USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The same would happen here. It depends on the neighborhood. We don’t have street preachers in my area or anyone sharing a message or protesting. Its a lucrative shopping and restaurant district with enough business support to keep things quiet. He would have never lasted 19, let alone one year here.

One begets another. If he’s permitted to preach you have to give equal access to other groups. The same is true for religions. If he can talk about hell you can’t disallow a message on jihad or infidels.

If its delivered in a public space you run the risk of complaint and police involvement. That’s true for most places. He doesn’t get a pass because of his beliefs. Most speakers believe in what they’re saying. That doesn’t mean the public should be subjected to the message.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you uncomfortable with the public being subjected to the message?

Every street preacher I’ve encountered sounds like him. You would assume that’s all the bible says. If it was that simple we’d have few debates or disagreements. It’s a fire and brimstone message.

While I’m a believer, I don’t want him screaming outside of my window. I don’t live in a residential neighborhood and I’m being honest. The same holds true if he was selling donuts or promoting a different message. I would view it as a disturbance.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The same would happen here. It depends on the neighborhood. We don’t have street preachers in my area or anyone sharing a message or protesting. Its a lucrative shopping and restaurant district with enough business support to keep things quiet. He would have never lasted 19, let alone one year here.

One begets another. If he’s permitted to preach you have to give equal access to other groups. The same is true for religions. If he can talk about hell you can’t disallow a message on jihad or infidels.

If its delivered in a public space you run the risk of complaint and police involvement. That’s true for most places. He doesn’t get a pass because of his beliefs. Most speakers believe in what they’re saying. That doesn’t mean the public should be subjected to the message.
If by “here” you mean America, maybe not.

A lot of evangelists will open-air preach at DMV’s and other government places precisely because the government generally has no legal right to tell the evangelists to shut up and go away if all they’re doing is preaching religion.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If by “here” you mean America, maybe not.

A lot of evangelists will open-air preach at DMV’s and other government places precisely because the government generally has no legal right to tell the evangelists to shut up and go away if all they’re doing is preaching religion.

Shopping centers don’t usually fall in that category. Hence the complaints.

• Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Street evangelists in NZ?
---
I was in NZ last year...several cities / short trip.
- I did not see any... a bit disappointed.
---
I was involved in street evangelism..years ago.
- I usually stop and spend time when I see 'street evangelism' going on.
---
He used the phrase 'open air', right?
- It was more like 'open air' style..Christian movement in the first century.
---
Maybe he got in trouble..because his style/message was
too strong?
- More 'seeker friendly' message.. might have been okay?
..saying this with sense of humor!!

Blessings,

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interested to know what folks think of this...

Seems to me completely ineffective, and not in line with how the Bible depicts Paul preaching to non-Christians.

For more effective are the NZ Pentecostal groups that approach random strangers on the street and offer to pray for what's troubling them (a lot of those strangers wind up attending church).

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That’s kinda funny to me because I remember starting out with a tract that said what does it take to go to hell and the inside was empty. And I happened to give it to a Jewess who was with a satanist and along came a backsliden knowledgeable big guy that targeted me. lol. No cop would be in that district but it turned out fine. Those who are deep into sin are more receptive than those who are sunk into complacency.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So are such preachers operating out of a false 'spirit of judgement' or is the fruit there.

You would expect some serious impact after 15 or so years? Jonah certainly didn't need that long to see a whole city repent - days not years...

Is this purposely provocative saying "feminists are going to hell"

Is it being done because you can? Or is it directed by His Word?

We seem to have the steel fist in the street and the velvet glove in the church and nothing much in between...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums