakes. I feel like I might be a volcano ready to erupt. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Heart4Him

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genuine said:
Hi!

I was just wondering how other ministers wives couped with the stress to be perfect in the eyes of the congregation. I think some people believe that the pastor and his family should NEVER make mistakes. I feel like I might be a volcano ready to erupt. Any suggestions?

I have felt this way, too. I sometimes have to really make an effort not to say something that I might regret to people who are being unfair. I am very opinionated, and it's hard for me sometimes to refrain from exrpessing exactly how I feel when these issues come up.

For me, what most upsets me is when it concerns my children. I have heard (not directly, of course) that a few people have said that they wished I wouldn't come to certain events because my kids might be too noisy. Of course, they don't mention any of the other families with young kids because they are just thrilled when any of them attend church programs. However, if my kids are not perfect, then they don't want us around. And I will do everything I can to protect my kids from hearing comments like that. We have rules, and we expect them to obey us, but we do not expect them to be perfect just because they are the pastor's kids.

The other thing that really annoys me is when people criticize my husband unfairly--for instance, when he takes a stand on principle and makes a decision that someone doesn't like, which they take personally and then proceed to gossip about it with all of their relatives and friends.

Anyway, back to your original question, what I have had to realize is that I can't change other people. No matter how many sermons we do or Bible studies we lead or whatever, there are some people that just never seem to get the point of being a Christian. All I can do for some of them is pray and try to be a good example myself.

The only person that I can change is myself. I tend to be very critical of myself and very perfectionistic, so I don't even need the church members to do it for me. I have had to learn gradually (and I'm still working on it) to lighten up on myself and not obsess about all the things that I could have done differently in the past--something that is difficult when others are adding to the criticism. I think that it is important to be realistic about the things that you can and can't do and to stick to your convictions, no matter what other people say. If I am walking with God and relying on Him to help me do the things that He wants me to do, then I have an assurance that is not so easy for others to break down.

Another thing that's really hard for me to do, but which I think is important, is to be kind even to those who are being unkind. I was reminded one day recently of the text in Proverbs that says, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger" (15:1). I had received a rather impatient e-mail from a church member who was irritated with me for not finishing something as soon as she would have liked it done. I was kind of hurt by it at first because I thought she was being a bit selfish, complaining about how busy she is and how much I was inconveniencing her. When I mentioned it to my husband, he said, "Maybe if you give her a gracious response, she won't be annoyed about it anymore." So I wrote her a brief but nice e-mail. Then, when I saw her in church the next week, she came over and gave me a hug and was very friendly. I found out later that she had had an especially busy week at her job and was under a lot of stress, so I thought that probably affected the way she wrote to me. I was glad that I had not followed my first impulse, which was to write back a similarly annoyed message.

Another thing that I struggle with is making friends in the church. I feel this wall of separation that I can't cross because I'm "the pastor's wife." Most of them don't seem to see me as a friend or even as a regular person. They all have their own friends already, and it's hard to fit into their little social circles. I can't talk to most of our church members about personal things because they gossip too much. Obviously, I can't talk to them about problems that I have with specific people. I have to keep a lot of it inside, and it gets to me after a while. I guess that's where prayer comes in. I find it easier to deal with all of the stress and unrealistic expectations--and everything in life, really--when I make more time for prayer. It's especially difficult to harbor bitterness or anger toward other people when I pray for them.

On a practical level, I have been getting more involved in activities outside my own church to make friends. I go to a non-denominational women's Bible study/mothers of preschoolers-type group (where they provide child care). Also, I have been thinking of trying to start some kind of monthly informal get-together (like for lunch) with the other pastor's wives in town. The men have ministerial association meetings, but I thought it would be a good idea for the women to get together regularly, also, because we can share some of these frustrations that we all experience.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genuine said:
Sophia:

You have no idea how WONDERFUL it is to hear another person who UNDERSTAND exactly what I feel! Thank you SO MUCH, I don't feel alone now :)

You're welcome. :) I'll keep you in my prayers as well.

God Bless,
Sophia

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I use to stress over this, then I realized that if God wanted me to be a certain way, He would have made sure I was that way. He made me the way I am. If I am not perfect as far as the members are concerned then maybe it is because of their ideas, not God's plan for me.

I have had people tell me that I am "not a normal Pastor's Wife." I would take that as a compliment. Really now, what is normal?

I am who God made me, I serve in the ways God makes way for me. I am not perfect. I mean who is? This parish seems to accept me for who I am.

Is what really gets me is how my children were expected to behave a certain way, or be in attendance of everything at church, held to an almost unattainable level. When my kids were young and dealing with asthma, sinus problems, ear infections and allergies, there would be times where we would not make it to worship as one could not leave young children home. They didn't seem to care that a child was wheezing, I should have been there and so should the kids. We have always lived in small, rural places so this was probably felt to a greater degree. Maybe not.

Time to get off of my soapbox.

Pray about it and let God direct you in your life.

God Bless
Jane

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
QuiltAngel said:
I use to stress over this, then I realized that if God wanted me to be a certain way, He would have made sure I was that way. He made me the way I am. If I am not perfect as far as the members are concerned then maybe it is because of their ideas, not God's plan for me.

I have had people tell me that I am "not a normal Pastor's Wife." I would take that as a compliment. Really now, what is normal?

I am who God made me, I serve in the ways God makes way for me. I am not perfect. I mean who is? This parish seems to accept me for who I am.

Is what really gets me is how my children were expected to behave a certain way, or be in attendance of everything at church, held to an almost unattainable level. When my kids were young and dealing with asthma, sinus problems, ear infections and allergies, there would be times where we would not make it to worship as one could not leave young children home. They didn't seem to care that a child was wheezing, I should have been there and so should the kids. We have always lived in small, rural places so this was probably felt to a greater degree. Maybe not.

Time to get off of my soapbox.

Pray about it and let God direct you in your life.

God Bless
Jane

I'm not a "normal" pastor's wife, either, and I also consider that a good thing.

We've always lived in small, rural places as well, and I think that does make it harder. We lived in one town with a population of 150. The old people would drive around town for entertainment because there was nothing else to do. If I went outside to work in my garden, they would drive by at about 10 mph and stare. That really used to annoy me. Maybe it wasn't a great thing to do, but I used to stare back at them, and then they would drive a little faster. Whenever family came to visit us from another state, we would get a call from the person who wrote the town gossip column for the newspaper to get all the details. They would print who went to whose house for Sunday dinner or whatever they could come up with for "news." If we didn't get our lawn mowed exactly when everyone else thought we should, they gossiped about it to all of their neighbors. That town gave me a new perspective on living in a glass house.

Now we live in a slightly larger town, on a quiet street, and have a big hedge around our back yard. It's very nice. People are still people, though, and they still get upset about the stupidest, most unimportant things. It is so frustrating to try to encourage people to reach out to their friends who are not Christians when really they don't act much like Christians themselves.

Upvote 0

meganahan

Apr 11, 2006
Texas
✟16,035.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Sophia7 said:
The only person that I can change is myself. I tend to be very critical of myself and very perfectionistic, so I don't even need the church members to do it for me. I have had to learn gradually (and I'm still working on it) to lighten up on myself and not obsess about all the things that I could have done differently in the past--something that is difficult when others are adding to the criticism.

I can't imagine that many people are harder on me than I am. It's something that I have struggled with for a long time....WAY before I became "the preacher's wife". Our current congregation is very kind and very gentle. I'm a little bit (a lot) nervous about how his next appointment might turn out. The good news is that I have a long time to get used to this role before I have to face a brand new congregation. :)

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
meganahan said:
I can't imagine that many people are harder on me than I am. It's something that I have struggled with for a long time....WAY before I became "the preacher's wife". Our current congregation is very kind and very gentle. I'm a little bit (a lot) nervous about how his next appointment might turn out. The good news is that I have a long time to get used to this role before I have to face a brand new congregation. :)
We have only lived in small rural towns also. In our last one, I would say if you want to know what is going on in my house, ask the neighbor across the street, she seemed to know more than I did.

I am also harder on myself than most people are on me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heart4Him

I'll still love you, Lord.
Jan 11, 2006
✟31,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sophia7 said:
I have felt this way, too. I sometimes have to really make an effort not to say something that I might regret to people who are being unfair. I am very opinionated, and it's hard for me sometimes to refrain from exrpessing exactly how I feel when these issues come up.

For me, what most upsets me is when it concerns my children. I have heard (not directly, of course) that a few people have said that they wished I wouldn't come to certain events because my kids might be too noisy. Of course, they don't mention any of the other families with young kids because they are just thrilled when any of them attend church programs. However, if my kids are not perfect, then they don't want us around. And I will do everything I can to protect my kids from hearing comments like that. We have rules, and we expect them to obey us, but we do not expect them to be perfect just because they are the pastor's kids.

The other thing that really annoys me is when people criticize my husband unfairly--for instance, when he takes a stand on principle and makes a decision that someone doesn't like, which they take personally and then proceed to gossip about it with all of their relatives and friends.

Anyway, back to your original question, what I have had to realize is that I can't change other people. No matter how many sermons we do or Bible studies we lead or whatever, there are some people that just never seem to get the point of being a Christian. All I can do for some of them is pray and try to be a good example myself.

The only person that I can change is myself. I tend to be very critical of myself and very perfectionistic, so I don't even need the church members to do it for me. I have had to learn gradually (and I'm still working on it) to lighten up on myself and not obsess about all the things that I could have done differently in the past--something that is difficult when others are adding to the criticism. I think that it is important to be realistic about the things that you can and can't do and to stick to your convictions, no matter what other people say. If I am walking with God and relying on Him to help me do the things that He wants me to do, then I have an assurance that is not so easy for others to break down.

Another thing that's really hard for me to do, but which I think is important, is to be kind even to those who are being unkind. I was reminded one day recently of the text in Proverbs that says, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger" (15:1). I had received a rather impatient e-mail from a church member who was irritated with me for not finishing something as soon as she would have liked it done. I was kind of hurt by it at first because I thought she was being a bit selfish, complaining about how busy she is and how much I was inconveniencing her. When I mentioned it to my husband, he said, "Maybe if you give her a gracious response, she won't be annoyed about it anymore." So I wrote her a brief but nice e-mail. Then, when I saw her in church the next week, she came over and gave me a hug and was very friendly. I found out later that she had had an especially busy week at her job and was under a lot of stress, so I thought that probably affected the way she wrote to me. I was glad that I had not followed my first impulse, which was to write back a similarly annoyed message.

Another thing that I struggle with is making friends in the church. I feel this wall of separation that I can't cross because I'm "the pastor's wife." Most of them don't seem to see me as a friend or even as a regular person. They all have their own friends already, and it's hard to fit into their little social circles. I can't talk to most of our church members about personal things because they gossip too much. Obviously, I can't talk to them about problems that I have with specific people. I have to keep a lot of it inside, and it gets to me after a while. I guess that's where prayer comes in. I find it easier to deal with all of the stress and unrealistic expectations--and everything in life, really--when I make more time for prayer. It's especially difficult to harbor bitterness or anger toward other people when I pray for them.

On a practical level, I have been getting more involved in activities outside my own church to make friends. I go to a non-denominational women's Bible study/mothers of preschoolers-type group (where they provide child care). Also, I have been thinking of trying to start some kind of monthly informal get-together (like for lunch) with the other pastor's wives in town. The men have ministerial association meetings, but I thought it would be a good idea for the women to get together regularly, also, because we can share some of these frustrations that we all experience.
So much of what you said sounds like my experiences as a pastor's wife.
Especially the making friends part...I know how you feel and the more pw's I talk to, the more the story sounds the same.
I'm just so thankful we have a constant and true Friend in Jesus that we can trust and confide in and talk to about anything and not worry about it.
I'm so glad to know that there are other pastor's wives here! I don't think I've ever met one here yet until now. I just realized this part of the forum was here.
God Bless you all!

Upvote 0

Valentine

Legend
Feb 22, 2005
Virginia
✟39,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wow, Sophia and all you wonderful blessed ladies of God!!! Your posts touched my heart!! I am the daughter of a pastor (and consequently a Pastor's wife). I'm much older now and my dad has gone on to Heaven, but I feel your pain!! It was sooo difficult as a preacher's kid being constantly judged by the congregation (or at least I felt I was being judged). Praise the Lord for all you pastor's wives who not only face the daily battle of being expected to be more than human and who also face the constant heartbreak of knowing that your children are being examined as well. You all have my prayers each and every day. My father used to say that whereas God called him to preach, God also called my mother to be the Pastor's Wife. You are very precious. :hug::hug::hug:

Upvote 0

Ms.Garnet

Apr 13, 2005
✟9,016.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ladies ! I am a little late getting in on this conversation - but I have enjoyed it & even laughed as I read it. For one thing - I've been there , done that and still am experiencing it. I was 19 yrs. old at our first church & was expected to teach teens and pronouce those Bible names just like my seminary graduate husband! Now , 32 years later, I am still expected to teach the adult ladies class (without any prior notice ) when the regular teacher decides to go out of town, etc.! At our 2nd church I horrified the dignified "old southern" ladies by going bare foot around our house. Yard work is a passion of mine & we had a deacon at the 2nd church actually tell us he used his rifle scope to watch me on my hands & knees pulling weeds from the garden (in my sleeveless blouse & shorts so I could get a tan.) I gave up the garden almost instantly. I wore head to toe gear outside & kept ALL curtains pulled on the deacon's side of our house! When someone said something curt about my kids in my hearing range - I quickly announced that they were not any worse than any other child - but rather their every flaw is pointed out & drawn attention to because of being a PK. I got so fed up after a few years of being expected to be "Super Duper Mrs. Preacher" that I told one pulpit committee (that started asking this preacher's wife one question too many) - Do Not Expect Me To Do Anything You Would Not Expect Your Wife to be over here doing. I have small children and a busy life too. I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU EVER BEING SO RUDE & BRAZEN.
I have had to tell my own DH that I AM NOT YOUR ASSISTANT PASTOR . My husband is not cruel, but he sure thinks if it needs to be done then I should sure fill the spot if no one else jumps in. He also thinks if you are breathing - you should be at church! He is so used to me being his cheerleader and right hand gal - really spoiled - when I was younger I did enjoy "it all" , but now I have to just say "no" sometimes.

Upvote 0

Heart4Him

I'll still love you, Lord.
Jan 11, 2006
✟31,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so glad that you came to this forum, Ms. Garnet! I am really looking forward to hopefully learning from you and maybe gleaning from some of your wisdom as a pw of so many years!
As a pw of only 3 years, I appreciate all the advice and help I can get!;) :o
It has been a "learn as I go" kind of experience so far...not much mentoring at all from other ladies. So, please keep on posting!:clap: :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ms.Garnet

Apr 13, 2005
✟9,016.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ladies! I will try to learn your names! I haven't been with you for several days. Thank you for making me feel so welcome to this site! Your kind words are making me blush. If I say anything that helps - I give all the glory to God. I have to be very careful how I say/state things - 98% of the time I write in "jest"/hoping it comes across as humor -not so sarcastic that I sound hateful. I look forward to hearing from each of you too - I am sure you have much to teach me !!!! Have a happy weekend. We are headed to our daughter's house Sat. (2 hrs. away) for a FATHER'S DAY cookout for all the fathers ! Blessings - Ms. Garnet

Upvote 0

walkingbyfaith

Jun 16, 2006
Lake Tahoe, CA
Visit site
✟7,767.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you ladies for all your great advice. I'm pretty new at being a pw, and as I wrote in another thread on this subject, still learning a lot about it. God isn't done with me yet! I guess this is really something you have to grow into. My Dh and I are recovery pastors, being called to it b/c of our own deliverance from addiction, so our ministry is a little unconventional, but there is still so much pressure to be perfect and a good role model on us. And we have to deal with a lot of people still very sick, so there is a lot of back-biting and gossiping, and we have even had our house broken into, been stolen from, had women who try to seduce my hubby and men try to touch me. We run a transitional house for recovering addicts, so it's a 24/7 job. I have to work so hard to keep my attitude one of love and grace, sometimes you get tired of the mess, and a lot of times, you get your heart broken seeing people you come ot care about choose over and over again to return to the evil of addiction. I have to keep my relationship with the Lord strong every day to do this work. I have been blessed by finding this site, and look forward to getting to know all of you better. Blessings to all.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
walkingbyfaith said:
Thank you ladies for all your great advice. I'm pretty new at being a pw, and as I wrote in another thread on this subject, still learning a lot about it. God isn't done with me yet! I guess this is really something you have to grow into. My Dh and I are recovery pastors, being called to it b/c of our own deliverance from addiction, so our ministry is a little unconventional, but there is still so much pressure to be perfect and a good role model on us. And we have to deal with a lot of people still very sick, so there is a lot of back-biting and gossiping, and we have even had our house broken into, been stolen from, had women who try to seduce my hubby and men try to touch me. We run a transitional house for recovering addicts, so it's a 24/7 job. I have to work so hard to keep my attitude one of love and grace, sometimes you get tired of the mess, and a lot of times, you get your heart broken seeing people you come ot care about choose over and over again to return to the evil of addiction. I have to keep my relationship with the Lord strong every day to do this work. I have been blessed by finding this site, and look forward to getting to know all of you better. Blessings to all.

Wow, that sounds like a really tough job! We have a recovery ministry at our church, but it is not a full-time thing, and we are not in charge of it; we have a guy who has overcome several addictions himself who takes care of it. I do know how hard it is to see people whom we have advised refuse to get help and just continue ruining their lives, though. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Upvote 0

Ms.Garnet

Apr 13, 2005
✟9,016.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your name fits you well - Walkingbyfaith -your ministry is truely one that would require faith! My DH works full time in mental health and many of his clients are addicts. I really admire you, I personally don't think I could fill your shoes - unless of course I felt a very strong calling from the Lord about it. I will remember you & your husband in my prayers.

Upvote 0

walkingbyfaith

Jun 16, 2006
Lake Tahoe, CA
Visit site
✟7,767.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you ladies for your kind words...most of the time, we do feel we are blessed to be called to this ministry. There ARE victories, even though they are rare, they do happen, and they make it all worth it. And we press on with the knowledge of our deliverance, and if it could happen to us, it can happen for anyone. God is such a big God, and He wants all His children to be well. And I really have no right to complain, one of the "perks" -- BLESSINGS-- of this job is we live in amazing Lake Tahoe for free! Two Bay Area Brats, living in this wonderful place. We thank God for it every day. :amen:

Upvote 0